PDA

View Full Version : Cut acrylic at 45 degree

Charles Gaudet
08-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi everyone. I have a question :
Would it be possible to cut an acrylic sheet at a 45 degree angle using an Epilog?
I wonder if the laser could reflect off the acrylic at that angle. That would be dangerous.
Has anyone ever tried this? What is the maximum thickness you could cut? I need to cut a 3/8 thick sheet.

Scott Shepherd
08-17-2009, 11:58 AM
How many watts is your laser? 3/8" thick on a 45 is just over 1/2 thick. If you've got 45w or less, I think you'll be pushing it to the limit and it'll be very slow.

Charles Gaudet
08-17-2009, 12:02 PM
I have access to a Helix 24, 60W to make some tests, and i'm looking to buy a machine. I can go with a higher powered laser if that would do the trick.

Dan Hintz
08-17-2009, 12:12 PM
You'll want the extra power for. Also be aware that your 45 degree angle will only be in one planar direction... you will not be able to create a cut that is tangential to the entire cut (unless you include some motor-controlled mirror mounts and some custom software!). Let's say your cut is angled down and towards the back of the machine... it works great cutting left to right, but when you start moving forward or back, the angle disappears and the cut is straight up and down.

A custom mirror mount will get you the angled cut, but the application is very specialized... one-dimensional cuts only. If that's the situation, I can think of much easier ways to get that cut without a laser (e.g., router).

Charles Gaudet
08-17-2009, 12:20 PM
One dimentional cut would be ok.

My goal is to use a laser to eliminate steps in my manufacturing process. I want to cut acrylic and get a clear edge at the same time.

I would like to do all that in a single step instead of cutting the acrylic on a router and then sanding and flame polishing to get the final result.

Dave Johnson29
08-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Would it be possible to cut an acrylic sheet at a 45 degree angle using an Epilog?

Once the power issue has been handled, add two metals strips to provide a corner location to one of these. I can drill and tap and add 1/8" x 1" flat bar to whichever two corners you need. Cut, turn cut...

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=418-4202&PMPXNO=951447&PARTPG=INLMK3

David Fairfield
08-17-2009, 12:33 PM
I cut 45 degree bevels in an Epilog they turn out nice and crisp. It can be done, the laser doesn't reflect off the plexi surface. When tipping your material, you have to watch your alignment (use a jig) and the material dimensions for proper clearance. Also be sure the gantry when it travels from the home position won't strike the material.

Dave

Rodne Gold
08-17-2009, 2:41 PM
The edge quality of the laser cut wont be near sanding and flame polishing , and you might still have to do that anyway.

Charles Gaudet
08-18-2009, 2:59 PM
Thanks for the info everyone.