PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman RAS pin router attachment?

Jeffrey S. Gardner
08-15-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm trying to find a pin-router attachment for old Craftsman Radial Arm Saw that was made in the mid 1980s. It turns a standard router and radial saw into a pin router. The router holder attaches to the saw’s motor housing and a guide pin goes in the table. I've attached a photo. Anyone know where I can purchase one?
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png:confused:

Rick Lizek
08-16-2009, 6:01 PM
You could make something like that. Technically that wouldn't be a pin router. That would be a radial arm router. A pin router goes up and down over a fixed pin for pattern work. The key difference is it goes up and down by foot pedal or air cylinder accurately and quickly in the same spot.
http://grizzly.com/products/Bench-Top-Overarm-Router/G0587

Lee Schierer
08-17-2009, 8:22 AM
Have you tried Sears parts?

Or, take a look at:Pin Router attachement (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=craftsman+pin+router+attachment+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=craftsman+pin+router+attachement&_rdc=1)

Bill White
08-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Never even knew that there was such a critter.
Bill

Stephen Edwards
08-17-2009, 11:10 AM
If you don't need the up and down (plunge) feature described by Rick, you can easily make your own mount for this tool. Years ago I made one for a specific task.

I don't know which saw that you have. If you can remove everything except the "trolley/carriage that moves back and forth on the arm of the RAS, leaving you with a flat plate, you can build a simple "box" that that mounts to the underside of the trolley. My box had top, bottom, two sides. On the top of the back I left an opening for the router cord to pass through. The front was open.

You cut an opening in the bottom of the box through which the router bits protrude. Mount the router inside that box and you're set to go.

You would still have the swing of the RAS arm and the back and forth function of the trolley. This enables you locate the pin or pins where ever you wish on the table underneath. You can have several places for removable pins. Once you've decided where you want the pin on the table, simply put a straight bit the same diameter of your pin in the router. Position the router bit over the pin location, lock the trolley and arm swing and then lower the RAS arm to "drill" the hole for the pin.

This is not an elegant solution but works fine for straightforward pattern work when the plunge feature isn't necessary. It doesn't work where a plunge feature is needed. If I understand the terminology correctly and understand what you're wanting to achieve, this would be an overarm router. On the other hand, I may have it backwards!

Jeffrey S. Gardner
08-17-2009, 4:55 PM
Thanks, Lee. The eBay link you provided is exactly what I'm looking for...in fact, the attachment looks like it was made specifically for my old Craftsman RAS! Very much appreciate your tip. Jeff

Lee Schierer
08-18-2009, 4:50 PM
No sweat, glad I could help. I'm not sure how stable the router will be hanging out on that bracket, which is hanging on the motor, hanging on the radial arm. Let us see what you make with this attachment.