PDA

View Full Version : So what router would you really recommend for me?

Joshua Dinerstein
08-17-2009, 6:59 PM
Ok OK. I know I know. I hate these types of questions over in the wood turning forum. There is shows up mostly as "what set of turning tools/chuck/accessories would you recommend"... There are both a bunch of answers and a million posts on the subject.

But I swear I tried searching. Then I just started working my back 1 page at a time. I found only limited information. Mostly people talking about a specific router.

I posted a thread here a bit ago about what to outfit a shop with. I am mostly a wood turner. But I want to build a few things for around the house. One of the constant comments in my thread, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=117948, was that I would need a good router or 3 or 4. I started researching them. I thought table saws were a bad thing to research. My goodness!

So I started with some of the obvious things: Searches here, google searches for reviews and tool types and I found something that is extremely consistent. If there are 50 reviews on a tool then:
- 15-20 of them will love the tool and consider it the best thing they ever spent money on it and will give it 5-out-of-5.
- 7-10 will consider it everything they could have hoped for and for some reason will give it a 4 (If it does what you want and is a real value for the money why give it a 4 instead of a 5?)
- 3-5 will give it a 3 often citing nothing wrong with it except for something minor. Came in yellow and would have preferred black etc...
- There will be no 2's for whatever the reason.
- There will be at least 5 1's. Most of which will state that if they could have given it a 0 or even gone negative they would have.

Now here is where it goes all wonky on me and I realized that I will never reach a conclusion on my own with my limited time and resources. (I.e. I can't buy 1 of ever router out there...)

IF, and I do mean IF!!!, the reviews who gave it a 5-star rating are right then buying it would be a no brainer. They are often quite convincing stating years of experience both in wood working and in using this tool directly.

But by that same token the people who give it 0-stars are just as convincing. And if they are right no one should ever ever ever buy one of these tools. It would be just as effective as going out in the back yard and using the bills to start a nice fire for roasting marshmallows.

The best part they are both talking about the same stinking tool! Frued? Both the best and the worst! Dewalt, Craftsman, Fesstool, Bosch all the same. Reviews will glow in the dark and melt holes in the couch and the next will state the company should be shot as a whole for building it.

So how does a poor newb like me when it comes to flat work ever make a good choice? He comes here and asks the experts at the Creek.

Now I am expecting conflicting answers. Some will love Dewalt and some Craftsman (well maybe not Craftsman... :) and still others Porter-Cable and so on.

That is fine... But are there certain models from these manufacturers that you have and love/would recommend to others? They can't call suck can they? They can't all be a crap shoot? Even the $800 Fesstool ones aren't universally loved...

So lay it on me? What would you recommend?

So the history after the last thread. I started looking around for way to do what I wanted without investing in a SawStop TS that I just can't swing right now $-wise. I found an old copy of a NYWS episode on routers, I tape them all and watch them as I get interested, I have a BIG TIVO!!! :), and as I was watching his router 101 2-parter I realized that much of what I want to do can be done with a good router, mortise and tenon joints/box joints/dados/etc..., so I thought to myself: Hey! With a few jigs I could build some of what I want.

So I started my search and after almost 2 weeks I have realized I am never going to make the best choice myself.

So what I was looking at. I thought a multi-base kit was probably a good call at this point. I would get more options out of the mix, but at the notable but in my case small cost of extra time getting things setup.

I have also seen the multi-base options range from $99 at Home Depot for the Skill version to almost a $1000 for some high end brands. ACK. That doesn't help. I need to play in the bottom half of that range. *sigh* I was going to be rich, really I was but.... :D

So what is best for someone starting up like me want to get something that will go the distance? The $219 kit from Sears for the Craftsman? The Milwaukee EVS kits I found everywhere for about $250? The Bosch 1617evs that is one of those I mentioned with the serious split in reviews?

Someone, anyone, everyone!!! please help if you can!

Thanks a Million,
Joshua

Eduard Nemirovsky
08-17-2009, 7:32 PM
I would go with most popular model - HP 3HP. I don't have this model, but I do have a three others:D.
In my opinion - most expensive is not the best only if you are looking for something very specific, like above table adjustment, or red cover:D, or light weight and so on... You can choose your router by setting options which you want. If you put together -3hp, compatibility with my table lift, free shipping;) and 8 mm collet you will get only Festool:(.
I always read all review I can find about some tools or TV set or digital camera. And after that I narrow my choices by criteria I thing is most important to me.

