PDA

View Full Version : dewalt 746x who else has one

roy knapp
09-08-2004, 8:23 PM
who else has the dewalt 746x 10" table saw and how do you like yours.:) how do feel it compares with other table saws in the same price range.
i dont have the sliding table, but i did build a sled for cross cuts and one for miters.

Bob Marino
09-08-2004, 8:31 PM
Hi Roy and welcome aboard.

I have the 746 with 52" rails, mobile base, sliding table and outfeed table for several years now and do like it plenty. I know it's not a cabinet saw, Dewalt never said it is. The fence took a bit of tweaking, but other than that, the saw is a pleasure to use. It's as well built or better than higher end contractor saws. Enjoy it.

Bob

Bill Erskine
09-08-2004, 9:29 PM
I too have the saw (w/sliding table). It's cut anything I fed into it. Bought it because it beefier than most contractor saws and more compact (w/o the motor hanging out the back). I recently replaced the original rails/fence with the Jointech SawTrain system. Enjoy

Ian MacDonald
09-09-2004, 2:57 AM
I've got one with sliding table and 52" rails. I've also added an overarm Brett-Guard. It does everything I need of it. It seems to have plenty of power and with a good ripping blade easily handles thick stock. Dust collection with this saw is also very good with it's blade enclosing dust shroud. (I only wish it had a 4" dust port.)

The only shortcoming I can see with my setup is that the Dewalt mobile base can't really handle the extra weight of the extension table and overarm guard. A base with locking casters would be more appropriate for this saw with the extension table.

Cheers,

-- Ian

Gene Hatcher
09-09-2004, 8:57 AM
I've had mine for over two years and I love it. I just have the 30 inch rails, but I do have the sliding table and the cast iron wing. Someone posted on Woodcentral last year, I think it was "Allen in Florida", that he had enclosed the bottom and back and added a 4" dust port on the back. He said it worked well. I haven't done that as the dust collection is adequate as is. The sliding table works well.

Dan Cameron
09-09-2004, 2:55 PM
I have the 746 with 30" rails and sliding table in my tiny (7 x 20) shop. I move the saw around a lot, often rotating the saw 90 degrees just to go from rip to crosscut. I added a fold-down outfeed table and shop-made side table which holds a router or oscillating spindle sander when needed. All in all I like the saw, with very minor complaints. For one, the levelling scheme for the slider is just plain dumb. And the Dewalt mitre guage is the only one I have seen which does not have holes drilled for adding extensions.

Dan