PDA

View Full Version : Asking for Prayers - Updated 8-21-09

Steve Schlumpf
08-15-2009, 1:37 PM
My wife’s oldest son, Steve, and his family live in St. Paul, MN. He and his wife Tami have given us 4 beautiful grandchildren who we do not get to see nearly enough. Last week we received some disturbing news regarding their youngest son, Logan.

Logan has had increasing problems using his right arm and the doctors figured he might just grow out of it as he is only 21 months old. A series of tests have been done over time and last week they finally managed to get an MRI. The MRI found a lesion on the top of his spinal cord, from the bottom of the brain stem down to the 5th cervical vertebrae. They think that the lesion has been there for a long time and grown right along with Logan – but it is causing paralysis of his right arm and needs to be addressed.

Logan is scheduled for surgery on the 19th of August and as can be guessed - this is a very dangerous area to be dealing with. I am asking for your prayers for little Logan as well as for strength for his parents to get through all this.

Tami put together a Caring Bridge website to help keep family and friends informed as to what is going on. If you have the time… http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/logantreder

I waffled back and forth over posting this as I was raised that these things were family matters and best kept private as you did not want to burden others. Then I got to thinking – for me, SMC is family!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and prayers!

Steve

Bonnie Campbell
08-15-2009, 1:52 PM
Prayer being said. I see nothing wrong with asking for prayers to help a family through rough times.

Steve Schlumpf
08-15-2009, 2:07 PM
Thank you Bonnie! You know, when you are raised a certain way, it tends to stick with you - even when you are old enough to know better!

Rod Sheridan
08-15-2009, 2:08 PM
Steve best wishes for the outcome of Logan's surgery.

Regards, Rod.

Heather Thompson
08-15-2009, 2:09 PM
Steve,

We are family here at SMC, Logan and all of your family will be prayed for, as I recall your were there offering prayers for my father a few weeks ago.

Heather

Sean Troy
08-15-2009, 2:48 PM
He will be in our prayers here at my house. Hang tough. He'll be ok.

Harvey Ghesser
08-15-2009, 2:52 PM
Steve,

Good thoughts and prayers have been said for Logan.

Thank you so much for sharing your life and your family with us here at the "Creek".

Not meaning to minimize Logan's forthcoming surgery but my experience in the medical field (I'm a Registered Respiratory Therapist) has been such that a dire picture is generally painted and the outcome is usually positive!

Children's Hospital and the affiliated medical staff know what they're doing! It is a great place for the little ones. I believe it.

Harvey

Brian Kent
08-15-2009, 3:42 PM
I'm praying for Logan, for God to work through the medical system and beyond.

Jim O'Dell
08-15-2009, 3:48 PM
My prayers are offered up also. Not just for Logan and you family members, but for everyone involved in the surgery, not just surgeons and nurses, but to the entire staff from the cleaning crew on up. May God guide their hands and their actions. Be sure to keep us informed! And yes, we are family here. Jim.

Ron Jones near Indy
08-15-2009, 8:46 PM
Jim said it all very well.

David Christopher
08-15-2009, 8:49 PM
Steve, you can count on us, all of yall will be in our prayers

Norris Randall
08-15-2009, 8:55 PM
Steve,
Don't hesitate to keep us posted. As I write this short note, my prayers are with Logan and you and all of your family and close loved ones.

I'll be watching for good news after Aug 19.

God bless US All.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-15-2009, 9:29 PM
Steve,

Thoughts and prayers from our household!

Brent Smith
08-15-2009, 9:29 PM
Steve, you, Logan and the rest of your family will be in my thoughts on the 19th. Remember, any surgeon that works on that part of the anatomy is by definition one of the best...keep good thoughts.

Bill Huber
08-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Steve, you got then.......

Keep us posted please.

Sam Layton
08-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Steve, I am praying for Logan, family, and for the doctors guidance.