Stephen Edwards
08-17-2009, 7:52 PM
Only YOU can answer this question for your needs. If you've thought about what you want the router to do and you've done your research simply take the "plunge" and buy the one that you want that's in your price range.

Personally, I have two of the Bosch 1617 EVS combo kits and one of the Hitachi combo kits. I much prefer the Bosch. Either of those can be purchased for less than $250. There's a good Freud router and PC router and a Milwaukee router.

Just get one and put it to work. Live and learn.

Jim Bowers
08-17-2009, 7:52 PM
I have several routers from a Dremil to the 3 1/HP. Both plunge and fixed base. In fact if you were to ask my wife she would say I am router poor. I have 1-1 3/HP Craftsman, 1-3 1/HP Bosch plunge, 2-2 1/HP Bosch, 1 Porter Cable Trim router, 1 Porter Cable 2 1/HP with fixed and punge bases, 1-3 1/HP Porter Cable plunge , 1-3 1/HP Milwaukee plunge and I also have a Porter Cable Pocket Cutter which has 2 routers. Have I found any brand to be much better than the other? Toss out the Craftsman. I keep it because it is the first router I purchased. The others all work and perform as they should. What I will tell you just stop reading and looking. Go out and buy a router. You will learn a lot about what you want once you use one. They are all good products and you just need service after that. Get a router and have some enjoyment.

Matt Stiegler
08-17-2009, 7:53 PM
I'm no expert, but I was recently facing the same question and after a lot of researching around I settled on the Milwaukee, the 5616-24 kit with two bases. I waited a while and got it when amazon dropped the price to $188. Very happy so far.

Peter Quinn
08-17-2009, 7:53 PM
Funny story. I used to work in the restaurant business as a chef and I recall those online reviews from the "general public" being very similar in nature to the tool reviews on places like Amazon. You have the effusive freak that just has to rave about something they have had to the point you find it hard to believe anything could be that good, you have the few in the middle that some how felt pressured into reviewing something they have had, and as they are not effusive freaks and nothing is perfect, they have some reason to hold back a star or two in almost all cases. I suspect most aspects of their lives are like this. And then you have the disgruntled few that are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, and neither should you! I attribute this disparity in opinion largely to the several personality types of people most likely to bother to fill out reviews and their motivations more so than the actual product at hand. This is not honest consumer reporting to be trusted in any way IMO. The sample set is hardly random. Its mostly a pile of poop.

In any event, I have used a handful of routers in a classroom setting, professionally and in my own shop, and I have mostly found them all to be pretty capable tools each with its own quirks. Some I prefer more or less than others, and I have not used any from the very bottom of the pool, but I know of NO major manufacturer that is foisting junk on an unwitting public. Sometimes the choice comes down the individual using the tool, their stance, the work they do, and the size of their hands. Imagine if we all had to wear the same size shoes and pants?

I have a bosch 1617EVS combo that I enjoy using quite a bit. I use the same router at work quite a bit. I have three 3 1/2HP production routers, one Bosch plunge, one PC, and one pre-borg Ryobi plunge (that is built like a tank). I have used DeWalts, PC, one odd Milwakee, taken a Festool for a test spin, and fondled many more though not under power. They all do the same thing. They turn a bit round and round. For a general purpose all around tool I am very happy with the Bosch 1617EVS kit. Nice plunge base too. I really like the handles on the bosch and the balance of the tool for freehand work in most cases. I have yet to notice much difference between routers in a table situation beyond ease of adjustment if used without a lift.

So there is my pile of...ummm...opinion on the subject.

glenn bradley
08-17-2009, 7:58 PM
I'll solve your problem. Get a Milwaukee.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=82454&d=1203896663

The 5615 combo kit is on sale for peanuts right now:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QV35AK/ref=asc_df_B000QV35AK880874?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pricegrabber2-tools-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000QV35AK

The larger (HP) 5616 motor will fit both bases and allows variable speed. I went the opposite way and bought the 5616-24 combo and used my 5615 in it for mortising and dovetailing, I use the 5616 for larger work (in any 5615 or 5616 base). The exception is the 5625 which lives in the table (base not swappable).

I have owned and do own other brands but they now collect more dust than they create.

