PDA

View Full Version : scroll saw question

Dave Sharpe
08-15-2009, 10:56 PM
My wife talked me into going to my first craft show this week with a few intarsia-decorated coat racks and a stack of simple cutting boards. Most of my work in the past has been furniture for the house, etc, but we thought these products would sell well at this very small local craft show. Turned out we were right - we sold over $400 worth of product in just a couple of hours. Now I'm thinking about doing more craft shows,e specially with the Christmas season coming up. I'm looking at doing more intarsia-decorated household items, with en eye towards combining the decorative aspects of intarsia with useful products.
I'm using an old Sakura Scrollmate scroll saw that I picked up at a yard sale years ago. It works ok, but does not have tool-free or quick release blade clamps, so is a bit of a pain in the butt to use. I tried a cheap Ryobi scrollsaw from the Borg store, but it too was poorly designed and then the motor seized up after only an hour or so of work, so back it went. I see that PS wood machines offers a "quick release" top clamp that should fit the Sakura - has anyone out there tried this? Any other suggeestions? I'm also looking at the Dewalt 788 which is quite the upgrade, but also quite the expense. I'd appreciate any input.

Dave Lehnert
08-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Over the years I purchased my share of the $99 scroll saws. I would try all kinds of blades but got frustrated.
Purchased the DeWalt and never looked back. Opened up a whole new world in woodworking for me. It is one tool that after you see how well it works the price will not be an issue.

David Dockstader
08-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Dave,

I second Dave's comment (which I think makes me the third Dave on this thread). The DeWalt is superb. Ten minutes using it and you'll wonder why you ever stuck with the old Sakura.

Steve Mellott
08-16-2009, 12:49 PM
There have been several Dewalt scroll saws in our area that have recently sold on Craig's List for $250 - $300. You may want to check that source in your area as well.

Steve

george wilson
08-16-2009, 1:11 PM
NEVER BUY RYOBI TOOLS. In my experience,they haven't any durability.

Dave Sharpe
08-16-2009, 3:48 PM
i know - I know! Ryobi ain't good..... but at least I didn't go to sears and buy a Craftsman. Seriously - I LOOKED at their scrollsaws and felt dirty and used!
I guess my thought with Ryobi was that I'd try it out and learn what was good and what was bad about it without risking much money, then found that it was so bad I just got my money back. I did decide to splurge for a Dewalt 788 based in part on this group's feedback and ordered it last night - should get here in a coupla days. Gotta love Amazon and their quick delivery - even out here to my island in the Pacific (well- Puget Sound IS the Pacific doncha know?) SO my next question is - any body got any good scrollsaw teaching books out there for a novice scollsawyer?

Steve Mellott
08-17-2009, 5:42 PM
The Scroll Saw Workbook by John Nelson is excellent for beginners. You can find new and used versions on a number of internet sites.

Steve

george wilson
08-17-2009, 6:33 PM
I lived on Point No Point and Lime Kiln lighthouses when I was young. Dave,do you know these? It must have been in the 40's,after 1945,because I lived on Destruction Island lighthouse in 1945,when I was 4 years old.