PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic PJ882 8" Jointer

Bob Vavricka
08-16-2009, 9:13 PM
In the last two days two of these have been listed on a local Craigs List for around $1200. First, if you own this jointer, how would you rate it? Second, how is the price?
Both look to be well taken care of in the pictures posted, but I haven't seen them in person yet.
Bob V.

Dan Friedrichs
08-16-2009, 9:21 PM
Price seems high. All these parallelogram designs are basically identical - this one looks just like a DJ-20 (although I'm sure there are differences).

For $900 (with free shipping), Grizzly sells a model that looks very similar. For $1200, you can get that same new machine with a spiral cutterhead.

I think they're worth more like $500-900, depending on your market, condition, etc.

Craig Coney
08-16-2009, 9:58 PM
I picked one PJ882 up new in March and have been very pleased with it. I would rate it highly, even with the straight knives. It is a different machine than the DJ-20's and copies of it. It has alot of mass, long beds, and seems engineered to a higher degree. Mine has worked flawlessy and has excellent fit and finish. $1200 is a good price for the machine, about 1/2 price of new. If it comes with a mobile base at that price, even better yet.

Lewis Cobb
08-17-2009, 7:40 AM
I've had one for about a year now. Worked flawless right out of the crate (the PM2000 I bought at the same time was another story but the PM customer service is outstanding so there's no permanent problems).

The DJ20 and the 882 are competely different as another poster has indicated - the 882 is much heavier, bigger, and well....more of a "beast". I had a buddy's DJ20 "stored" in my shop at the same time I got the 882 and so they were side by side for a while - the size and mass difference was very obvious.

Good luck with your decision.