Dan Friedrichs
08-17-2009, 8:08 PM
...and I have mostly found them all to be pretty capable tools each with its own quirks.

+1. Don't go crazy with the details. They're awfully simple tools (even something like a ROS has lots of differences like stroke length, speed, pad size, dust collection success, etc), but if it makes a bit spin really fast, then it's a router. The criteria you use to select one will really be silly things like color, weight, if you like the power switch, etc.

Go touch a few, find one that you think you'll like, and buy it. You'll find that it's very usable, but maybe there are a few very minor things that you wished were different. Then next time you go to buy one to continue populating your herd of routers, you'll buy one that's slightly different.

Jeff Willard
08-17-2009, 8:15 PM
Short answer...Porter-Cable. When I caught this disease, an old cabinetmaker told me that for his money, there was only one router-PC. I took his advice and have no regrets. What it boils down to though, is this, you pays your money, and you takes your chance. Pick the color you like-red, blue, gray, and go with it. You probably won't go wrong, provided it has the features you desire. FWIW, I have since picked up a couple of Bosch routers also. Like them just fine, too.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-17-2009, 8:21 PM
Did you see the earlier post on the 99 buck Freud router? I got thier 2 1/4 router and I thinkis it's great, for 100 bucks. You CAN get much better routers, but you gotta pay. How much will you use the router? If it's a lot then buy a high end one.
Oh, the 2 -1/4 Freud has above table adjustment, so it's great in the sense that you don't need a router and a lift too. So, buy 3, since you won't have to spend money on the lift. 2 spare routers.
Soft start, variable speed, 1/2" and 1/4" collets, 2 bases and a router plate. For 100 bucks. You can have 2 spare plates too. Lots of good features in a cheapo router. Toss 'em when it dies.

Just my .02.

Cary Falk
08-17-2009, 8:33 PM
I started out with a Porter Cable 690. I still have it but it sits in the corner after getting the Dewalt DW618B3.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51-D9dqMiYL._AA280_.jpg

David Christopher
08-17-2009, 8:35 PM
Joshua, most of the accessories that are made today fit porter cable routers. and I think they have been the industry standard for a long time. if you want a plain router that will do just about any task and last a life time I think you would be happy with a PC 690..I have had mine for 10 years and it even went under the ocean ( during hurricane Ivan ) for three days, let it dry out and it still works....I also have a c-man and a freud but like my PC the best

Matthew Dunne
08-17-2009, 9:24 PM
i'm no expert

+1

but i was recently facing the same question and after a lot of researching around i settled on the milwaukee, the 5616-24 kit with two bases.

+1

very happy so far.

+1 :d

Maurice Ungaro
08-17-2009, 9:45 PM
I'll solve your problem. Get a Milwaukee.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=82454&d=1203896663

The 5615 combo kit is on sale for peanuts right now:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QV35AK/ref=asc_df_B000QV35AK880874?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pricegrabber2-tools-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000QV35AK

The larger (HP) 5616 motor will fit both bases and allows variable speed. I went the opposite way and bought the 5616-24 combo and used my 5615 in it for mortising and dovetailing, I use the 5616 for larger work (in any 5615 or 5616 base). The exception is the 5625 which lives in the table (base not swappable).

I'll echo what Glenn said: That price is a steal.

Ben Davis
08-17-2009, 9:49 PM
What exactly are these "projects" that you want to do? Inlays? M&T joinery? Is dust collection exceedingly important to you? A lot of what you want to do makes a difference!

If you just want to do edge work, a plunge base/capability isn't necessary, though virtually everyone will agree that you WILL want to have that capability as you progress. You also don't need some 3.5HP monster either. Most simply decorative edge work spins on 1/4" collets (small roundovers, small coves, small flush-trim bits, etc.). You don't need a huge motor to spin those bits! Why grab that heavy and cumbersome 3.5HP beast when your little palm router (think Bosch Colt) will work just great?!?

M&T joinery? You are really going to want plunge capability, though it's not at all necessary! The ability to add guide bushings is a must though as you'll likely be making some sort of jig or purchasing a jig/fixture to help with these things. You'll likely be spinning 1/2" shank bits so a medium powered router will do just fine. Again, you don't need some monster motor to spin these bits, though a small HP palm router likely isn't going to help you at all.

