PDA

View Full Version : Pendant with accessory picture.

Jon Lanier
08-16-2009, 12:48 AM
I got a new chuck/backer plate to make pendants. Here is is my first attempt using some corian. Learned a bit from it, I'll make more tomorrow.

Steve Schlumpf
08-16-2009, 12:52 AM
Looks like the new chuck is going to work out quite well for you Jon! Looking forward to seeing some more of your pendants! Nice design!

Keith Spaniel
08-16-2009, 1:01 AM
hi jon,
did you make that chuck? how does it work ?

Jon Lanier
08-16-2009, 1:30 AM
Keith, No I didn't make it, I got it from a guy on IAP website. He's been making them on his own.

I'll have to see if I can't put together some sort of 'how to.' I'll need to practice a bit before I do that.

Bernie Weishapl
08-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Jon that look pretty cool. I will have to go see if I can find one of those chucks. Looks a lot easier than with a block of wood on a faceplate and double sided tape.

bernard feinerman
08-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Very nice turning. Where is the IAP website?
How big a chunk of wood can you turn?

Rob Mathis
08-16-2009, 7:41 PM
I would google penturners

alex carey
08-16-2009, 7:55 PM
cool pendant and nice chuck.

Jim Underwood
08-17-2009, 8:45 AM
Ok... I'm looking at the chuck but it doesn't make much sense... I must have my stupid hat on this morning...

How's that thing work?

Chris Stolicky
08-17-2009, 9:44 AM
Its funny how a dedicated pen making site has expanded into pendants. I guess the word "pendant" has the word "pen" in it, huh?

I received mine over the weekend and took it for a spin yesterday. You have to screw the chuck onto a 3/8" bolt or mandrel - a bottle stopper mandrel works. You use what ever you have to mount it. Collet chuck, jacobs chuck, build your own, etc...

I actually took a block of oak I had, drilled a 3/8" hole all the way threw it, then drilled a 1-1/8" hole part way through, then tapped it with my beall spindle tap. I put the bolt through the hole and screwed the mandrel onto it.

Once the mandrel is on spindle, I taped a scrap block onto the face of the chuck. Its that piece that gets the small material you will use for the pendant, taped onto it. Confused yet? :confused:

It is going to take some time to learn how to use it with all of the off-setting capability you have.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to paste links to another forum?

John Strait
08-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Ok... I'm looking at the chuck but it doesn't make much sense... I must have my stupid hat on this morning...

How's that thing work?

Here is what I did:

The chuck requires the use of good two faced tape and a scrap block of wood. I used 1 1/4" thick by 2 1/2" square scrap.

1. Tape the scrap block to the chuck on the side with the with the 24 holes tapped on it.

2. Mount the chuck to your lathe using a 3/8-16 headless bolt in the center 3/8-16 threaded hole on the other side of the chuck. I use a nut to control the depth of the bolt into the chuck. (You can use a drill chuck to hold the 3/8 bolt, but it will need a threaded rod through the headstock to hold it in place)(you can also use a 4 jaw chuck or collet chuck to hold it)

3. Turn you scrap block round and face it off square. Initially place the tailstock up to the scrap so the two- faced tape gets a good hold while turning the scrap off-balanced.

4. Mount your blank to the scrap block with two faced tape.

5. Run your tail stock up to the blank to hold it until the tape had a good hold and your blank is balanced.

6. Round your blank to the desired diameter

7. Remove the tail stock and face off the pendant

8. Unscrew the chuck from the threaded rod and move to one of the offset holes to place the through-hole for the pendant.

9. Turn or drill the through-hole and shape. You will need to slow the lathe down since it will be off-balanced.

10. You can use any of the other mounting holes for any offset patterns you want in the pendant. Plus, you can shift the outter plate by removing the 4 screws to rotate in any of the 24 holes.

11. Carefully remove the pendant from the scrap block and finish.

Note: If the back of your blank is not smooth, mount it into a 4 jaw chuck with the back facing the tailstock. This allows you to smooth and square off the back before using the pendant chuck.

The scrap block should be good for multiple turnings and may occasionally need refaced.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3009/3829623023_f6e82427f9.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3568/3830420486_61d641aaf6.jpg