PDA

View Full Version : Stupid is, as stupid does!

Byron Trantham
09-08-2004, 8:18 PM
Well I joined the ranks of the truly stupid! :rolleyes: I ALMOST removed my left thumb :mad: Serious but recoverable in about 4-6 weeks. I had all the safety stuff in place EXCEPT a push stick and I looked away at the last and most dangerous point! Zing! thumb stuff and blood everywhere. I was home alone so I called 911. Had the EMTs in stitches (nice pun byron :D ) The shop floor looks like a slaughter house rather than a woodworking shop.:eek:

Bob Marino
09-08-2004, 8:23 PM
Byron,

Wow, at least your thumb is still intact. Posts like this are a good reminder to most everyone that it only takes a second to have an accident and taking short cuts regarding safety is dangerous.

Bob

Steve Clardy
09-08-2004, 8:25 PM
OUCH!!!!!!!
Get healed up there Byron.

Steve

Chris Padilla
09-08-2004, 8:29 PM
Pics, we need PICSSSSSS!!!! :D

;) Seriously, glad you are okay, Byron. When, when, when we learn!!!??? :)

Waymon Campbell
09-08-2004, 8:38 PM
Byron - Thanks for sharing your accident and its cause. Its a good reminder to all of us that SAFETY COMES FIRST.

Hope you heal up quick...

Wes Bischel
09-08-2004, 8:41 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about your accident. Remember to keep it elevated - of course the throbbing will remind you.

Hope it isn't too bad,
Wes

Frank Pellow
09-08-2004, 8:44 PM
Boy, I bet that you were really frightened. I know that I would be.

Thanks for the reminder that we need to pay attention at all times when using a table saw.

I am glad that it was not more serious and that you will recover.

Byron Trantham
09-08-2004, 8:51 PM
Boy, I bet that you were really frightened. .
YEA, of SWMBO! When she walked out the door this morning she warned me to be careful. ;)

Betsy Yocum
09-08-2004, 8:56 PM
Byron - sorry our safety lesson of the week came at your expense!. Hope you heal quickly. Also really hoping you're right handed - you never realize how much you use a particular finger until you've nearly lobbed it off.

Thanks for the reminder.
Betsy

Jim Becker
09-08-2004, 9:17 PM
Doh!!!

('Hope you heal fast...no fun to get hurt regardless of the severity of the injury)

It's amazing how so many boo-boos happen, despite all the precautions we take, because of, as you point out, a quick distraction. They have yet to invent a "mental guard"...

John Miliunas
09-08-2004, 9:21 PM
Yikes! Really, REALLY sorry to hear of your mishap! :( I truly hope it heals well and quickly. As the other folks have indicated, thanks for the painful reminder. And do NOT listen to Chris! I'd rather NOT have pics of THIS one! :cool:

Todd Burch
09-08-2004, 10:38 PM
PADILLA... GROSS!!!

xrays of nails in humans is one thing - but blood? Gives me the shivers...

Byron, VERY glad you can still count to ten without taking your shoes off.

Terry Hatfield
09-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Byron,

I am so glad that it was not worse. I did it to myself a year ago and I felt pretty stupid as well. Don't get too down. It can and has happened to a lot of us. Keep you chin up and heal well.

Terry

Bruce Page
09-08-2004, 10:58 PM
Byron, I’m glade it wasn’t worse and I hope you heal quickly. I made a cut on the TS a few days ago that was against my better judgment and got away with it. As soon as I finished the cut, I cussed myself out for being so stupid!:o Thanks for the reminder – things can turn to crap in an instant!

David Rose
09-09-2004, 12:00 AM
Byron, docs are always pessimistic. I'll bet you'll heal quicker than that. But I'll bet you will remember it for a while! :eek: How about sending the pics direct to Chris. I think he is the only one with enough love of blood and gore to want to see a buddy's remains. :rolleyes: Anyway, get well quickly.

David

Don Selke
09-09-2004, 12:10 AM
Hey Byron:
Hope you heal fast, I am glad that it was only the thumb and that you still have it although it is injured. All it takes is one slip and OUCH.
Good Luck!

Alan Tolchinsky
09-09-2004, 12:20 AM
Byron, So sorry for your accident and I hope you heal quickly. Sometimes I think of putting a sign in front of my table saw that says," If it doesn't feel right, DON'T DO IT". I think I'm going to do this. What exactly happened? Did you take your eyes off the work when you reached for the push stick? Alan in Md.

Yep, I reread your post and that's what it sounds like what happened.