Fancy router table work? Want to raise some panels?!? Now we're talking the big stuff. Invest wisely!! If you're going to be using a router table often you will be itching for a router lift sooner than later. They just make the whole process so much less cumbersome. Be certain that whatever router you want fits into whatever lift you plan on purchasing. Medium routers will work fine in table operations, but understand that you're not utilizing the table at it's fullest potential. Bigger routers can spin bigger bits more easily without bogging down and causing other problems. I can not see raising panels as a hand held operation, thought I'm certain it's done every day.

Joe Bradshaw
08-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Just buy a router. Any router and use it a while. Then you will begin to get a sense of what you want and need in a router. Be warned, routers are like PRINGLES you can't have just one. I now have 10 or 12 and am still loojking for the perfect one.

Matt Meiser
08-17-2009, 10:15 PM
I'd go for:
a) A good name brand--Bosch, Dewalt, maybe Porter Cable (not sure what they've got out now but Black and Decker is clearly repositioning the brand and not in a good way.)
b) Around 2 HP.
c) Variable speed
d) Interchangeable bases.
e) Something that will probably be around for a few years so that you can get a second one at a later date and have everything be interchangeable.

Personally, I've got the DeWalt. The first one is 2-1/4-ish HP variable speed and came with both fixed and plunge bases. My second one is a 1-3/4-ish HP single speed which is fine for most handheld uses. One of the fixed bases is permanently in my router table. About the only complaint I've got with it is that the bases are pretty soft metal and I stripped out the screws for mounting in the router table on the first. I was able to redrill and tap them to the next size and then Loctited the screws.

Dan Friedrichs
08-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Be warned, routers are like PRINGLES you can't have just one.

Ha! That's the funniest (and most true) thing I've heard in a long time...

Peter Kuhlman
08-18-2009, 3:12 PM
I have owned so many!! I had the multi base Dewalts but sure did not like the plunge base. Have not tried any of the other brand multi base units to comment. Personnally, I recommend purchasing a fixed base and a plunger. As others said, routers reproduce after dark and you will wake up one day owning 10-12 or even more :) . For the plunger money, I really liked my Dewalt DW621 2hp router and DW625 3+hp but they may have moved production to Mexico or Asia now. Many nice fixed base units from Bosch and others. I now have the Festool OF1010 and OF 2200 as my primary routers - expensive but so capable. The OF1010 gets 80% of my plunge usage. For router table use, I still recommend the Porter Cable 7518 - built to take any abuse you can give it and universally accepted in router lifts. It also is great as a hand held fixed base router as it is not tippy at all.
Pete

Navin Rao
08-18-2009, 3:18 PM
Hi Joshua,

I'm a novice, hobbyist woodworker that has to work around certain limiting factors: (small space) part of a small garage and the need for excellent dust extraction (daughter is asthmatic). I have no table saw, and use routers a lot. My first router was the Festool 1010. It was expensive, but worth it. I really like the light weight of this router. It gets a lot of work on my dovetail jig (which thankfully came with 8 mm bits). That is one of the downsides of this router. The dust collection is impressive (given my second limiting factor). Last night, I routed eight long, wide dados in 3/4" MDF with minimal clean up required at the end.

I recently got a router table fitted with a PC 7518. I am just getting it set up and dialed in. So far, I am very happy with the capabilities of a light router for hand work and something beefier for the router table.

Prashun Patel
08-18-2009, 3:22 PM
I've read very few reviews of people who hate their routers. I don't think you can go seriously wrong. Your time will be better spent in the ACCESSORIES for the router (and that's where it gets pricey).

Don't get overwhelmed.

To start, get a reasonable router with a plunge and fixed base. Then get a basic SET of router bits like this one:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/set15piece.html

Then buy quality, carbide bits individually on a case-by-case basis.

Don't invest in a table to start. Find some plans for a makeshift table/fence that rests on sawhorses and start there. I counsel that bkz you'll learn a lot about what you want and need ultimately by doing this.

Joel Blauvelt
08-18-2009, 3:30 PM
Simple...get the best router that you can afford.

I have both a bosch and a hitachi. In my opinion the bosch is a much better router...it doesnt feel as cheap as the hitachi. The bosch feels to have a higher level of refinement. I bought the hitachi because I wanted a fixed plunge combo...and got it for $100 when it was on sale...but you know what...both do an excellent job at routing wood/plastic/aluminum. Just go to the store, look at the basic features you want and put your hands on the routers. Press all the buttons, move all the levers...figure out which ones you like and which you dont. Try the most expensive as well as the cheapest to set your benchmark...after that...get the best one that you can afford.

