PDA

View Full Version : Got me some McFeely's today!!

Brad Hammond
09-08-2004, 9:15 PM
the brown truck guys brought my box from mcfeely's today and i've got only one word to describe these square head screws................. DANGTHESEARECOOLI'LLNEVERGOBACKTOPHILIPS!!!!!!!!!!

thanx to all who posted on my earlier question regarding these screws!
brad

Mark Singer
09-08-2004, 9:28 PM
Your there! That is a good screw as they say....

Frank Pellow
09-08-2004, 9:39 PM
the brown truck guys brought my box from mcfeely's today and i've got only one word to describe these square head screws................. DANGTHESEARECOOLI'LLNEVERGOBACKTOPHILIPS!!!!!!!!!!

thanx to all who posted on my earlier question regarding these screws!
brad

In Canada, we have known this since 1908 when P.L Robertson invented the square headed screw. Check out http://www.robertsonscrew.com/

I would guess that about 95% of screws sold in Canada are Robertson or Robertson clones (since Robertson's patent expired, there are several clones, including McFeely's).

Tim Morton
09-08-2004, 9:43 PM
Can someone tell me why any other screws are even made? I love the square head!! I have yet to see how the flat head screws are still around. :D

Keith Outten
09-08-2004, 9:59 PM
Tim,

Some peoples minds are made up and they don't want to be confused with the facts :)

Even professional carpenters I know just won't give up their phillips head screws nor will they even try square drives to see for themselves.

Eldon Berg
09-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Not only are square drive screws great but screws from McFeeleys are much better than what I have purchased at HD or Lowes. They don't break as easily and are about the same price. You just have to plan ahead or wait.

Eldon

Joseph N. Myers
09-08-2004, 11:41 PM
Brad,

Been using them for at least 15 years and that is almost all I use. I used phillips for some items that customers have to screw together and/or change. I used to give them square head screw drivers but they would lose them.

McFeely's doesn't make any of their screws, they purchase them from other manufactures. I do really like all the information they give about the different types of screws, material, etc. They do identify where the screws are made. Those made in USA, Canada and China seem to be real good, Taiwan not so good.

McFeely's doesn't carry everything. I asked them for years to carry stainless steel hanger bolts which they are now just carrying. But now I need SS wing nuts and other miscellaneous items. For them, I order from other companies like Bruss (Grand Rapids, MI), Atlantic Fasteners (Md) and a local place that just opened a couple of months ago.

While using the screws, even the coated ones, be careful of what type of wood it is, i.e., cedar, redwood and white oak, all have tannic acid that will "rust" the screws and cause staining. Follow the recommendations for "screw usage". And be especially careful of the new pressure treated; as far as I know, only SS will work without problems. I've ended up counter sinking and plugging the screws when I've used those woods.

One thing I might mention is the combination screws, i.e., square and phillips. They can be used in a pinch but they score much lower than either square or phillips in both the "number of screws driven per minute" and "camout torque".

Regards, Joe

Jim Becker
09-09-2004, 10:23 AM
I've noticed a lot more fasteners on manufactured things these days carry square drive or combo Phillips/square designs. That's encouraging as it will make the general public more familiar with these things. I was looking at my fastener "collection" while moving the drawer unit to another spot in the shop the other day...and came to the serious conclusion that I have a bunch of things that I just plain need to throw out...to make room for more square drive fasteners.

Waymon Campbell
09-09-2004, 12:35 PM
I've noticed a lot more fasteners on manufactured things these days carry square drive or combo Phillips/square designs. That's encouraging as it will make the general public more familiar with these things. I was looking at my fastener "collection" while moving the drawer unit to another spot in the shop the other day...and came to the serious conclusion that I have a bunch of things that I just plain need to throw out...to make room for more square drive fasteners.

Jim - I "donated" my non-square drive fasteners to my church handyman for work there.

Chris Padilla
09-09-2004, 1:17 PM
You people are all missing out! Good old slotted (regular) screws are making a STRONG comeback!!! :D :D

Jim, since I've been doing a fair amount of electrical work lately, I've noticed a lot of screws on the metal boxes and outles are coming with the combo square/phillips drives.

Further, since my Kreg jig has been my buddy throughout this whole ordeal, I have quite a few square-drive screws from them although I am running out!! McFeely's, here I come! :D

Edit: I just purchased a bunch of pocket holes screws but I decided to get them through Kreg.... I find I am using them for a lot of stuff in the garage rehab. They are nice for putting in blocks of wood since I can't toenail worth a dang and they sure hold nicely...and can be removed easily!! :D :D

Rich Konopka
09-09-2004, 1:21 PM
Brad,

Now all you have to do is get a Makita, Dewalt, or Panasonic Impact Driver. Life is Wood

Best Regards

Jim Becker
09-09-2004, 1:52 PM
Jim - I "donated" my non-square drive fasteners to my church handyman for work there.
That's a very good idea, Waymon. There are many religious and non-religious non-profit organizations that could benefit from such donations.