PDA

View Full Version : Replacing velcro, what glue to use?

Alan Tolchinsky
08-17-2009, 3:13 PM
Has anybody replaced the velcro pads on their sanding mandrels? I have a 2" pad that's pretty worn out and I have a replacement velcro pad. But what glue do you use? Thanks!

CW McClellan
08-17-2009, 3:26 PM
I would use a rubber base glue -- easier to put a new velcro pad on next time. :D

Richard Madison
08-17-2009, 4:02 PM
I tried contact cement, which did not stay stuck. Next time (in a hurry) used thin CA. So far so good on a 1" pad. Not sure how it would do on a 2" pad which would be subjected to much more flexing.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-17-2009, 4:07 PM
I was wondering about contact cement myself. Thanks for the heads up on that one. I'm not sure where to buy rubber cement though. I wonder if a think coat of epoxy would work?

Bill Bolen
08-17-2009, 4:20 PM
I bought a kit recently and the glue included said "velcro glue" on it. Sure did stick the velcro to my pad. Either came from Home Depot or Ben Franklin. Don't remember which...Bill...

Nathan Hawkes
08-17-2009, 4:46 PM
I tried contact cement, which did not stay stuck. Next time (in a hurry) used thin CA. So far so good on a 1" pad. Not sure how it would do on a 2" pad which would be subjected to much more flexing.

I make my own mandrels, and always use contact cement. It works very well if you follow the setup time required BEFORE you stick the parts together--it has to fully tack up before sticking the 2 surfaces together. Otherwise, the first time you use it if it gets warm, it will spin right off. Thin CA leaves the pad very stiff, and doesn't flex at all. I use 3" pads though, made out of blue open cell foam glued to an MDF disc, with some thin leather glued to the foam for a better adhesive surface for the velcro. I have several mandrels that spin on & off a threaded adapter, which is nothing more than a bolt with the head cut off. That way, I can switch easily between grits, and keep the paper on a pad and just switch mandrels when I'm done with one grit and work to the next. That way the paper and the velcro last longer, and don't take any more time to change than changing paper. Sorry, no pics.

robert hainstock
08-17-2009, 8:31 PM
I recently obtained PSA 13'X9" velcro hook sheets from woodworkers supply in N.C. Saved me big bucks on replacing the worn pads on my orbital sander. Fiskars makes a circle cutter available at most craft stores. both items simplify life. Good luck! :)
Bob

Jeff Nicol
08-17-2009, 8:37 PM
Has anybody replaced the velcro pads on their sanding mandrels? I have a 2" pad that's pretty worn out and I have a replacement velcro pad. But what glue do you use? Thanks!
Alan, I use 3-M spray adhesive and like already said make sure you let it tack up good first. It sticks very well!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
08-17-2009, 9:41 PM
Ditto what Jeff said. Spray 3M is pretty good stuff.

Curt Fuller
08-17-2009, 10:43 PM
The velcro I've used already has an adhesive on the back. But there's also a 3M spray adhesive that should work.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks all, I'm going to track down some 3M. I've used that in the past for some car struff and I do remember that it's very sticky.

Richard Madison
08-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Nathan and Jeff nailed my problem with the contact cement. I definitely did not let it get properly tacky/dry before assembling. Was too impatient as usual. Have used the 3M 77 spray adhesive on various other things with good results.