Dave Avery
08-18-2009, 3:52 PM
I sold my Festool OF1400 because I was constantly reaching for a Makita RF1101 (combo kit) first.......

Andrew Joiner
08-18-2009, 6:13 PM
Hi Joshua,

So now that we know what is the obvious number one choice in routers, let's talk drills!

It is hard to chose a favorite. Even my cheapest light weight always did the job OK. I had 11 routers at one time. All were set up with a different bit in them. I think my favorite for edge work was a D-handle PC ( I think it was called a speedmatic). Very handy to have the trigger switch on the D-handle.

Good luck on your search.

Joshua Dinerstein
08-18-2009, 6:54 PM
Thanks to one and all. I have begun to refine my list as was recommended one I started thinking about what I really wanted:
- I do want a "name" brand tool. So no skil, no black&decker, etc...
- I want a base that come ready to act as a simple lift when mounted in a table.
- I want a multi-base setup to start with as it gives me the most flexibility with this first purchase.
- I have yet to decide whether I want a 1 3/4, 2 1/4-ish, 3+ HP router. I can see the benefit when working in a table mount for a huge-ish 3+ HP beast of a router. But for hand-held work perhaps a lighter one is better. Which of course would be the reason that so many here have so many of these beasts.

I have narrowed my list to just 3 choices at this point. Bosch, MW, and Ridgid.

I am leaning away from the Ridgid the advantage is that I can get it here locally rather than getting it offline. The disadvantage is that I don't think it is as good a setup as the other two.

I greatly appreciate the feedback and I am open to more if anyone else wants to chime in.

But again thank you peoples for helping me out!

Joshua

Bill Huber
08-18-2009, 9:23 PM
I am leaning away from the Ridgid the advantage is that I can get it here locally rather than getting it offline.
Joshua

You can get the Bosch at Lowes, that is were I got my first one, I now have 2, one in the table and one for hand held.

I thought I needed a larger one, like a 3 hp or something but I have found that the 1617 does all I need.

The only thing that I have not done with it as yet is to do a raised panel.

Joshua Dinerstein
08-18-2009, 9:41 PM
Hello Ben,

Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions:

What exactly are these "projects" that you want to do? Inlays? M&T joinery? Is dust collection exceedingly important to you? A lot of what you want to do makes a difference!
Mostly at this point:
1- dados to support shelves in a few fixed shelf things I want to build. Some storage stuff for out in the garage, some finer furniture for inside the house too.
2- M&T joinery for some more of the furniture.
3- Rounding edges on the furniture I want to make for her room to keep things safe for the baby as she grows. She is 5 months old now and once she starts trying to walk I don't want her smacking into sharper things in her room.

For now that is pretty much my list. I am sure at some point far down the road I will change my mind just a touch and add something to the list.

You also don't need some 3.5HP monster either. Most simply decorative edge work spins on 1/4" collets (small roundovers, small coves, small flush-trim bits, etc.). You don't need a huge motor to spin those bits! Why grab that heavy and cumbersome 3.5HP beast when your little palm router (think Bosch Colt) will work just great?!?
Yeah, that is why I started looking at smaller routers first. But after watching a NYWS video about routers I realized I could do much of what I thought I needed a table saw for with a good router.

M&T joinery? You are really going to want plunge capability, though it's not at all necessary! The ability to add guide bushings is a must though as you'll likely be making some sort of jig or purchasing a jig/fixture to help with these things.
I definitely want to do this kind of thing. The possibilities with the kinds of jigs you can make in your own shop seems amazing.

Fancy router table work? Want to raise some panels?!?
Eventually yes. I would like to get into making some raised panel doors. I figure I would start with some test pieces for the garage/shop. Make some simple cabinets and put some doors on them. But that is a bit farther down the road than the rest of it. This is where so many people talk about putting there 3+ hp router into their table. I can see where it would help. It has become somewhat clear to me that I am going to need a number of routers for doing different things. But I still need to start somewhere. Right now I am looking at the low-side of middle as a starting point. I will be able to get started and see just how much I really need in order to progress.

