PDA

View Full Version : Sigh...

Brian Penning
08-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Heavy sigh....

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_eDYZqM9-MJw/SogsymPJiCI/AAAAAAAAKPU/3Bp0VQPAoGw/s640/IMG_3844.JPG

Jamie Buxton
08-16-2009, 12:06 PM
This is where we say something positive, like "Real good joinery!"

Scott Hildenbrand
08-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Nothing wrong with that... It's abstract! People pay big money for that! :D

Mitchell Andrus
08-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Well..... 3 out of 4 ain't THAT bad.

Brad Townsend
08-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Well..... 3 out of 4 ain't THAT bad.
I agree. Go with it! Finish it as though that was the plan. It will be a conversation piece for generations to come.;)

george wilson
08-16-2009, 1:12 PM
You are SO BUSTED!!!!! It could be an art piece. Just don't tell them it isn't.:)

I have made bad mistakes like that,too. When I can remember what it was,I may post it. Just can't recall,but its happened.

Bruce Page
08-16-2009, 1:29 PM
I've had moments like that.

Mike Cruz
08-16-2009, 1:43 PM
You could always put a little figurine of an animal (mouse, rabbit, whatever) on the floor next to that leg and say you HAD to build it that way to stay out of the way of the figurine... "Built that way on purpose!"

David DeCristoforo
08-16-2009, 1:52 PM
I'm with the "go for it" crowd. This is how most "art" is produced. Your table is now worth many times more than it would have been had you made that leg match the others. You can increase it's value further by titling the piece "Sigh..."

george wilson
08-16-2009, 1:59 PM
I was resawing a slab of very curly maple which I drove all the way up to Arlington to buy(among other planks). This one was my favorite. I was sawing wedges out of it to make arch back guitars. I somehow screwed up,and sawed one of the 2 required book matched wedges upside down,so they don't match. Really screwed up that plank of very nice wood!!! With the long drive,I had more time in that foul up than you do on the leg. HOWEVER,The resaw foul up did not take as long to accomplish as your careful looking,fitting,and looking at that backwards leg!!:)

Steve Rozmiarek
08-16-2009, 2:41 PM
My wife says it looks good that way! Kind of makes me second guess all the reviews she gives my work now....

Caspar Hauser
08-16-2009, 3:13 PM
Excellent design Choice.

It has movement and direction, it's walking.

I am very interested in how this element of your design will evolve.

CH
:)

Jazz joinery!

Dave Sharpe
08-16-2009, 3:39 PM
Thanks for the great laugh! You're a man of few words = but very effective ones. and rest assured that we are laughing WITH you - all the way!

Dave

Mark Patoka
08-16-2009, 3:48 PM
I'm with the others also...leave as is. You've got an art conversation piece there. In a regular setting, some people won't even notice it.

Brent Smith
08-16-2009, 3:58 PM
Well, at least it's good to know you haven't run out of Guinness!!

Bill Huber
08-16-2009, 4:07 PM
So whats wrong with it, it looks like a lot of thing I build......

Maurice Ungaro
08-16-2009, 4:19 PM
Title it "The Non-Conformist".

Keith Christopher
08-16-2009, 4:32 PM
If it's not glued up then take it apart, 'plug' the mortises, and cut two new. Of cut the leg off, then dowel it back the correct way. Or claim it is art. I don't consider it artful like it is but that's just me. other than the wrong way leg, it is pretty awesome looking.

James Baker SD
08-16-2009, 5:25 PM
I think it looks neat, wish I could design like that on purpose. I voted to leave it.

James

Michael Flores
08-16-2009, 5:32 PM
Brian, Nice table. Could you take a picture with more light so we could see the joinery. The picture was a little dark. I wouldnt worry about the leg, i was actually one of those guys that had a dog with three legs and let me tell you, he brought more attention from the girls than any other dog i owned with four good legs.

Mike Lipke
08-16-2009, 5:40 PM
"3 out of 4"?
How do we know it isn't 1 out of 4, Hmmm?

Paul Ryan
08-16-2009, 5:47 PM
As fare as I know your plans called for 1 goofy looking leg. Leave it the way it is it was suposed to be that way.

Phillip Bogle
08-16-2009, 6:03 PM
The rule of art is that nothing is depicted in even numbers always odd. You have an art piece that observes the rule. 1-3-7-9 all odd numbers of groupings. One tree or three rocks, seven fence posts, or nine sheep. Never paint or photograph even numbers. This is an art piece of two groupings 1 and 3. They are not legs, but a statement of supports, and how everything in the world is supported by the odd numbered objects. So when some Bozo tells you that you made a mistake you can take a serious look and haughtily tell them that "it is NOT a mistake" You are observing the artistic rule of odd number groupings. Then ask them "you haven't heard of that rule?" with a shock expression, and a raised eyebrow.

That is not a joke. You learn that rule in basic art or design class. Even numbers are monotonous.

I like it just the way it is, then again I am an art major, photographer and graphic designer of 25 years experience.

Heather Thompson
08-16-2009, 6:11 PM
I just got back from three days of Woodworking In America, "Furniture Construction & Design", definitely leave it as is. In 100/200 years the experts will look at this piece and praise the genius of design done by the great artist Brian Penning, it will bring 4.2 million at auction to be prized in an exclusive collection.

