PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

Harvey Ghesser
08-16-2009, 10:26 AM
I bought a drill chuck for my tailstock with a #2MT so I could drill the tool handle I'm making. I chuck a drill bit in, tighten and turn the handle on the tail stock. Problem is that the bit in the tailstock rotates as well as the handle which is chucked into the headstock. I thought the tailstock end doesn't rotate. What am I doing wrong?:confused:

Thanks for any feedback!

Harv

Ted Calver
08-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Perhaps you are feeding too fast, or you don't have the morse taper fully seated in the tail stock

Chris Rae
08-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Like Ted said, the MT must be fully seated. Try tapping it in very gently with a rubber mallet, and make sure there isn't any grease in your MT hole.

Steve Schlumpf
08-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Harvey - depending on the lathe you use - you have to make sure that the tailstock quill is extended an inch or so before inserting the drill chuck or the chuck will bottom out before being fully seated.

Let us know what corrective action you took!

Bernie Weishapl
08-16-2009, 10:57 AM
I agree with Steve to make sure your tailstock is extended about a inch or so. I have been to a couple of demo's by the pro's who say grip your jacobs chuck holding it with your left hand to help keep it from turning by the force of drilling especially with forsnter bits. Don't let your MT turn in the tailstock because it can gall it.

Harvey Ghesser
08-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks to all. I'm at work now so I'll give it another shot this evening. BTW, the kind I bought is in two parts...the MT and the drill chuck. So I think the drill chuck spins on the MT.

Roger Wilson
08-16-2009, 11:04 AM
I've occasionally had this problem on my midi. The quill on the tailstock needs to be extended a little before the jacobs chuck mandrel is inserted, as retracting it all the way will loosen up the mandrel for removal. I then push it in, and rotate a little to make sure it is seated well.

Steve Schlumpf
08-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Harvey - if that's the case, just make sure it is clean, re-seat and the metal to metal contact should work without slipping.

Let us know what you find out.

Nathan Hawkes
08-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks to all. I'm at work now so I'll give it another shot this evening. BTW, the kind I bought is in two parts...the MT and the drill chuck. So I think the drill chuck spins on the MT.

Often these parts are shipped with a coating of grease to keep them from rusting during shipment. Make sure that there isn't anything between the drill and the taper. Does the chuck thread onto the taper quill, or on another taper?
On my PM3520, I have to have the chuck extended to almost 1" out before the taper will seat properly. There's a threaded end for making sure that the chuck doesn't pop out of the taper, if you wanted extra security--it would thread all the way through either the headstock spindle or tailstock.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Ditto Steve and Bernie's recommendations.....

Clean the MT with a solvent and make sure your quill is extended an inch or so. My Jet Mini and my PM require the quill to be out an inch or so to get the MT to seat properly.

Richard Madison
08-16-2009, 1:20 PM
Harvey,
Also possible that the taper in your Jacobs chuck is not the same as the taper on the arbor you bought, so they do not fit together correctly. When I bought an arbor to fit an old chuck I had on hand, it took some research on various tapers, measurements, and head scratching to be sure I was ordering the right arbor. Sometime the taper is marked on the drill chuck (JT3 for example).

Leo Van Der Loo
08-16-2009, 2:07 PM

Harvey if you do have the right JT for the chuck, a good and simple way to have it hold is by taking your MT and placing it in the freezer for a couple of hours, make sure both mating surfaces are clean when you insert the JT into the Chuck, give it a (one) good smack so it is seated well, done this way it should never slip again HTH.

Harvey Ghesser
08-16-2009, 2:53 PM
You guys (and gal) rock!!

Thank you all so much! I can't wait to get home to try to drill my maple tool handle for my new gouge!

I'll let you know if I succeeded.

Warmest regards to all,

Harv

Harvey M. Taylor
08-16-2009, 6:17 PM
Probably a stupid question, but here goes. Does your quill have a groove from front to back? If so, the tightening lever is turned out too far. It needs to be engaged and tightened to the quill to prevent it from turning.Hope this helps, Max.

Harvey Ghesser
08-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Success!!

Here's what I did...I first cleaned the drill chuck and the MT with solvent. Yep...they were kinda oily. Then I reexamined the two parts to see if there were any channels I was missing. None appeared. I put the two pieces together and as Leo said "give it a (one) good smack so it is seated well". Two firm smacks later, it was well seated!

Next, I chucked the 11/16 bit in the drill and with my left hand, I gently held the drill chuck (which didn't budge) as I advanced the quill into the maple. Worked like a charm!

I've enclosed some pictures. The maple handle as yet is unfinished. This maple handle (my first ever) will house my new Thompson 5/8 V gouge.

Thank you all once again!

Harv