PDA

View Full Version : mat board edges

Linda Kroeker
08-17-2009, 5:43 PM
Is there some way not to get some what of a burnt edge on vectored mat board? I tried different settings and the best so far
to cut completely through was 40 speed 50 power 1500 freq.
If I lower the power than I have to lower the speed to get it to cut through?? or is there no getting around
the burnt edge? I need somewhat of a clean edge so the residue/burn won't transfer to my display board while handling the cut pieces.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Linda

George M. Perzel
08-17-2009, 5:59 PM
Hi Linda;
Excellent question to which I have no perfect answer as I have fought this problem for a long time. My solution -use black core matboard or spray paint each mat with quick dry paint the color I want-edges are painted also-no complaints so far and allows me to use the same color (white) economical matboard for everything.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Michael Hunter
08-17-2009, 7:45 PM
Lowering the frequency to 500 might help a bit, but getting completely char-free edges on card and board seems next to impossible.

Dee Gallo
08-17-2009, 8:29 PM
I cut business cards and use 30 speed, 50 power and 500 frequency... no charred edges on colored on white Crescent matboard. BUT, that's on a 35w, lower than what you have.

cheers, dee

David Fairfield
08-17-2009, 9:42 PM
Can you just wipe 'em down with a damp rag? That's what I do with my cardboard stuff... If I'm not feeling too lazy! :)

Dave

Robert Alexander
08-17-2009, 9:47 PM
Is there some way not to get some what of a burnt edge on vectored mat board? I tried different settings and the best so far
to cut completely through was 40 speed 50 power 1500 freq.
If I lower the power than I have to lower the speed to get it to cut through?? or is there no getting around
the burnt edge? I need somewhat of a clean edge so the residue/burn won't transfer to my display board while handling the cut pieces.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Linda

Linda, I cut matte board all the time. Here is what works best for me. These settings are for my Epilog helix 45 watt. 25 speed max. 30 to 50 power (some matte board is thicker) and 1000 freq. Now the best way to take care of the burnt edge for me is to put spacers 1/8" thick (usually leftover matte board) in areas on the vector grid where you will not cut, and lay your (flat... very important) matte board COLORED side down. reverse your image in your software program(Corel for me) and cut. If the settings are correct, the matte board will pop out with no mess. If you have dark not light charring it is too much power. Also a small blower, blowing from the colored side out will remove some of the charring without getting it on the colored matte board.

Linda Kroeker
08-18-2009, 1:04 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions...always learning something new!

Does the frequency make any difference on laser time? I had to up the power to 50 so it would go all the way through...so if I lower the speed,
and lower the power isn't the lower speed going to do the same charing and is the lower power going to cut through? I think I'm repeating myself...sorry.

Linda

Bill Cunningham
08-18-2009, 9:17 PM
No, the frequency does not effect the time.. It only varies the pulse of the laser. But spacing out the pulses (lower freq.) you put a little less heat on the cut but the actual 'punch through' power remains the same. With the spaces 'microscopically' further apart, there is less heat build-up along the kerf..

Garrett Nors
08-18-2009, 9:43 PM
If you're running small batches, try using a pencil eraser on the edges...works for me every time (works very well on plastic stock too).

On a semi-related note, I have tried using various types of card stock and even preforated business card paper but they all seem thinner (more flimsy) than business cards you buy from printing shops. What do you guys use and how is it in terms of thickness to a bought card?

Dan Hintz
08-19-2009, 7:52 AM
On a semi-related note, I have tried using various types of card stock and even preforated business card paper but they all seem thinner (more flimsy) than business cards you buy from printing shops. What do you guys use and how is it in terms of thickness to a bought card?
It's thinner because it's intended to be used with home printers that do not handle thick stock very well.

Dee Gallo
08-19-2009, 8:08 AM
I feed all kinds of stuff through my printer, but I always buy printers with a straight feed so the paper is not bent as it travels through. As long as the ink sticks, you're good to go! I've done small paper bags, wrapping paper, cloth, all kinds. You know me, always pushing it.

:) dee

ps- no, you really can't put mat board in a printer unless you want to jam the rollers. But index works fine, which is like "regular" business card thickness.