PDA

View Full Version : New Craftsman/Wixey digital readout

Dave Lehnert
08-17-2009, 4:44 PM
Found this looking through Sears tool catalog.
It looks just like the Wixey digital angle gauge. But this one seems to be a remote unit. The Sears web site does not go into detail.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00922575000P?keyword=digital+readout #descriptionAnchor

Peter Quinn
08-17-2009, 8:29 PM
I have no experience with that device but it makes a lot of sense to me. Maybe it attaches its sensor to the trunion? I wonder if Wixley will follow suite?

Art Kelly
08-18-2009, 4:06 PM
So, for an extra $40 over the mag-mount Wixey, you can buy a gauge that only works with the table saw? :confused: And by the way, the sensor is mounted to a fairly high-vibration environment.:eek:

Hard to imagine you need real-time bevel indicator. I guess it would be useful if you couldn't raise the blade to set it and then lower it to make a shallow cut.

Buy two Wixeys.:cool:

$0.02
Art

Jerome Hanby
08-18-2009, 4:47 PM
I saw something on the www recently where someone had mounted an accelerometer (thingy like the wii remotes use) on the arbor and collected data with a homegrown gizmo based on an Atmel micro controller to calculate the blade height. Seeing that Craftsman gizmo reminded me of it.