PDA

View Full Version : Source for Quality BS Guide Bearings?

glenn bradley
08-16-2009, 10:54 AM
I had a sluggish lower bearing guide that turned out to only need to be cleaned off. This got me thinking that having spares on hand would prevent some future frustration. Current bearings are Taiwan made 6202Z (Grizzly G0513X). I notice they come in packs of 10 for $12 - $15 but some are more. Having no experience and not wanting to buy out of ignorance and pay for it later, I come to the Creek . . .

Single shield?
Double shield?
Preferred manufacturer?
Anything else someone who doesn't know diddly, should know?

TIA,

Glenn

Cary Falk
08-16-2009, 11:17 AM
I would call these guys. OWWM swear by them. They should be able to tell you what you need.
http://www.accuratebearing.com/

Curt Harms
08-16-2009, 8:09 PM
I chose to change the outside diameter on the lower thrust bearing on a Rikon 10-325. Took it to a local bearings & drives store, left with what I wanted, same bore & smaller O.D. Similar experience with the lower bearing on a Freud FT2000E. "Here's the size you need, this one's shielded, do you want shielded or sealed?" Bearings, belts & bushings for days:).

Bruce Wrenn
08-16-2009, 9:49 PM
You want to go with SEALED bearings, not shielded. As for a pack of ten, how long would it be before you used them? Grease inside does dry out over time. I usually order two sets at the time, one to install, and a spare set for later. This way they aren't too old when I use them. I have ordered from The Big Bearing Store, ENCO, and Reid industries. When I'm in a rush, I use local bearing store, but convience has a price.

Rod Sheridan
08-16-2009, 10:50 PM
As previously indicated, you want sealed bearings.

Go to a bearing supplier, you will find the $1.50 kind, then the $5 kind etc.

Bearings come in many qualities, I usually stick with the mid grade ones for my bandsaw.

Last year I had to replace all the guide bearings on my saw because they didn't like being urinated on by a Doberman we were baby sitting.

I spent about $30 on six bearings.

Check for SKF or NGK, made in Europe or Japan.........Rod.

Russ Massery
08-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Glenn, Funny I noticed the bottom bearings on mine are bad also. Just yesterday, when I was changing blades. I would go with sealed bearings the stock ones are just shielded. Think that why the went bad. Dust got inside them.

Russ

glenn bradley
08-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Thanks all. Good info and a quick education on bearings. I was looking at double shielded but it appears sealed are available with the proper specs for speed, duration and all that. I am definitely from the school of "why get a 'good deal' on bearings you have to swap every 6 months when you can buy quality for not that much more and have them last?". Sealed it is.

glenn bradley
08-16-2009, 11:47 PM
As for a pack of ten, how long would it be before you used them?

There are 5 bearings per guide so . . . pretty quick if I swap them all ;):D.