PDA

View Full Version : Install mid-table support?

julian abram
08-16-2009, 8:53 PM
Hey fellows, I've lurked on your forums for a few months to glean your "gems" of wooding working knowledge. I did a little woodworking back in my younger days but kinda got away from it. Now I'm getting into the geezer age (56) I'm in the process of setting up a little shop and return to some woodworking projects (strictly hobby).
Here's my present project. I'm building a large farm table (40"x96") for our dining room. The top is red oak and I plan to attach cherry bread boards on the ends. The red oak is planed to 7/8". I glued up the top this weekend and was pleased with how it turned out. I removed the clamps and turned it over to begin planeing and sanding on the underneath side. When I turned it over I notice there was some deflection in the center when the panel was lifted from the edges or ends. That concerns me a little, if it will be rigid enough when attached to the apron/leg assembly.
It may not be a real problem and this ideal may be overkill, but I was thinking about constructing a center cross support underneath attached to the long side aprons. It would be attached with screws in slotted holes to allow for movement. I've never seen this type of support discussed in forums but it seems logical. What so you guys think? Is this a good ideal or crazy overkill ideal?

David DeCristoforo
08-16-2009, 9:12 PM
If you have full aprons on all four sides and the aprons are 3-4" deep, the table will be plenty solid. A "cross brace" at mid point will not hurt but the "deflection" you get when you lift one corner will always be there. Adding aprons, with or without a cross brace, will not add any "racking resistance". Only a torsion box type of construction would do that.