PDA

View Full Version : Square Natural Edge Bowl -Air Tool Oil Finish?

Dave Schell
08-16-2009, 9:42 PM
125528I just finished this square edge bowl leaving the sides as natural. It's the first one I've ever attempted and was a good challenge and great fun. Can't wait to try another incorporating some of the lessons learned with this one though.

The wood was a bit punky in spots, so I first drenched those with lacquer. Then sanded the whole bowl up through the grits to 400 and sprayed another light coat of lacquer. I usually then final sand pieces with 2000 grit using furniture oil as a lubricant to remove the nubs from the lacquer spray. However, I was out of furniture oil and looking around my shop I saw a bottle of Air Tool Oil. Put a few drops on the piece and went to work with the 2000 grit and then ended the process with a hand buffing. See below for the final outcome. The finish is a low sheen so there is not much contrast with the punky spots. Not sure of the long term effects of using the air tool oil, but for now it looks ok (and no smell).

alex carey
08-16-2009, 9:44 PM
looks quite good, scary turning something like that though.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Dave....Nicely done! Those winged bowls are scarey.

alex carey
08-16-2009, 10:37 PM
whats the wood?

Bernie Weishapl
08-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Great looking piece. Scary for sure.

Tony Greenway
08-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Nice job, good looking finish!

Steve Schlumpf
08-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Dave - sure is some pretty wood! Great job on the form and the consistent thin edge!

Never heard of using tool oil before - just have to wonder if it will go gummy on you fairly soon. Most oils used for wood have some form of a drying agent - or else the oil never dries and continues to rise to the surface of the wood. Don't know if that will be the case here or not... wish you luck with it!

Very nice turning! Thanks for sharing!

Christopher Fletcher
08-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Great bowl, Dave. I love that natural edge. That is quite a feat on such a large bowl. What type of wood are we looking at here? Tons of spalt.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-17-2009, 2:43 AM
Very nice piece Dave, looks a lot like spalted Sugar Maple, but hard to tell from here, so what size is the piece Dave ??

Dave Schell
08-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for all the kind words on this piece. The piece is Maple from a heavily burled tree cut about two years ago, and has been sitting around spalting since them. I have enough to make about 30 bowls from that same tree. Problem is getting them roughed out before they go bad.

The piece started at about 16" by 16" but I think I had to cut it down a bit to fit the 24" inboard swing of my Vicmarc. There is one corner of it that sticks out a bit. It is this piece that made me decide I needed an outboard tool rest for my Vicmarc. I have that all made now, so hope to make another attempt on another full-size one real soon.

I'm surprised no one commented on the lime green backdrop with sequins. I found it in our closet - it is my girlfriend's skirt! :D It gives a nice contrast to the wood (IMHO).

Chris Rae
08-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Great looking bowl! Beautiful wood.

Richard Madison
08-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Excellent work Dave. But since you mention it, the quality of your work would actually be more effectively displayed on a plain white background.

Dave Schell
08-17-2009, 3:24 PM
Richard, I agree that I need a better backdrop for the photos.

I would like to find one like this: http://www.aawforum.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6953

Anyone know an online source for something like that?

Thanks.

Richard Madison
08-17-2009, 3:49 PM
That's easy. Hey Steve or Neil, where did you get your graduated photo background?

Edit: bhphotovideo.com has a somewhat limited selection of graduated backgrounds. A bit spendy for me at ~$39.

Dolan Brown
08-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Dave, that is impressive work. Really nice figure on the wood. I turn a square edge bowl a few weeks ago (my first also). You sure have to be aware of the placement of your hands at all times.:eek:

Steve Schlumpf
08-18-2009, 12:19 AM
http://www.phototechinc.com/graduate.htm
My backdrop is #39, medium sized to fit my photo tent.

alex carey
08-18-2009, 1:35 AM
When your turning is that pretty and impressive to look out the backdrop doesn't matter as much of course a white backdrop will only bring it out more.

Jerry Rhoads
08-18-2009, 6:48 AM
Very nice piece Dave
Thanks for showing
Jerry

Jarrod McGehee
08-25-2009, 2:33 AM
that looks good. nice figure and spalting on it. You should send some of that stuff out here for me to help get it off your hands before it goes bad.