PDA

View Full Version : Cermark Tape

Steve Clarkson
08-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Just received some sample tape.........how could I have not used this stuff before???? It's AWESOME!!!!! It literally makes a nice black permanent mark on anything! I've tried it on glass, stainless, ceramic, clay pots.....this stuff is GREAT!!

Yea, I'll be ordering a few hundred feet of it tomorrow........

Andrea Weissenseel
08-17-2009, 2:14 AM
I also really like the tape, I use it a lot for small items like cutlery or chrome things. It is perfect for those things where you would waste more than you apply, of the brush/spray on stuff. The only thing I don't like about it is the price ;)

Andrea

Paul Franklin
08-17-2009, 3:34 AM
Steve

Any chance of seeing some results? I would like to see the cly pot?

Thanks

Paul

Randy Digby
08-17-2009, 1:53 PM
Steve,
I'm new to the world of lasers but I am using a fair amount of Thermark tape to engrave clear/silver anodized aluminum. Best trick I've discovered so far is using WD40 to clean the black scrub marks left after the tape residue is scrapped off. Sometimes the remaining tape peels off cleanly..other times, all the black stuff adheres to the part. A quick pass with soap and water and a sponge, after the WD40 and paper towel, leaves the parts perfectly clean. I use two to three feet of tape on each of my pieces.

Steve Clarkson
08-17-2009, 2:50 PM
Thanks for the tip Randy.

Hey, have you used it on glass? I just shattered one trying to use the same settings I used for the stainless........

By the way Frank.......that's my sixth broken glass in the last three months........

Randy Digby
08-17-2009, 3:00 PM
I haven't tried glass yet...only anodized. The tape works in my application where the spray and brush on would not.

Kathy McCain
08-21-2009, 2:24 PM
Hi,
I have a Laser Pro 35 wt, can anyone tell me if the cremark tape works on a lower wt laser?

Randy Digby
08-21-2009, 4:45 PM
Kathy,

I use Thermark on a 30W Speedy 100 marking silver (clear) anodized aluminum. I can't mark full raster bold text, say .5" high so what I do is use the outline of Batang font by making the center of the text transparent. Then I change the text outline from a cutline to a raster line .015" wide. I make my first pass at 50p 100s 250 dpi to locate the text and lines. I then apply the tape and laser at 100p 20s and 1,000 dpi and it works great for my application.

I tried spray and brush-on first with no luck at all. I produce a 12" x 16" plate using about three feet of tape per plate. I've completed about ten since I settled in on the process with my new laser and all have been without marking problems.