Thanks,
Joshua

Navin Rao
08-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Rockler has a special on Bosch router's right now ... it comes with a fixed and plunge base as well as an accessory kit for $199.

jim hedgpeth
08-18-2009, 10:13 PM
I have Ridgids duel base router, very nice, and plenty of power.

Cons: The lock lever on the plung base is a bit too far in, larger hands may be ok with it though.

Not a standard for attachments, so somewhat limited there.

Had to flatten the head of the DC adaptor screw with a file to get the through table T handle height adjuster to fit. It rubs just enough to stop it from engaging.

Pro: powerful, vs, lights in bottom of motor work well, DC adaptors included for both bases, Good general purpose router.

I don't regret buying it, but if you plan on using a lot of accessories you might consider the P.C.

Jim

Alan Schwabacher
08-18-2009, 10:18 PM
I would not get a 3 HP router as my first router, because you want to learn on one easier to handle. People do use these hand held just fine, but it does not seem to me the way to start.

A two or three base set is reasonable. Variable speed is needed for various sized bits, and soft start makes it easier on you to keep under control as it starts up. Go to a store and pick up the different sets. Check the on/off switch position. Some find that important, and like a D handle base with the switch at hand. I have the Bosch 1617EVS, and found that the fixed base works very well in a router table. The problem is that you'll want the fixed base for hand held use too. Don't worry, you'll get it back when you buy a bigger router for the table. But in the meantime, that sized router will work fine in a table and hand held.

As far as accessories go, what are you thinking about? Template bushings are available for most, and all it takes is a subbase to make standard PC bushings fit any router. Edge guides and circle jigs are nice, but available for pretty much anything and easy to make. The 1617 frequently comes with a microadjustable edge guide that works fine. The expensive accessory would be a router lift, and they are available for many routers too.

Colin Wollerman
08-19-2009, 3:07 AM
UUhm, The $99 Freud is available at WoodCraft...Honolulu! so ya better figure in air fare :-) I also have ever popular PC combo set. I am picking up the the 3HP freud cause the PC chokes a little with bigger bits and the price is right. There are some little quirks about the PC but all & all it has been a good machine.
Colin

Simon Dupay
08-19-2009, 5:07 AM
Get a porter-cable can never go wrong with a PC router like the 890 and I also would look at ebay for a 690 as a second router as they usually go for under $100 used.

Russ Kay
08-19-2009, 8:57 AM
Jeez, this forum is dangerous! I was reading the initial post the other day and, curious as to what the Amazon deal was with the Milwaukee router, I looked it up. Quite a deal, indeed. Hmmmm, I thought, I've never been completely happy with the last router I bought (a Triton), so maybe this is a sign for me.

So I tentatively set out an order for the $120 router package (with free shipping) when Amazon popped up a $30 discount offer if I signed up for their credit card. So now the cost is $90, which is what I'd been thinking about spending for a reconditioned Bosch Colt.

Milwaukee should arrive in a couple of days!

Brian Kent
08-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Joshua

From that list of 3, Pat Warner, the router specialist would recommend Bosch and Milwaukee.

Here is his brief article on choosing a router:

http://www.patwarner.com/selecting_router.html

Joshua Dinerstein
08-21-2009, 11:37 AM
While I haven't as yet bought a router for doing this kind of wood working I wanted to say thanks for all the help.

In working with my lathe I am used to trying out the feel of the gouges and skews and what not. So the handle shape becomes a big deal. I have in fact made most of my handles now because I like one particular shape.

Following the advice of many here I drove all of town last night and started picking up the routers and playing with them a bit at a number of stores. I hit Woodcraft, Lowes, HD and Sears in my rounds. I had hoped to find some Milwaukee routers but none of these 4 carry them at least locally. Here is my basic take on them at large:

- I found the Ridgid multi-base kit really quite pleasant to hold. But the type and location of power switch on it isn't something I love. The power-switch is rubberized and a bit shwllow and very high up on the motor housing and takes quite a bit of force to turn on. At least on the display version. I had to take one hand off of the handles to operate it. From what I have read this is kind of a no-no. I could counter by wrapping a hand around the motor until any inertial kick was over but it gave me pause. The work lights on the bottom I think could be a really cool option to have. Being able to see what you are doing is always a good idea. At $199 it is in line with the other costs and has apparently a lifetime guarantee on the tool. I am not sure what that really means in practical use but it is interesting.

