PDA

View Full Version : Flip Top Tool Stand

Wes Bischel
09-08-2004, 8:11 PM
Well, I finally got it done. I built this tool stand for my new planer - which is really too big to be portable and not used enough to warrant having it's own space in my small shop. I purchased the plans online, but ended up reworking them to match the size and weight of this unit.
The original plans had two little pins for the tools to pivot on - I used 1/2" drill rod on bronze bushings that goes all of the way through the sides and the mounting plate. Overkill, maybe, but it flips nicely even with the planer alone - with other tools to counter balance it should be easier. (famous last words) They also had a drawer on the bottom, but since I used the flip style wheel raiser, the drawer was nixed for a shelf to hold the various attachments.

So far so good. The empty side is waiting for my bench grinder and a slow speed grinder (to be purchased sometime in the future - next WoodCraft sale? :rolleyes: ) to be used with the lathe tools. This will keep the bench clear of the grinders, but accessible and set-up ready to go. I'm still looking for some nice lynch pins, but have a couple bent rods holding it at the moment.

Thanks for looking,
Wes

David Rose - I think you were looking into one of these a while back - did you ever build it? Just curious.

Jim Ketron
09-08-2004, 8:16 PM
Great job!

I will build something for my 22-580 close to yours when the new shop is done!
That shure beats the TS that I've been using!!
Jim

Bob Marino
09-08-2004, 8:18 PM
Wes,

Very nice. Which plan did you use? What is the cabinet made of?

Bob

Dick Parr
09-08-2004, 9:16 PM
Very nice Wes, that should do the job well.

Jim Becker
09-08-2004, 9:22 PM
That works! Hmmm....I wonder if I could/should adopt this idea for my two ginders?? (Each has different grit combinations as one is use more for "tool making" rather than sharpening...but it takes up space)

Mark Singer
09-08-2004, 9:27 PM
Nice job! This will be a nice add to the shop.

Wes Bischel
09-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Bob,
The plan is derived from Wood Magazine:
http://store.yahoo.com/woodstore/swivtoolcab.html
Plan # DP-00063
It's made primarily from MDF, with plywood and some poplar for bracing.

Jim,
Actually a small version would work out quite well I would think. My grinders will be back to back since the planer made the whole stand so big. I was hoping to put my spindle sander on it, but when I did the drawing I realized I would need a step stool to use it. :rolleyes:

Wes

Bruce Page
09-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Great job Wes. Your tool stand looks like a high end, professional unit to me.

Todd Burch
09-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Good looking cart Wes.

Try Allegis for the pin you need. http://www.allegiscorp.com/jsp/

Todd.

James Giordano
09-09-2004, 4:55 AM
That is super cool. I think I want one.:D

Dave Brandt
09-09-2004, 7:04 AM
Very nice, Wes. Deinitely a space saver there. Two questions for ya... What is the finish you used? And how will you attach the grinders to the top? (It looks like the planer takes up almost all of the surface space, and there's not much space under it to get a wrench on a nut.

Dominic Greco
09-09-2004, 7:55 AM
Wes,
The stand looks awesome! I like the mobility feature you've built in. Did you add any ballast in the bottom to offset when you need to push a big heavy board through the planer?

I am getting ready to build one of these real soon for my belt/disc sander and my planer. I even have the plans from Wood Nov 98 Issue (I think) all ready to go. Just can't seem to find the time to get this done though!

Your idea of putting your grinders on the other side is inspired. Why didn't I think of that! Maybe I should consider build two of these things? :D

Kelly C. Hanna
09-09-2004, 8:19 AM
Nicely done!! I like the color, too.

Jim Becker
09-09-2004, 9:47 AM
My grinders will be back to back since the planer made the whole stand so big.
Since I use the Wolverine system, I can't put them back to back effectively unless there was a very large table surface involved...the "arms" would hit the grinder to the rear. That's why the thought of a rotating cabinet like yours is appealing to me. I only use one grinder at a time, anyway!

Wes Bischel
09-09-2004, 1:38 PM
Dave,
The finish is just Rustoleum smoke grey rolled on with a foam roller. As to attachment of the grinders, once I get the second one, I'll need to remove the planer, install the grinders with the bolt heads countersunk, then replace the planer. If the risers for the grinders cover the planer bolts, I plan on using epoxy to hold the bolts for the planer in the countersunk holes. I've done this before and it worked well. But from my eyeballing, I think the bolt heads will be accessable.

Jim,
I was planning on using a Wolverine grinding jig as well - but putting both grinders on the "riser/spacer" so the support rods will slide under the second, smaller grinder. Am I missing something? I've based this on the drawings and photos of the Wolverine and a few hands-on at WoodCraft so I could be forgetting something.

