PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Bowls

Mike Newell
08-16-2009, 7:15 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm using Behlen Woodturners Finish and I get a dull finish in the center portion of my bowls. What am I doing wrong?

As always, any ideas very welcome,

Mike

Barry Elder
08-16-2009, 7:18 PM
Need more information.

Steve Schlumpf
08-16-2009, 7:19 PM
Mike - I am not familiar with Behlen Woodturners Finish - any chance you can post a few photos of the problem area of your bowls? I am sure we can come up with something!

Also, the wood you turn as well as the grain orientation all make a difference when applying finish. Hope to see some photos........

Mike Newell
08-16-2009, 7:37 PM
Tried a photo, but you can't really see the problem. The center 1/2 of the bowl is more glossy than the outer 1/2. It just does not have the shine.

Here is the product

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003238/1664/Behlen-Woodturner-s-Finish.aspx

You apply the finish, let dry a hour and then with the lathe on, use the dried rag with the dried finish to put a shine on the bowl. (Guess I should have mentioned this, I feel brain dead today)

Mike

Ryan Baker
08-16-2009, 9:15 PM
That is a friction polish, if I remember right (agrees with your description). You probably aren't building up enough heat near the center, since the linear speed is lower than at the rim. Try spinning it faster and/or pressing harder with the rag.