PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old TS?

Jim Rimmer
08-17-2009, 1:15 PM
In other posts I told the story of burning up the motor in my old Craftsman TS. New saw is in house and being assembled. (Gloat to come) Now what do I do with the old one? It has the base with adjustable feet and a cast iron top. I've gutted the inside and removed everything. I just can't imagine tossing it or selling for scrap metal. It seems like it would make a good tool support for CMS or planer. Any ideas?

Chaz Alexopoulos
08-17-2009, 1:24 PM
Might make a good router table. Would definitely work as a boat anchor.

Lee Schierer
08-17-2009, 2:33 PM
I would check out what a local machine shop would charge to mill out the bottom side to accept my router and make a really solid router table. It would make an incredible router table with a moveable fence and two miter slots.

george wilson
08-17-2009, 2:40 PM
Machine shop would charge 10X the value of the saw around here!

Myk Rian
08-17-2009, 2:44 PM
Would be slick if you could use the crank handle to raise and lower a router.

Chaz Alexopoulos
08-17-2009, 2:57 PM
I would just grind off anything on the bottom of the table that is in the way of the router. Modify a zero-clearance insert, and drill, countersink, and mount router directly to table. I would use a router that allowed bit changes from above.

David Epperson
08-17-2009, 3:21 PM
I think I would have put a new motor in it and turned it into a dedicated dado station.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-17-2009, 3:41 PM
I use my old saw as a Metal cutting saw.
Abrasive blade mounted I can saw steel rather accurately and fast.

Jim Rimmer
08-17-2009, 4:27 PM
I think I would have put a new motor in it and turned it into a dedicated dado station.
It was direct drive and Sears doesn't sell the motor anymore. Repair was in the $150 to $400 range depending on which shop I called. The direct replacement from sears is $150. (I went with a Grizzly).

I'll look into the router table option. I have an RT and considered using this for my miter saw and getting rid of the rickety stand I have now. But I really like the RT idea. :D

Zach England
08-17-2009, 4:38 PM
Post it on craigslist for $500. Call it "vintage." Repeat week after week.

Scott Hildenbrand
08-17-2009, 4:50 PM
You know how much those "vintage" tools are worth.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-17-2009, 5:17 PM
Cover the table with assorted PSA sandpaper and have a REALLY flat sanding table. You could even use the fence to sand a 90 or miter angles.