PDA

View Full Version : Feasible?

Shannon McMurrin
08-15-2009, 11:11 PM
I have a unique situation. I am looking into the possibility starting an engraving business next year. The catch - it needs to be run out of a remote, off grid cabin (with solar electricity). The laser seems to require minimal energy, however someone mentioned the drain of a blower and compressor.

I would love opinions, and specific info if possible on all of the hidden power suckers involved. Also, I would love to hear stories of buying experiences. I am new here, and this is my first post - however I have been digging through archives and taking notes as I am able.

Joe Pelonio
08-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Being remote you have less worries with the venting system with no nearby neighbors, but many lasers use the fan also for cooling. It's still not a big power sucker, and an airbrush compressor will work for air assist, though a real compressor is handy for blowing off dust and cleaning. The laser power draw will vary by manufacturer and wattage, and remember you also need a decent computer to run it, and you need to maintain a temperature range for the laser so heat/AC will play into the power needs. In a pinch you could run a gas generator for the HVAC and fans, and keep the cleaner solar for the computer and laser.

Michael Hunter
08-16-2009, 6:11 PM
My 60W Epilog Legend 32EX runs at about an average 700W when rastering, but peaks at around 1400W. I would guess that a 30W would peak at around 1000W, but you would need to measure one to make sure.

Adding the exhaust fan, air assist compressor and a computer means that you need to allow 1500 to 2000 Watts average power during a job and have sufficient reserve in hand for higher instantaneous peak loads. That is a LOT to expect from a solar setup.

My measurements were made using a cheap digital power meter and watching the readout, rather than averaging during a job run (my interest was the peak consumption).

John Noell
08-16-2009, 9:33 PM
My 45 watt Mini peaks at 700 watts (vectoring at speed 2, power 100, freq 5000) and uses about half that when rastering at 100% power. The new Intel Atom boards are very power efficient and I am running an Intel mini-ITX motherboard/160GB desktop drive/full-size DVDRW drive system that draws less than 60 watts at max (not including the monitor) - and this is using a Mini-Box power supply (12-25VDC input) excellent for solar systems.

Shannon McMurrin
08-17-2009, 2:39 AM
So the lack of indoor airconditioning my potentially be a problem? (southeastern Missouri)

Rodne Gold
08-17-2009, 2:55 AM
Whats more likely to be a problem is fluctuatuions in the power supply to the laser , dips etc can cause problems like banding , variable engraving and so on. You need to make sure the power to the laser itself is very stable .. I use a 1.5kw UPS to each of our lasers after I found that 1kw was inadequate - 30 watt lasers.
Surely being so remote is going to also be a handicap to the business itself?

Dave Johnson29
08-17-2009, 8:59 AM
Shannon,

I think you will find an exhaust system is almost mandatory for smoke removal when doing wood etc. Without one ytou will be forever cleaning lenses and mirrors. My 1hp, 600cfm extractor will technically draw 756 Watts. I have not measured it but would allow 1000 Watts to be on the safe side during start up.

For the laser read whatever is on the compliance plate for Watts or multiply Amps x Volts to get Watts if Watts are not given.

Rodney, Americans are well accustomed to mail order. Sears and J.C Penney saw to that about 100 years back. :):)

Mike Null
08-17-2009, 9:11 AM
Dave

Don't forget Montgomery Ward. (in my former life I called on them in Chicago when the Brennan brothers were running both companies.)

Dave Johnson29
08-17-2009, 9:16 AM
Don't forget Montgomery Ward.

Ya got me Mike, since 1872 according to their website. :)

http://www.wards.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=About_Us

Rodne Gold
08-17-2009, 11:01 AM
I dunno , I'm suspicious of mail order.
I once ordered a bride from a mail order catalogue and got a substandard one (slightly shop soiled , worse for wear and not the colour and size I ordered) and tried to send her back
They refused me a refund and wouldn't cover the transport costs and I've been lumbered with her ever since :)

Dave Johnson29
08-17-2009, 11:07 AM

Well Rodney,

You only have yourself to blame. You obviously did not use a credit card for the purchase. Here in the US we can dispute an amount on the statement and after some investigation, if the vendor seems at fault, the card company usually goes with the purchaser and makes the vendor take the goods back and pay the refund. :);)

Dan Hintz
08-17-2009, 11:44 AM
I once ordered a bride from a mail order catalogue and got a substandard one (slightly shop soiled , worse for wear and not the colour and size I ordered) and tried to send her back
They refused me a refund and wouldn't cover the transport costs and I've been lumbered with her ever since :)
And to add to Dave's comments... if you had used American Express, you could have made a warranty claim and requested the latest model and gotten frequent flier miles, to boot! :p

Bill Cunningham
08-18-2009, 8:18 PM
Ya got me Mike, since 1872 according to their website. :)

http://www.wards.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=About_Us

A good old Canadian company has Got ya both..
Hudson's Bay Company (now known as HBC) The company was incorporated by British royal charter in 1670.. You could even order a real HB Blanket for only 2.5 beaver pelts..:D

Darren Null
08-18-2009, 8:21 PM
Seems a bit steep. How many beaver pelts is a blanket nowadays?

EDIT: And also:
http://www.angelandroyal.co.uk/pages/history.php
http://www.shoreporters.com/shore-porters-history.php
http://www.northlightfilmstudios.co.uk/
http://www.whitechapelbellfoundry.co.uk/history.htm
http://www.durtnell.co.uk/
R..A..A..A..A..S..S..S..S..S..P !!!

Bill Cunningham
08-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Seems a bit steep. How many beaver pelts is a blanket nowadays?

I think if you were to take a Beaver pelt to a HBC store today, you would be vilified as a cruel inhumane B*stard, and some naked woman from PETA would probably pour paint on you.. Unfortunately, The meek 'have' inherited the Earth :mad:
Canadian Club! Not just for seals anymore :D

Darren Null
08-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Fair enough. It's a good thing to treat your beaver kindly. -=straight face=-

Dan Hintz
08-19-2009, 7:56 AM
Must.... bite.... tongue.... :p

George Brown
08-19-2009, 3:48 PM
some naked woman from PETA would probably pour paint on you..

Haven't tried that one! ;)

Bill Cunningham
08-20-2009, 9:04 PM
Haven't tried that one! ;)

Hey I guess some folks are 'into' that..ha..

Sorry, I didn't mean to drag this thread off in a unintended direction..

Darren Null
08-21-2009, 1:17 AM
Beaver was mentioned. It was bound to happen.

Bill Cunningham
08-23-2009, 8:32 PM
Well, it IS Canada's national ... oh nevermind...:rolleyes: