PDA

View Full Version : is this drill press worth $65?

Andy Sowers
08-17-2009, 2:45 PM
Looking to add a real drill press to my arsenal (you'd laugh if you saw my current one)... I don't have enough budget to buy a brand new one, so been browsing CL and came across this guy:

Supposedly a Enco variable speed DP, 110V. Is it worth investigating for $65?

I can't quite tell from the odd viewpoint of the picture whether its a benchtop or standing DP from picture (I'm thinking benchtop). Anybody know?

Matt Day
08-17-2009, 3:16 PM
It appears to be floormount if I were to take a guess. If it runs and the runout is reasonable, go for it for $65 IMO.

Lee Schierer
08-17-2009, 3:24 PM
I want to look under the hood first to see how hard it is to change speeds, and maybe try offering a bit less, but it looks like it is serviceable. I would inquire as to why it is being sold an also run it to make sure it works. Feel teh spindle for any looseness or side play.

That price appears to be about 1/2 the cost of a new Enco New Enco Bench Drill Press (http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=327-5882&PMPXNO=22539243)

Larry Edgerton
08-18-2009, 7:04 AM
I bought one of those if I am not mistaken, and it was terrible at any price. It is still jambed in the corner of my shop until I move and then I am giving it away. Absolute junk.

I have seen old Sears floor models and similar for $100 or less, keep looking. A bad tool is not an improvement just because it is a bigger bad tool. Chances are what you have now is just as accurate.

Bob Aquino
08-18-2009, 3:28 PM
Looks like a chiwanese benchtop to me. Nuttin special, not worth it in my book.

John Schreiber
08-18-2009, 3:33 PM
As Lee said above, I'd inspect it in person and if it seems solid I'd go for it. Be sure to put in a long, known straight, drill bit and check for run out. There shouldn't be so much that you can see it with your naked eye.

Andy Sowers
08-18-2009, 6:49 PM
Thanks guys...

The seller hasn't replied to me... so I guess its been sold. I am not losing any sleep over it.

I see a lot of craftsman DPs on CL, but I've kinda been avoiding those. Should I be considering them? If so, are there certain mfg years to avoid?

Any other recommendations on finding a ~$100 DP?

Alex Shanku
08-18-2009, 9:21 PM
Any other recommendations on finding a ~$100 DP?

I just sold a 15 year odl delta benchtop that was in excellent condition for that price.

I would hold out and keep my eyes open for a nice, old 14" delta DP220.

I found mine, a 1942 model, for $250.