Thanks, Wes

Jim Becker
09-09-2004, 1:56 PM
I was planning on using a Wolverine grinding jig as well - but putting both grinders on the "riser/spacer" so the support rods will slide under the second, smaller grinder. Am I missing something? I've based this on the drawings and photos of the Wolverine and a few hands-on at WoodCraft so I could be forgetting something.
Since one of your grinders is smaller, you have an easier time adapting to the situation. Both of my grinders are 8" units of approximately the same size, so there would be interference with the two Wolverine systems. Since I have no need to deal with a planer or other type tool other than the two grinders, I really don't have to worry about putting them back to back...one would be "on top" while the other would be "not on top" in the rotaional scheme of things. But that's something for me to worry about "someday" as I have other projects that need done sooner!

John Gregory
09-09-2004, 1:57 PM
Here is one that my wife and I made. And you are correct. One needs a step stool to us the spindle sander. It is a good way to utilize shop space.

Wes Bischel
09-09-2004, 2:48 PM
Jim,
Ah, I see - I'm only using one grinder for the Wolverine (8"), the other is for general hacking (6").

John,
Now that's what it's supposed to look like :D . I found the Delta planer I had was much bigger than the one shown with the plans so I beefed up some of the parts - and the size. Plus I have this thing about putting a skirt on the bottom to cover the wheels - don't know why, but it always ends up on my stands. Maybe it just looks naked without it :eek: . Or maybe it's just the lead sled look I'm going for.

Todd,
Sorry, I forgot to say thanks for the link - lots of neat hardware there! I'll need to tread lightly and not spend too much. ;)

Dominic,
No ballast, the way the plans have the planer oriented is perpendicular to the fixed casters - plus with my substitution of the Delta style swivel wheel and feet adds to the stability. When in use it is sitting on it's feet, not the wheel so it's pretty stable.

Wes

Michael Stafford
09-09-2004, 2:54 PM
I built a similar stand for my portable planer and scroll saw. Mine has a drawer at the bottom for accessories for the two machines it serves. One caution, watch the fingers when you are flipping and have two tools on there. Pinches really hurt when 150lbs. of tools do the squeezing. Voice of experience....

John Gregory
09-09-2004, 2:56 PM
The Delta disk sander is very heavy. I had to resized the plans from the magazine. ( Does anyone build anything precisely to the plan? Doubt it :) )

I used a 1/2" all thread rod thru the swivel top. It rides on metal bushings in thte side. And just out of pure luck, the dust port on both tools are on the same side and I could share my Bandsaw dust collection hose.

Byron Trantham
09-09-2004, 4:17 PM
I made two of these units several years ago and I love them. One contains the planer and sanding station while the other contains the hollow mortise chiseler and grinder.

Wes Bischel
09-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Byron,
I like the addition of the handles on the flip top. The planer has grabs, but not handles and I definetly want to avoid Michael's experience so I may steal that detail. I like the white as well, though I know myself too well - it would be grey in a week. :rolleyes:

Wes

Steve Stube
09-10-2004, 1:14 AM
Maybe you could recess some "Tee" nuts on each side of the pivot top for a flush mount to bolt tools to. They are made with countersunk holes so they can be screwed into the mounting material rather than driven in but I can't find a source at the moment. The ones pictured are readily available in hardware stores - I'm sure you have used them before.

http://www.mcmaster.com/ (http://www.mcmaster.com/)
catalog page 3068[/url]

[url="javascript:chgimg(2);"]http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/110/gfx/small/90975ac1s.gif (http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/110/gfx/small/90975ac1s.gif) http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/110/gfx/small/90975ac3s.gif (javascript:chgimg(4);)

I do like your cabinet and choice of color. Smoke Gray is very prevalent in my shop.

Dominic Greco
09-10-2004, 7:37 AM
[font=Arial][size=2]Maybe you could recess some "Tee" nuts on each side of the pivot top for a flush mount to bolt tools to.

Great minds think alike! Thats EXACTLY what I plan on doing when I get around to building mine. You can get 3/8" T-nuts at Home Depot or Lowes. NOTHING short of a gorilla is going to pulling those bad boys out of plywood.

Now that I've seen everyone else has built one of these flip tops stands, I guess I have no excuse. I'm buying the plywood today.

Wes Bischel
09-10-2004, 9:47 AM
Steve,
Duh - excellent idea. Thanks for sharing - I was on a single track and wasn't looking at alternatives. The T-nut is the way to go for sure. I guess I should pick up a handful and some extra for the next project. ;)

Wes

Tom Sweeney
09-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Now that I've seen everyone else has built one of these flip tops stands, I guess I have no excuse. I'm buying the plywood today.

Check out HD for the ply. My local store (Downingtown) got some new stuff in last week. Poplar 3/4" ply. A cursory look showed pretty decent material: no voids that I could see & decent # of laminations. Kicker is it's just $29.99 a sheet. With BB, oak, etc.. ply starting in the high 30's / low $40's this might be the stuff to get if your store carries it.

Jim Becker
09-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Check out HD for the ply. My local store (Downingtown) got some new stuff in last week. Poplar 3/4" ply. .
The Warrnington store didn't have any the other day that I could find...and I was looking!

Wes Bischel
09-10-2004, 11:01 AM
I looked in Lancaster as well and came up empty. :(

Wes