PDA

View Full Version : Signed, sealed, and delivered.....

Mike Svoma
08-15-2009, 3:17 PM
Hello all,

I delivered my inside-out cross lamp to my niece this morning. This was a gift for her high school graduation. She will be leaving to go to college on Monday at Belmont Abbey in North Carolina. I gave her this lamp as a special gift to remember all of us back here when she is so far away. She was extremely pleased with it.

The wood for the lamp is: Black walnut body and base, Ambrosia bird's eye maple for the feature ring, and Steve Schlumpf bird's eye maple for the center spire. Black felt on the bottom for cushion.

A special thanks goes out to Larry Marley for his excellent video showing the inside out turning process. I couldn't have done this without watching that video a few hundred times.....LOL.

C&C welcome as always.

Mike

Brian George
08-15-2009, 4:16 PM
It's a dandy, Mike. Saw it at our club meeting at the beginning of the month and it sure is beautiful!!...

Mike Svoma
08-15-2009, 4:18 PM
Thanks Brian.

Bernie Weishapl
08-15-2009, 4:51 PM
That is a beauty Mike. I am sure she will love and cherish it.

Chris Rae
08-15-2009, 5:59 PM
Beautiful lamp! What a wonderful gift!

Steve Schlumpf
08-15-2009, 6:03 PM
Mike - beautiful lamp! Love the imagination! Very nice form! Beautiful woods and finish! The photo of your niece holding the lamp says it all! What more could you ask for? Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Bill Bolen
08-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Your gift and the receipant are lovely! I'm sure she was pleased with such a piece of craftmanship.. First rate...Bil..

Jeff Nicol
08-16-2009, 7:42 AM
Mike, Like Brian said we all got a hands on preview at the meeting at the beginning of the month and you did a fine job for a first time inside out turning of such magnitude! You put lots of thought and heart into it and your niece will have an heirloom for the rest of her life and on into her future children and grandchildren!

Congrats and thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Joe Mioux
08-16-2009, 8:53 AM
mike, that is a beautiful lamp. I too have a kid heading to college this week. You gave me an inspiration. i think I will turn something like a pencil holder for him for his desk.

joe

Mike Svoma
08-16-2009, 2:45 PM
Thanks for all of the kind words. I really enjoyed this project. My sister in law was so impressed with it that she would like me to make one for her for their home. She has an apple motif in the house, so that is what I am going to do for her. I'll post when I do it. It will have to wait til later though. Christmas projects and hunting season will be taking priority this fall.

Thanks again.

Mike