PDA

View Full Version : MiniMax MM20

John Olbach
08-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Just purchased a MM20 ... or rather received as a gift. Got it all cleaned up and installed a blade. Tracked it so the teeth are just over the flywheel as per instructions. Cannot close bottom door as the teeth hit the hinge side. Is it possible that the bottom flywheel/pulley is not on all the way? Looks like a major undertaking to adjust. The instruction manual is pretty much useless.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

johnny means
08-17-2009, 1:44 AM
Just purchased a MM20 ... or rather received as a gift. Got it all cleaned up and installed a blade. Tracked it so the teeth are just over the flywheel as per instructions. Cannot close bottom door as the teeth hit the hinge side. Is it possible that the bottom flywheel/pulley is not on all the way? Looks like a major undertaking to adjust. The instruction manual is pretty much useless.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you mean the teeth are protruding over the edge of the wheel? What instructions were these? Something does not sound right. Bandsaw blades should be centered on the wheels.

Dave Novak
08-17-2009, 3:04 AM
Do you mean the teeth are protruding over the edge of the wheel? What instructions were these? Something does not sound right. Bandsaw blades should be centered on the wheels.

Actually, on my Laguna your soposed to track wider blades with the teeth hanging over the edge of the wheel. Particuraly their re-saw master blades.

John Olbach
08-17-2009, 4:49 AM
It is right in the MiniMax "Bandsaw Set-up Video" that is on their web site ... it is an 1.25" resaw blade.

Doug Shepard
08-17-2009, 5:31 AM

The MM wheels are flat not crowned. The teeth should hang over the edge.

Richard Wolf
08-17-2009, 7:32 AM
You will need to check if both wheels are inline, or coplaner. If you find the yahoo minimax group, there is a downloaderable instruction manual for the bandsaw that is much more comprehensive.

Richard

William Addison
08-17-2009, 8:33 AM
The downloadable version is much better than the one that comes with the saw but both of them are for an earlier saw and there have been significant changes to several things.

I have had poor success with MM tech support. I get a "please leave a message" recording and sometimes they call back and sometimes they don't. Once when they did call the tech could barely speak English which is sort of a handicap when you need to explain something.

I mentioned all this on the Yahoo MM forum and Erik Loza, the MM rep, said to just keep calling back and eventually someone would return the call, no mention was made of this person's ability to speak English.

Travis Porter
08-17-2009, 9:57 AM
I have a MM24 and do not have the issue you describe. I agree with the other posters that you will need to check to see if your wheels are aligned.

John Olbach
08-17-2009, 9:56 PM
The flywheels, I think, must be inline as the teeth extend over the edge of each an equal distance.
Question ... is there any provision for the flywheels to move back or forth on the shafts or is it in a fixed position? Again, the instruction manual sent with the saw is useless other than a parts list and even that is questionable. I find it rather odd that the manual I got for a cheap cordless drill I use in the barn is far more in depth than the one I receive for this bandsaw ... a far more substantial and expensive piece of equipment.
Thanks again for any info. It is greatly apreciated.

David Winer
08-18-2009, 9:30 PM
The flywheels, I think, must be inline as the teeth extend over the edge of each an equal distance.
Question ... is there any provision for the flywheels to move back or forth on the shafts or is it in a fixed position? ...
The procedure for adjusting the blade teeth to track just off the front of the top wheel is shown nicely in this MM web video (http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php?option=com_seyret&Itemid=&task=videodirectlink&id=8).

On the MM16 there is a multi-armed contraption at rear bottom, centered on the bottom wheel axis, that likely controls wheel positioning, but this is too scary looking to contemplate without a manual.