PDA

View Full Version : Wood storage system spacing - 4' or 6'?

Chaz Alexopoulos
08-15-2009, 1:46 PM
I just bought a wood storage system and it recommends I space the supports either 4 or 6 feet apart. Each shelf holds 110 pounds and there are 6 of them. I'm new to woodworking and not sure which spacing would be best for me. I plan on making some kitchen cabinets next year and then some furniture later, if that makes any difference. It seems at this point that 8' boards don't stay at 8' very long in my shop. If I put them 6' apart, will 1x8 stock want to bow in the middle? If I put them at 4', which is better for smaller stock, is a 2' overhang at each end for 8' stock going to be a problem?

So, 4' or 6' spacing? What do you use?

Thanks in advance for your help.

glenn bradley
08-15-2009, 2:26 PM
I was at 32" but got problems where 6/4 and thinner were not supported. Since I was mounting to studs, I went to 16" but 24" would have probably been fine. The problems developed where the ends were unsupported. 48" would probably be fine for much thicker material, but the thinner stock needed more support; at least in my environment.

Stephen Musial
08-15-2009, 2:32 PM
Mine are 4' apart. If long boards start sagging on the ends, I just flip them over (I have some 4/4 pieces that are over 12' long). BTW, if it's a standard house/garage, you'll have your choice of 4', 5'-4" or 6'-8" (studs every 16") so 6' proper isn't really an option. I would have liked to have gone 5'-4" but that wasn't an option on the wall because of a window and sub-panel.

Chaz Alexopoulos
08-15-2009, 2:38 PM
Mine are 4' apart. If long boards start sagging on the ends, I just flip them over (I have some 4/4 pieces that are over 12' long). BTW, if it's a standard house/garage, you'll have your choice of 4', 5'-4" or 6'-8" (studs every 16") so 6' proper isn't really an option. I would have liked to have gone 5'-4" but that wasn't an option on the wall because of a window and sub-panel.

Actually going on a block wall in the garage so I can put them at any distance. I'm leaning towards 4'. I don't anticipate having boards longer than 8' but you never know. I suppose I could put some 2x shelves on them if I had to, for added support, but I like the idea of air circulating all around the stock.

russell lusthaus
08-17-2009, 1:06 PM
I just hung one - 5 supports each spaced 30 inches apart. With one foot of overhang on each end, I can suuport up to 12 foot lumber. I can also support 6 and 8 foot lumber to the end of the boards if you place them in the middle of the rack.

Chaz Alexopoulos
08-17-2009, 1:14 PM
Thanks Russell. I only had 2 supports and put them 4' apart. I laid some cheap 2x4x8 ww studs across the bottom 2 suports for short pieces. If this doesn't work out I will buy another set and put one support in the middle of these two, and the other two feet further out. I hope I don't need a 3rd set.