PDA

View Full Version : I will pay closer attention when working at the table saw.....

Mitchell Andrus
08-16-2009, 5:08 PM
I will pay closer attention when working at the table saw.....

Just a bruised ego.

The result of poor timing while back-dragging the wood & miter.

Scott Hildenbrand
08-16-2009, 5:10 PM
Better an ego than a thumb.. Do tell though, what were you doing and how did the above happen?

Heather Thompson
08-16-2009, 5:15 PM
Looks like the miter gauge may have let go and Mitchell found himself playing batter up. Glad you were not hurt.

Heather

Michael Flores
08-16-2009, 5:26 PM
The last time i saw that kind of a cut was when a coworker was trying to cut a small section off a long strip without using a miter gauge. He was riding along the fence trying to keep it aligned by hand.

Mitchell Andrus
08-16-2009, 5:49 PM
Better an ego than a thumb.. Do tell though, what were you doing and how did the above happen?

Had just cut a tenon cheek and back-dragged before the piece was clear of the blade. One of about 40.

Proper technique, poor timing.

Jacob Reverb
08-16-2009, 7:33 PM
I bet it made ya duck! :p

Glad you're OK. Be careful out there...

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-16-2009, 10:45 PM
If you haven't done that at least once or more you aren't in the shop.

With my old Contractor saw I got in the habit of doing small work while leaving the aft end of the saw cluttered.

The first day I got my slider going I learned not to do that.

jim hedgpeth
08-16-2009, 11:04 PM
That looks kinda familiar.

So far my worst was a 1/2" dado, just had one to do. Thought the O.E.M. dado insert would be OK, wrong! Piece was narrower than the opening, got sucked down and blew up, ( and back ):eek: hit me in the upper arm. Knocked the push stick out of my hand, and all the way across the shop. It took almost two weeks for the bruise to heal. Better than what could have happened, but scary. Definite attention getter.

I'm sure it made you'r heart skip but at least it warned you to pay attention without causing a trip to the E.R.

Careful out there,

Jim

Brian Ashton
08-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Worst one for me as when I was working over a 12" saw on a cold day. You know how your hands are very dry and slippery on cold days... I had just ripped a piece of 1/2" baltic birch and was just pulling the piece back to cut it again. This piece was about 3' x 2'. I didn't have a great grip on it so with cold hands it slipped from my fingers and dropped onto the blade. I was smart enough not to try and grab it as it fell but when it hit the blade it took off and hit me just above and beside the goolies. Right in that spot where the stomach muscles join the thigh muscles. And if that weren't enough it was the corner that was driven into me. I went down like a sack of shyte. FAROUT! did that hurt. Took me a couple minutes pick myself up and turning the saw off. Later that night I was telling my wife and I showed her the bruise. I guess the pain was so intense at the time and spread out that I didn't realize that there was two badly bruised areas. It had hit me on the first go and then must have bounced back into the blade again and then hit me again - all without me knowing it was so quick. A few calculations and I figure it came off the saw at about 120mph.

Another one I had was ripping narrow 8' strips on a saw. This was in a production setting so I was moving fairly quickly when one got caught between the blade and fence. My only concern was to step aside and use my foot to turn the saw off before I retrieved it. Never got to that though. I heard a bang as I was looking down at the switch just about to press it with my foot. I looked up and the piece was gone - I didn't even get a glimpse of it being ejected from the saw. This saw was oriented to that the operator had his back to the roller door. So I went looking for the projectile but couldn't find it anywhere out side. Couple hours later one of the guys came in and said are you looking for this. It was the piece I shot out the door of the shop. His truck was about 30' from the shop and this spear had gone through the license plate so that only about 6" of it was still protruding out the back while the rest was wedged up in his exhaust system. After that I always wanted to set one of the saws on an angle and see how far we could fire projectiles across the parking lot but for some reason the bosses thought it best not to :rolleyes:

Keith Christopher
08-17-2009, 12:36 AM
I had this happen when I was cutting a short taper on my TS. I had stops holding it down but the back of the blade bit it and sent it flying across the room. I was able to put it on the project asn the side with the pretty fan on it was covered. sucks.

Brian, catch an episode of the red-green show they did it on there. Standing at the back of the saw they were dropping boards onto the blade.

Steve Rozmiarek
08-17-2009, 12:46 AM
With my old Contractor saw I got in the habit of doing small work while leaving the aft end of the saw cluttered.

The first day I got my slider going I learned not to do that.

Ditto that!

Bill White
08-17-2009, 11:03 AM
OK. I'm screamin'. THAT WAS TOO CLOSE.......
Bill

Mitchell Andrus
08-17-2009, 12:00 PM
OK. I'm screamin'. THAT WAS TOO CLOSE.......
Bill

Actually, not close. No permanently connected parts of the body were anywhere close to the blade. Even the wood that got clobbered didn't move that much as it's movement was damped by the miter - didn't get launched. I even used this piece of wood in the finished product as all but the last 1/4" of the tenon is buried.

Proper technique, poor timing. Just slid the miter back before the wood was slid to the side of the blade.