PDA

View Full Version : Corn Cob Lessons..

Tom Mullane
09-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Was putting away some stuff in the old chicken coop at my FIL's farm yesterday.. and found the motherload of dry corn cobs...
There has not been a chicken in this coop in over 35 yrs... so these cobs are at least that old... very very dry and hard... perfect pen material...
Now I have never turned a cob pen before and read that you need to stabilize them with CA... so I thought OK... I will pour some CA on them before I cut and drill them.. that should prevent tear out and wandering drill bits.... then I decided since they were hard now.. I would try to turn it round before drilling it....
Have you ever tried to turn marble on your lathe... that is what it felt like.... I managed to get the rough stuff from the outside to chip (notice I did not say CUT) off using a roughing gouge that I had to sharpen 4 times.. The core is another story all together... rock hard... I doubt I will finish playing with that cob until I get some carbide cutting tools, LOL
SO off to another cob... cut and drilled and turned fine.. got almost to the final size and CA'd it... finish cut with light touch... got a little smaller than I wanted at the nib.. but still feels good..
Final finish CA sanded in at 400 grit.. sand again to 600 grit, EEE polish, then Turner's Magic (3 coats), carnuba wax and then Renaissance Wax..

Betsy Yocum
09-08-2004, 1:45 PM
Tom the pen looks great - I would have never thought to try to make a pen from it. Great job! (BTW - the picture you choose to use as a background is pretty cool to!):)

Betsy

Steve Clardy
09-08-2004, 1:57 PM
Hey Tom. Now that's one cool pen. I really like it.;)
So--how many cobs do you have stashed for future turning projects?
Or, how many do you have to glue up for a segmented bowl? Now that would really be cool!!!!:)

Steve

Steve Evans
09-08-2004, 2:57 PM
Very neat looking pen Tom

Earl Reid
09-08-2004, 3:32 PM
Nice looking pen ,Tom. how much Ca did it take to stabilize it?
Earl :)

Tom Mullane
09-08-2004, 3:37 PM
The cob that I am not going to continue working on took about 1/2 bottle of thin CA... the finished pen took just a little CA because I was almost at the finished size... after that it was just some light cuttings and more sanding and I was done...
I WILL NEVER stabilize a full cob again with CA... of course I might try some Minwax Wood Hardener on one to see what happens..

Chris Padilla
09-08-2004, 4:03 PM
Tom,

Try some epoxy...very COOL pen!!