PDA

View Full Version : Scaffolding for outside work

Stephen Tashiro
08-15-2009, 8:39 PM
I'd like references to useful designs for scaffolding that can be built from treated lumber and left outdoors. Also if there is commercial scaffolding that can be left outside all year, I'd like to know about such products.

In my perpetual home repairs, I've using scaffolding that was supposed to be temporary for many years. It consists of two sizes of frames build out of untreated, but painted 2x4's. The smaller is 2x3x6 ft. The larger is 4'-8" x 3 x 6 ft. The tallest configuration that I use one small frame on top of one big frame to make 6'-8" tall with 2"x6" planks on top to stand upon.
These frames are approaching the largest sizes that I want to move and stack up by myself. The 2"x6" planks tend to warp.

Rod Sheridan
08-17-2009, 1:59 PM
Hi Stephen, commercial scaffolding is available in a wide variety of styles and load bearing capacities.

The components are generally galvanized, with outdoor lumber/steel/aluminum decking depending upon type.

Any of the commercial systems would be suitable for you, unless you are forklifting pallets of blocks onto them:D.

You may be able to purchase usable but older scaffolding from a scaffolding supplier.

Regards, Rod.

Dave Wagner
08-17-2009, 2:15 PM
I used www.scaffoldmart.com (http://www.scaffoldmart.com), I ended up with qty (6) of the 5 Foot x 5 foot complete sections with FREE shipping. I added the adjusters and a set of casters. They had a closeout or something for like $88/section complete! (Tie bars, unions, etc..). I just have to make my own boards/platforms.

They have been sitting next to my shed for 3 years now, a bit faded, but holding up pretty good.

Keith Outten
08-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Last year when I was reworking my old barn a friend of mine brought his ladder jacks and aluminum walk board to the job. It didn't take long before I felt more comfortable on the ladder jacks/walk board combination than I did on my scaffolding, particularly when we started getting above twelve feet high.

I bought my own ladder jacks and an adjustable length aluminum walk board. No paint and no rust :)