- At Sears I found that I really LOVED the feel of theirs in my hands. They ahve the 9.5amp, the 11 amp and their big 2.5 HP rotuers out. These are the all gray motors, the grey and black, and the red respectively. The size and shape of the tool handles was great on the plunge base. Seriously excellent for my hands. The fixed base was execllent as well. The location of the power switch and it's type coupled with the worklights on the base of the motor were a big seller for me. However the D-handle that I was kind of interested in turned out to be all wrong for me. I must have been trying to hold it wrong or something because it felt extremely uncomfortable and unwieldy. My concern with this one is that Craftsman quality isn't what it used to me. So at $219 for the 2.5 HP red ones might not be a good deal. I intend to do some further review searching on these.

- Lowes I found the Bosch 1617evs router set. I liked it. I found the wood handles on the fixed base a bit less comfortable. They were extremely smooth. It was also the heaviest of the options. It seemed quite well made but the combination of the weaker feeling grip on the handles and the higher weight a bit of a concern. The plunge base was good but I didn't like the location of the lock as much. Which was kind of telling. I had really begun to lean toward this one based on features and lifts etc...

- I also got to look at the Skil routers while at Lowes. A whole lot of NOPE! on that one. It was terrible and cheap feeling.

- I couldn't find a Milwaukee but I would really have liked too. Does anyone know if a local retailed carries them? Before I buy anything I want to try them out if possible.

I was continuing to think, incorrectly as it turns out, that getting a large HP router for versatility in work was a good idea. Now I am certain that getting a smaller router for working with handheld tools is at the top of my list. Having enough power is important but being able to work without getting tired/sloppy/etc... is a going to be a key for me. I think that this "lighter but still strong enough" idea is one of the reasons that I like the Craftman equipment. It felt good, was light enough to do a lot of work with. I just wonder at the quality of the tool, longevity and finite adjustment. I am thinking that the Milwaukee is probably a better call for this hand-held process. A better quality tool that is light at 1-3/4 HP weight. So while I haven't necessarily made a decision quite yet I believe that I finally have the keys to be able to make a good decision and be happy with my choice.

Thanks to one and all!

Again anyone know where i might be able to go and see/hold the Milwaukee router?

Joshua

Von Bickley
08-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Simple answer.....

Name Brand

One of Each........ Everybody needs several routers. :D:D:D

Homer Faucett
08-21-2009, 1:21 PM
I, too, have several routers, although I started out just like you: a circular saw and a 1.75 hp router (Ryobi). You can do an incredible amount of work with those two tools, but I did break down and buy a good table saw. Out of all the routers that have been mentioned, I do not have the Milwaukee and Rigid routers, although I did play with the Milwaukees when Lowe's had them for a short time here.

I would personally recommend either the Milwaukee or the Bosch out of the two that you mentioned. I like my Rigid 6" sander (no longer sold), but I always wonder about how long Rigid will support certain models. The Bosch 1617 has been around for a long time, and there are lots or add-ons you can pick up for it. The Milwaukee will probably feel better in your hands if you don't like the slick wood knobs . . . but you can always use some of that black rubber tool handle spray to take care of the Bosch. I'd probably decide based on price--and that Milwaukee is a great deal.

My one recommendation: consider getting a variable speed model. If you plan on having just one router for a while, the variable speed comes in handy when you're swinging a slightly larger bit. Anything 1.75 hp-2.25 hp is going to be plenty for you for now. I don't use a 3 hp router for anything but router table work.

Oh, and when buying bits, if there is a choice, always go with 1/2" shank instead of 1/4" shank.

Rod Sheridan
08-21-2009, 2:54 PM
Ha! That's the funniest (and most true) thing I've heard in a long time...

I was going to disagree and state that I owned zero, then I realized that I didn't own one, so I'm now in agreement.

Then I remembered that I have an E.C Emmerich router so you can own only one.

I must be schizophrenic, the other argument always makes more sense:D.

regards, Rod.

Tom Esh
08-21-2009, 5:57 PM
- At Sears I found that I really LOVED the feel of theirs in my hands....
Joshua

Those are often overlooked, but IMO unbeatable for the price. I've got two of the gray/black models I use for dovetailing and other hand-held work. (They also accept PC-style guide bushings directly.)
I looked at the red model too, but its height adjuster has a limited range whereafter you have to re-set the rack which seemed like it would be a nussiance.