Heather

Don Bullock
08-16-2009, 7:05 PM
Oh, the joy of woodworking.:eek: I'm sure it doesn't help much, but I feel your pain.

Jim Rimmer
08-16-2009, 8:03 PM
I'm with the majority. Leave it. It will get more looks this way.

Peter Quinn
08-16-2009, 8:51 PM
Its a master piece. Finish those legs, finish that table, and place a few books on Dali and Escher on its top, almost daring anyone to question your artistic integrity. Almost ANYBODY can cut four symmetrical legs for a table:cool:. You have the genius to represent wood in its true form. Have you seen many symmetrical trees that weren't encouraged by man?

Brian Penning
08-16-2009, 8:59 PM
OK, I'll leave it in and post pics of the completed stool. It will likely be for sale at the Fall fairs I do so it'll be interesting.
Thanks a bunch, you all helped me get over a bad morning.

Leigh Betsch
08-16-2009, 9:29 PM
So which leg would you remake?? leave it

John Schreiber
08-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Looks great to me. Why would you want to build a table like every other?

Mike Sheppard
08-17-2009, 7:34 AM
Brian
Make another one like it going the other way, then think up a dopey name and put them on ebay.
Mike

Lewis Cobb
08-17-2009, 7:43 AM
Excellent design Choice.

It has movement and direction, it's walking.

I am very interested in how this element of your design will evolve.

CH
:)

Jazz joinery!

I'm in full agreement with this statement. The first thought I had was "it looks like some lumbering african elephant plodding along the Serenghetti (spell?) plains. It's actually more interesting than the "inferior symmetrical leg version" you almost accidently created ....

mike holden
08-17-2009, 8:00 AM
Brian,
Remember, "Someone who has never made a mistake, has never made anything"

The key is not in making the mistake, but in fixing it.

Of course, you could follow the advice of a long ago shop teacher: "if you make a mistake, put two grooves in it, and call it an ashtray" (grin)

Mike

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-17-2009, 9:02 AM
Call it the
"WALKING TABLE"
And claim it was artistic inspiration.

Greg Cole
08-17-2009, 10:18 AM
I say build a mouse door in the baseboard where you install it. ;)
So long as the table goes against a wall somewhere....

Bill White
08-17-2009, 10:44 AM
I've looked at the pic 26 times and can't find what's wrong. (Then again dyslexia runs in the family.)
Bill

Jerome Hanby
08-17-2009, 11:43 AM
You didn't make a mistake, you've created a trademark. Do everything applicable that way from now on!

Danny Hamsley
08-17-2009, 12:09 PM
When I first saw it, I thought that the table was fixin' to start running!

Forrest Gump would say, "Art is what Art does" :rolleyes:.

Go with it!!

Brad Townsend
08-17-2009, 12:10 PM
I've looked at the pic 26 times and can't find what's wrong. (Then again dyslexia runs in the family.)
Bill
:D:D:D Great line!

Lee Schierer
08-17-2009, 1:16 PM
I think I would leave it like it is and create a mirror image piece to go with it. Or build another table and have the legs on that one go the oposite of the way the ones on this one were supposed to curve.

Chaz Alexopoulos
08-17-2009, 1:19 PM
I think I would leave it like it is and create a mirror image piece to go with it. Or build another table and have the legs on that one go the oposite of the way the ones on this one were supposed to curve.

+1...that's what I would do. One for each end of the sofa.

Larry Browning
08-17-2009, 1:47 PM
Maybe you should come up with some deep symbolic reason for the leg to be backwards. Like "This leg represents the struggles of the common man trying to convince those around him that he is right and everyone else is wrong."

Ted Shrader
08-17-2009, 1:59 PM
Brian -

Leave it alone. It was designed like that.

If there is space in room, make another in mirror image (have to pay attention on that one :) ).

Ted

Don Morris
08-17-2009, 2:38 PM
I've done that, just didn't post it. What a great conversation piece!

Nathan Yeager
08-23-2009, 5:09 PM
Maybe you should come up with some deep symbolic reason for the leg to be backwards. Like "This leg represents the struggles of the common man trying to convince those around him that he is right and everyone else is wrong."

Exactly my thought. I can imagine my friends over quaffing a sangiovese while admiring it and debating whether it demonstrates the struggle of the lone man, the beauty of non-conformists, or a plea for solidarity. They would never sit on it though...

Don Dorn
08-23-2009, 5:41 PM
At first look, I thought, that poor guy. Now, I'm with the majority and definately go along with the poster that said to place it against a wall and put a mouse hole there. The fact that you came by that "mistake" honestly is what makes it so appealing to your family. It will be a family piece that is handed down just as the story will be - finish it up and leave it alone. It has "life" as Marc Adams would say.

lowell holmes
08-23-2009, 6:11 PM
Who was the woodworker that made really good pieces, drive a nail in it and display it. He was famous for it. I agree, it was on purpose and I would put it in a gallery for the Galveston Art Walk.

phil harold
08-23-2009, 7:33 PM
great mistake

some of my best work is mistakes

Brian Penning
08-23-2009, 8:30 PM
In case you missed the follow-up, here's the result...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=118777