PDA

View Full Version : MEGA-gloat!

John Miliunas
09-08-2004, 7:41 PM
This one's been years in the making...quite literally! Our youngest daughter, Casey, who is now 13 decided that maybe her hair was a bit too long, but was very, VERY unsure about having it cut. I wasn't too sure, either! :rolleyes: But, I told her about "Locks of Love", (http://www.locksoflove.org/index.php) which takes donated hair and transforms it into hairpieces for children under 18 years of age suffering from a medical condition with no known cause or cure. :( With that in mind, she decided to go for it! I have the form printed out as I write this and will be dropping the donation and form for delivery tomorrow. Maybe not a big deal for a lot of folks, but right now, we're pretty dern proud of our little girl! :D Thanks for letting me share! I've included the "before" and "after" pics here. The "after" represents 16" less going to "Locks of Love"! :cool:

Jim Ketron
09-08-2004, 7:52 PM
Thats cool of her to do that for some little girl or boy!:D
I would be proud of her also.:D
I know you have seen the marathons(CMN) with those little children wearing hats to cover thier heads from the loss of their hair from the Kemo treatments:(
I think thats super!
Way to go Casey!!!!!!!
Jim

Chris Padilla
09-08-2004, 8:07 PM
Very nice deal, John. Way to go, Casey! Y'all should be proud of each other. The length change looks good, too! :D Keep that shotgun loaded, John...13!? Egad...I don't look forward to the teenage/"dating" years.... :o

Waymon Campbell
09-08-2004, 8:33 PM
What an absolutely beautiful thing to do! :) Casey, I am very impressed and proud of you for your caring and generosity. :cool:

John - You raised her good...

Dick Parr
09-08-2004, 9:06 PM
That's great John, you both did a good job. :D

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-08-2004, 9:18 PM
John, that is AWESOME! I can only imagine how hard it was for Casey to get her hair cut MUCH shorter................that can be traumatic for a 13 year old young lady..................EEK.............WHAT WILL ME FRIENDS SAY? :eek:

She did a wonderful thing for a child that is not as fortunate as her. I admire young people that do things like that..........."from the heart". Tell her I am proud of her for helping someone in need. You and the LOYL should be VERY proud John.............you have a FANTASTIC daughter! :)

My daughter, who is 18 said that was "Da Bomb"! (I think that is a GOOD thing too!) :D

nic obie
09-08-2004, 10:04 PM
You're a good man John, to have raised a daughter like that.

Keith Outten
09-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Bravo Casey

Mark Singer
09-08-2004, 10:19 PM
John,
That is great! It is great for young people to help those around them and realize how fortunate they are! I am sure is is a wonderful person like her dad... She is lucky that you are her dad , giving her guidance and support. Graet families and kids are not a matter of luck...it comes with work and love....we are fortunate!

Bruce Page
09-08-2004, 11:01 PM
Neat post John. You have raised a beautiful & caring young lady!

John Miliunas
09-09-2004, 8:16 AM
Greatly appreciate all the wonderful comments, folks! "Raising her the right way," has NOT been a chore! She's bright, intelligent, has a sense of responsibility AND common sense, to boot! :D Yeah, Mom and I feel pretty lucky! :) Thanks again for the opportunity to share our good fortune! :cool:

Greg Tatum
09-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Bless you Casey for such a selfless act. I was a pediatric nurse for 14 years and specialized in home care of medically fragile kids and I know first-hand that your gift will bring joy, confidence and restore a positve self image to not only a child but that child's family as well.

You show great character at a early age. Keep your parents proud :)

Greg Tatum

Jack Diemer
09-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Great job, we did the same thing with my daughter when she had just turned four. We send 10 or 11 inches of hair (not near as much as you did) to locks of love. I think it was her 1st hair cut. Anyway, she has grown much of it back out since. It actually was longer before than it is in this picture.

Rich Konopka
09-09-2004, 11:45 AM
John:

This program is very popular in our town and the local paper routinely is publishing pictures of the girl who donates her hair. They usually are shown holding a pony tail of the hair they cut off. I think your daughter should be commended for being thoughtful and compassionate. And you as a parent should be commended for bringing up such a fine young lady.

Best Regards

Michael Stafford
09-09-2004, 3:45 PM
Good job! That's how you earn those coupons that all of us need as we work our way through life.

Tom Sweeney
09-09-2004, 4:07 PM
Congratulations to you, LOYL & Casey. It's great when kids go out of their way to help others. You've obviously got a fine young lady there.

Joe Mioux
09-09-2004, 9:19 PM
hey john

kudos to your daughter, My 8yr old is going to do the samething.

Best regards

joe

Charles McKinley
09-09-2004, 11:30 PM
All you long hairs out there can do it too! :)

I have donated when I get my hair cut. If you have gray they pick it out and sell it at market rate to help with the funding. They also accept colored hair.

All the details are on their web site.

If you are folically challanged you can donate money.

I will probably donate again after LOML's hormone leves return to normal from having the baby. I think she is more attached to my hair than I am.

It is great, but not suprising, that so many others here have contributed to this worthy cause.

Michael Barry
09-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Great job Casey! My wife did the same thing a couple of years ago. Made her feel really good.

Joe Tonich
09-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Way to GO, Casey!! :D :D :D

John & LOYL, ya done GOOD!:cool: :D

Joe - hoping MY boys end up like that!

Jerry Olexa
09-14-2004, 3:35 PM
John You and your wife have raised her well or she would not have done that. Good job by EACH of you!! You should be proud!!

larry merlau
09-15-2004, 2:40 PM
Greatly appreciate all the wonderful comments, folks! "Raising her the right way," has NOT been a chore! She's bright, intelligent, has a sense of responsibility AND common sense, to boot! :D Yeah, Mom and I feel pretty lucky! :) Thanks again for the opportunity to share our good fortune! :cool:
well john you got a good youngun i have one that does it too and she is 26 now. but she looks like her mom and thats a good thing.