Kent Cori
09-09-2004, 12:42 AM
Hebee Jeebies! Hebee Jeebies! Hebee Jeebies! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Byron,

I'm glad your injury wasn't more serious and thanks for reminding all of us to stay safe. :o

Jerry Olexa
09-09-2004, 12:45 AM
Byron, hope you heal quickly! You were fortunate, It could have been worse, Thanks for update, Heal well!

Dave Anderson NH
09-09-2004, 6:17 AM
A modest suggestion for future reference. When using the TS, jointer, BS, or router table, I always line up my push sticks and other safety aids within sight and reach before starting the machine. Sometimes this requires a little creativity so they will not interfere with the stock, but I'm sure you can figure out spots. The trick is to mentally plan the operation before proceeding. Always heed that little warning voice in your head. The only times I've hurt myself were when I ignored that little voice and proceeded anyway. Now just keep the wound clean and concentrate on getting better.

Kelly C. Hanna
09-09-2004, 8:23 AM
Wow, bet that hurts a bit! Just be thankful you didn't lose it altogether. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Donnie Raines
09-09-2004, 8:44 AM
Hope you heal up fast and get back in the shop. You dont want to get gun shy.

By the way...did you ruin the lumber you were working with??... :rolleyes:

Tyler Howell
09-09-2004, 8:44 AM
PADILLA... GROSS!!!
Thanks Byron for another lessons learned and heal fast. You got Grampa stuff to do.;)

I agree Todd, Padilla is gross but......... I was the EMT on a few of those home visits and have flash backs everytime I step up to the saws. Not going to talk about unwrapping the guy from the DP and the PTO shaft that went to the hospital with another unfortunate soul. Pictures like with WW projects are a great reminder even if its only in your mind. I'm going to think about messing up my nice clean shop when I step up to the plate tonight.

Byron Trantham
09-09-2004, 9:16 AM
PADILLA... GROSS!!!

Todd,
Don't worry no pics. SWMBO wants a 4' x 8' glossy of the whole thing to post in my shop! :D I think she is trying to tell me something. :rolleyes:

Greg Tatum
09-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Sorry to hear of your accident...Hope you heal quickly...

( I'm with you, Chris, we need pics....it's the morbid gene talking ;) )

Chris Padilla
09-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Hey, I didn't buy a nail gun due to Doc's pics...maybe I'll buy a TS guard/splitter/etc. if I see Byron's mangled limb(s)!! :D These accidents happen so BLOODY quickly...one needs constant reminders!

Heal up, Byron!! How about a pic post-healing?? :D

Dennis Peacock
09-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Byron, Byron.....

What were you thinking to cause you to look away from the cut line? :confused: I'm really sorry to hear about your accident and I hope and pray that you heal quickly and fully.

Tyler Howell
09-09-2004, 12:22 PM
I know discussion on another forum sent me running to the Tool Crib for an Excalibur and splitter. Again Play safe!!;)

David Wilson
09-09-2004, 12:54 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=3 width="90%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#f7f7f7 colSpan=4>Byron
Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope all turns out well. I am including an accident report posted by me on another sight a few years ago. I ended up going back to Dr. several times for about 1 year. The visits to the Dr's office for rehab etc and seeing some of his other patients made me feel very lucky.

Think Safety

On feb 24, 2002 I was making some raised panels with my router table. After doing about 3 passes I needed to raise the router about 1/16". The router would not raise so I reached around and pulled on the bit to raise it. The next thing I knew the router came on doing damage to my right thumb. My wife took me to the emergency room nd later I was taken by ambulance to Minneapolis. About 200 miles.
To make a long story short, they had to fuse the joint in my thumb and I will be out of work for about 3 months.
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#8fbc8f colSpan=4>Advice to other Woodworkers</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#f7f7f7 colSpan=4>Allways unplug your router when doing any adjustments or bit changes</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Mark J Bachler
09-09-2004, 12:59 PM
I've got one finger a little shorter than it should be also. Wasn't as much fun as everyone said it would be. Still hurts when I go ice fishing after 15 years.

Dave Dionne
09-09-2004, 2:34 PM
Byron
Sorry for your accident but glad to hear that a full recovery is on the way. Having grown up in the restaurant business I was always amazed at just how much blood you can get out of a finger. Hey Chris P. I can look and see if I have any old pics of finger tips being sewn back on if you want. hehehe.

Fast healing Byron and thanks for sharing it does make me think the next time I go into the shop.

Dave