PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Mug Help needed

Pete Jordan
08-15-2009, 3:15 PM
A while back I saw a video on the web of a man turning a coffee mug with a handle. Does anyone know where this video is?

Thanks,

Pete

Kyle Iwamoto
08-16-2009, 4:06 AM
It's on you tube, just search for turning a coffee mug or something like that. I didn't see anything in paticular that interested me, he didn't give any tips or anything. The one on you tube anyways. I found more info on just reading articles.

Turning one is pretty straight forward, just hollow out a branch, test fit, hollow, test fit, hollow. The template would make things go much faster. It's all blind cutting, so it's a small challenge to get a mug that's not too thick.

BTW, where did you get your mug? I'm too cheap to spend 10 bucks retail at the local candy store.

Colin MacDiarmid
08-16-2009, 6:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aalbuXHEAOA

Pete Jordan
08-16-2009, 8:50 AM
Thanks for your help but it is not the one I remember. The one I am thinking of does not have an insert and he turns it sideways to do the handle.

Jeff Rich
08-16-2009, 11:44 AM
I think one of the Woodturning Design articles featured a tea/coffee cup and saucer project.
The fellow had a little jig and pattern to cut it all out of a solid piece.
I will see if I can locate the article.
I found it!
Issue #5 Woodturning Design

Kyle Iwamoto
08-16-2009, 1:13 PM
Oh, you meant a coffee cup that is all wood? My bad.. I dunno about that, heat and water always makes wood shift around and crack.