Jason White
08-21-2009, 8:30 PM
Find the biggest, cheapest on-sale router you can find -- but go with one of the better brand names. Check your local Woodcraft stores -- many are clearing out the older model 3-1/4 HP Freud plungers for about $100. It might be the only router you'll ever need (though I doubt it).

Jason

Thanks to one and all. I have begun to refine my list as was recommended one I started thinking about what I really wanted:
- I do want a "name" brand tool. So no skil, no black&decker, etc...
- I want a base that come ready to act as a simple lift when mounted in a table.
- I want a multi-base setup to start with as it gives me the most flexibility with this first purchase.
- I have yet to decide whether I want a 1 3/4, 2 1/4-ish, 3+ HP router. I can see the benefit when working in a table mount for a huge-ish 3+ HP beast of a router. But for hand-held work perhaps a lighter one is better. Which of course would be the reason that so many here have so many of these beasts.

I am leaning away from the Ridgid the advantage is that I can get it here locally rather than getting it offline. The disadvantage is that I don't think it is as good a setup as the other two.

I greatly appreciate the feedback and I am open to more if anyone else wants to chime in.

But again thank you peoples for helping me out!

Joshua

Mike Cornelsen
08-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Whatever router you finally choose, I highly recommend spending a few bucks with Pat Warner for one of his sub-bases. Betcha can't buy just one! And Pat is an outstanding, upfront guy to deal with. UPS (Undeliverable Package Service?) screwed the pooch on my delivery. Pat didn't wait for UPS to make it right. He shipped a replacement order as soon as he found out there was a problem. It was a real pleasure dealing with him.

Stephen Edwards
08-21-2009, 11:40 PM
I really like my Bosch 1617EVS...I have one that's EVS and another that isn't. After working with them a bit the wood handles are perfectly comfy now.

My first router was a Craftsman.....it only lasted for 25 years. Great little router back then.

Agreed with the other poster....get 1/2" shank bits when you can. Get good ones, too.

I wish that someone made a good modern router with the a trigger on the handle. That's one thing I miss.

Joshua Dinerstein
08-27-2009, 2:29 PM
Well I logged onto Amazon this morning and found that the Milwaukee 1 3/4 HP router multi-base kit was on sale even further. $103 for the kit. Only down from $119 but still it was enough to push me over the edge and further into the abyss. I bought. As fast as I could click a few buttons it is on it's way to my house. I love good tools at good prices!!! :)

Thanks for all the help. I am going to have to learn how to use a router now and get some bits. I bought some from HF, a simple kit, but now I am thinking a few higher end bits could be a good addition. I will just wait on that until I have a better feel for how i am going to use them. Maybe an MLCS kit would be a better call.

Joshua

Eduard Nemirovsky
08-27-2009, 3:02 PM
Congratulations:):):):)

Chip Lindley
08-27-2009, 7:04 PM
Joshua, I standardized on Porter-Cable long long ago! There are many other good routers on the market, but for all around simplicity and dependability, IMO you can't beat a P-C 690! The newer 890s have mixed reviews.

For hand-held routing get the D-handle base. For permanent mounting in a router table, the P-C 7518-19's can't be beat! They got Lotsa Butt!

scott spencer
08-27-2009, 7:36 PM
Well I logged onto Amazon this morning and found that the Milwaukee 1 3/4 HP router multi-base kit was on sale even further. $103 for the kit. Only down from $119 but still it was enough to push me over the edge and further into the abyss. I bought. As fast as I could click a few buttons it is on it's way to my house. I love good tools at good prices!!! :)

Thanks for all the help. I am going to have to learn how to use a router now and get some bits. I bought some from HF, a simple kit, but now I am thinking a few higher end bits could be a good addition. I will just wait on that until I have a better feel for how i am going to use them. Maybe an MLCS kit would be a better call.

Joshua

Great deal Joshua....I'm not feeling so good about spending $120 now! :rolleyes: :D That's a tough deal to beat on a very good router.

The MLCS bits are typically a good value IMHO. Katana is their higher end line if you want to move up the ladder, but you'll probably find the MLCS bits to be a step up from HF bits. Other good top shelf choices if you can find a deal...Infinity, Whiteside, Freud, CMT. Have fun and be safe!