PDA

View Full Version : How to route chamfer on tongue cut?

Mike Pond
08-15-2009, 4:10 PM
I'm working with 1" pine and routed a tongue on a board. I would like to have a small 45 degree chamfer on the edges of the tongue side; i.e., not the tongue, but the board's outer [now recessed] edge. Of course routing a chamfer on the board with the groove is no problem, but I'm stumped on how to do this on the tongue side, and it will look odd to not have the chamfer on the one side where the boards go together. Any suggestions?

Frank Drew
08-15-2009, 4:19 PM
Mike,

Assuming I understand your question correctly...

If you only have a few to do, a chamfering plane, or chamfering with any small plane, will make quick work of it.

For more, using a router table with a fence and a chamfer bit without a bearing, or one that had a bearing but with the bearing removed and the stud sawn or ground off. This method works well.

Not as nice a cut: On a table saw with the blade tilted to 45º and sticking up just a bit above the table.

Mike Pond
08-15-2009, 4:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Frank. I though of removing the bit bearing originally, but didn't see an immediate way of doing it. The bit is a Whiteside 2305. I assume there is some way to remove the bearing? Is it a really small hex? Almost looks circular. I don't have anything that fits it, but that solution will probably be cheaper than picking up a chamfering plane.

Simon Dupay
08-15-2009, 5:21 PM
A V-groove bit works too.

Frank Drew
08-15-2009, 9:52 PM
Simon,

That would work, and even if the tip of the V happens to score the tongue a bit, so what, it'll never be seen?

Mike,

I've seen router bearings held on either by hex nuts onto a threaded shaft (which shafts would have to be cut off for this procedure) or by bolts which usually take an allen wrench to remove, and these don't leave a shaft that needs cutting off.

Mike Pond
08-16-2009, 8:20 AM
Thanks all. I'll see if I can figure out how to remove the bearing from the Whiteside bit once more; otherwise I just found a V-groove bit in a box of unsorted bits that got thrown in on an ebay purchase of a new Whiteside bit.

Curt Harms
08-16-2009, 9:01 AM
If you go with the V groove bit, could you make a sort of zero clearance fence or insert for the router table fence? the less space around the V groove bit the better the result, I'd think.

Mike Pond
08-16-2009, 6:54 PM
V-groove worked like a champ. No special fence/insert required.

Thanks again.