PDA

View Full Version : Router Table - Changing Miter Track

glenn bradley
08-15-2009, 5:11 PM
I have been very thankful for the folks who have posted things here and encouraged me in my chosen hobby. I once procrastinated for 2 weeks before finally drilling some cast iron to add a TS wing. Everyone here said it would be easy and when I finally did it, it was.

Taking a router to cut into my router table would hae also given me pause once upon a time. For those who may benefit from an RT modification, let me be the one this time who says "go ahead, its easy".

I have grown to prefer the t-type miter tracks and fixtures vs. the friction fit ones. Yes I have magnetics and they are great where there's iron to stick to. I had recently changed my RT top to get some overhang on the left and right for clamping temporary fixtures. This top came with a miter track but not the type I wanted.

Someone had free shipping so I ordered the track.

The screw holes were just close enough to be a possible problem so I filled them with short pieces of wooden Q-tip stick and gap filling glue. The mess will get machined off as I widen the slot.

Rip a piece of scrap straight and clamp it down. Attack with a Colt and a 5/8" pattern bit.

The screws go through thew top and into the supporting struts below. That way if I get too rambunctious on the tightening, I won't pull the track and screws out of the MDF core.

There, now I am all happy.

Bill Huber
08-16-2009, 1:35 AM
Glenn, it looks good, now the question what stacked feather boards are you using, I would like to get a set like them.

Stephen Edwards
08-16-2009, 1:52 AM
Glenn, it looks good, now the question what stacked feather boards are you using, I would like to get a set like them.

Looks like the Rockler double stack that I have. I'm really pleased with mine on both the RT and BS.