PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Table Dilemma...

John Grabowski
08-16-2009, 6:36 PM
I am about to embark on an extension kitchen table from Cherry. I am curious on how you would mount the legs to the table top...I have been looking at tables at local stores b/c I haven't found any real good plans online.

My plan so far is to attach the aprons to the top using screws and then attach the legs to the aprons using corner braces like the one pictured HERE.
(http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001069/10357/Corner-Brace--Table-Leg---%281%29.aspx)
Is that enough? or do I need to find a way to attach the table leg directly to the tabletop?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

John G

Maurice Ungaro
08-16-2009, 6:42 PM
Your tried and true method is to mortise the aprons into the legs for a sturdy base. The top is then attached to the apron. A couple of ways to do the extension mechanism, either metal or wood.

Frank Drew
08-16-2009, 6:57 PM
John

If the top is solid, it will have to be attached in a way that allows it to expand and shrink with the seasons and ambient humidity. So screw holes have to be slotted, or fasteners need to be able to move with the wood's movement.

Corner bracing a table is a good idea, with either shop-made braces or the ones from Woodcraft you link to, but I'd still mortise and tenon the aprons to the legs as Maurice recommends.

I've used Watertown slides in the past, but I see they've discontinued the wooden ones. No reason not to use metal, I guess, if you can't find wood.

Good luck with your project.

John Grabowski
08-16-2009, 7:30 PM
Thanks for the info...I was planning to M/T the joints also, I left that out.

Any other tips that may help me out?? I am using a lot of cherry and don't want to screw this up (pardon the pun)

Thanks,

John G