PDA

View Full Version : Spoons - more spoons (& a spat)!

Mike Minto
08-17-2009, 5:46 PM
I'm posting pics here because I carve the 'bowls' of the utensils, while I turn the handles. From left to right, they are walnut, crabapple, crabapple, and a tiger maple spatula - no carving on the spat. Just showing the reverse - the other side is shown in the 'Turners Forum'. Also shown is my first large (15" or so) set of salad serving spoon/fork combo, out of walnut. Now the wife wants a salad bowl - go figure! Comments / critiques always welcome! Mike

Chuck Nickerson
09-02-2009, 12:50 PM
How did I miss this? I'm going to do my first spoon carving Labor Day weekend. For the 'bowl' portion, did you power-carve or use gouges? They look great. When I'm done, I'm just hoping mine are recognizable as spoons.

Mike Minto
09-02-2009, 2:59 PM
chuck - i just hand-carve the bowls. i use bent knives from North Bay Forge - very sharp - thanks for the comment. i'm sure yours will look like spoons, haha - what tools are you going to use? mike

Chuck Nickerson
09-03-2009, 1:13 PM
I also have North Bay knives, along with the usual Foredom power carving stuff. Although my wood is not green, I'll start with the NB knives and see how far I get.

Wyatt Holm
09-12-2009, 2:06 PM
Looks good. No-one told me how to make a spoon like that, it sound like we used similar techniques.

Khalid Khattak
09-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Very beautiful spoon..How long it took to complete :)
--------------------------------------

http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/

Mike Minto
09-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Khalid, my time (like most people, i'm sure) is limited, so it takes me a while to make things. The large fork and spoon probably took a week, working some each day. The smaller spoons & spatula are 2 - 3 hours work from cutting on the bandsaw, turning on the lathe, carving the bowl and sanding / finishing. Mike

Dave Halter
09-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Mike,
Nice work. I have turned a few spoons, but don't have a carving knife to carve the bowl. I have tried using a router, but they didn't turn out very good. After searching a few threads I notice that you have knives from Del Stubbs and North Bay Forge. I'm looking to buy a knife and have looked at knives from both of these. I was wondering if you had just one knife to get started with, which one would you buy?

Thanks,
Dave

Clara Koss
09-22-2009, 12:14 PM
love the sets no wonder she wants the salad bowl :o

Chuck Nickerson
09-22-2009, 1:22 PM
Dave - I'm only familiar with the North Bay Forge knives. In my limited (but growing) experience, the knives for hollowing a spoon bowl are the large single-edge bent knives: BNSEL and BNSER. You can get by with only one, which depends on whether you're left- or right-handed.

Chuck

Mike Minto
09-22-2009, 1:57 PM
Mike,
Nice work. I have turned a few spoons, but don't have a carving knife to carve the bowl. I have tried using a router, but they didn't turn out very good. After searching a few threads I notice that you have knives from Del Stubbs and North Bay Forge. I'm looking to buy a knife and have looked at knives from both of these. I was wondering if you had just one knife to get started with, which one would you buy?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave, I think one could get by with a single North Bay bent knife; the small, double edged deep bent or tip bent, curved ones work best for me - I would go for one of those. The larger ones are too big for most spoon bowls, but are great for large projects and bowls. Jim Wester of NB is a great guy, call or email him for a recommendation. Mike

Dave Halter
09-24-2009, 3:26 PM
Mike & Chuck,
Thanks for the recommendations. I contacted Jim Wester at North Bay Forge and he also recommended the deep bent knife for what I want to do. I have one ordered so hopefully I'll be able to expand from spatulas to spoons.

Dave

Peter Benders
09-24-2009, 9:29 PM
Very nice stuff... Though i'm not a professional, carving is my hobby. I have read a lot abt it

Chuck Nickerson
09-25-2009, 1:04 PM
Though i'm not a professional, carving is my hobby. I have read a lot abt it

Peter, you also speak for me. I spent a year reading about carving, buying books, tools, and wood. The last four months I've actually been carving. Now if I can just work it into my furniture...