God Bless you all, Sam

Alan Trout
08-16-2009, 12:54 AM
Steve, this is easy, I will gladly send my prayers Logan's and your family's way.

Alan

Glenn Clabo
08-16-2009, 6:10 AM
Steve,
Laurie and I have your family and all those who are needed to make him well in our thoughts and prayers.

Tony De Masi
08-16-2009, 7:00 AM
Steve,

Thoughts and prayers are being said from my family to yours. Little Logan's story has spread through my family, so many more prayers are on the way as well.

Tony

Don Orr
08-16-2009, 5:41 PM
You got it Steve. Best wishes for a good outcome. These young ones are amazingly resilient. Hope this is just a very small bump in his road of life.

Peter Luch
08-16-2009, 6:18 PM
You got it!

Anything for kids!!

Aloha, Pete

gary Zimmel
08-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Steve

Logan will be in Geri and my thoughts and prayers.

Dennis Peacock
08-17-2009, 8:57 AM
You can count me in buddy. Prayers for Logan and the entire family.

Phyllis Meyer
08-17-2009, 11:02 AM
He and family will be in our thoughts and prayers!

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Rob Cunningham
08-17-2009, 1:18 PM
Steve,
We are family here.
Prayers sent for strength and healing for Logan and the whole family.

Belinda Barfield
08-17-2009, 2:15 PM
Steve,

I'm here for you and your family along with all the others. I have marked my calendar for a special day for thoughts of Logan and all of his family.

Steve Schlumpf
08-17-2009, 6:25 PM
Folks.......... I am deeply touched by your show of support. I am truly humbled and can only say - Thank You. I appreciate the prayers! I will let everyone know what is going on - as soon as I do.

Thanks again!

Charlie Knauer
08-17-2009, 6:41 PM
Steve, Little Logan and your family are in my prayers.

Charlie

whit richardson
08-17-2009, 7:34 PM
Steve we'll be praying for all your family (this can't be easy) and specifically for Logan and his parents. We have some close home school families that pray together so they will be praying too and our Texas connections. As you know everything is bigger in Texas including prayers and miracles.

John Shuk
08-17-2009, 7:50 PM
He is in my prayers.

Alan Greene
08-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Steve, Logan and your family are in our prayers.

Steve Schlumpf
08-19-2009, 4:59 PM
Just got the my first update from the surgery.

After almost 6 hours in the OR, found out that the surgeons could not remove the lesion. They took 2 samples from different areas and are awaiting biopsy results before figuring out the next step of treatment.

Logan is scheduled for another MRI tomorrow and will remain asleep until after the MRI is completed.

At this point, further surgery has been ruled out.

My family and I appreciate all the support. Thank you all! I will post updates when we receive any news.

Phyllis Meyer
08-19-2009, 5:23 PM
Steve,

Thank you for the update, and he will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers! Prayers for the medical team to know what to do!

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Leigh Costello
08-20-2009, 11:10 PM
Still praying here, Steve.

Jim O'Dell
08-21-2009, 2:35 PM
Still praying here, Steve.

Here too. Jim.

Steve Schlumpf
08-21-2009, 3:31 PM
Thanks for the support everyone!

After having been knocked out for well over 30 hours, Logan finally was allowed to wake up. His first word after getting the breathing tube removed was 'Cookie!' So, that's a good sign! Another lucky thing is that at age 21 months, his favorite food group is 'Popsicle' and he promptly ate 4 of them!
After spending the afternoon and most of the evening being held by either Mom or Dad, Logan finally fell asleep on his own. Great photo here of him holding onto the knitted bunny Grandma Colleen made for him!
Thanks again everyone! Your words of encouragement mean the world to us!

Alan Greene
08-21-2009, 4:00 PM
We continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Being hungry is definitely a good sign.

Norris Randall
08-22-2009, 4:29 AM
Hi Steve,
Back with another , "Thank you Lord"
Logan has been on my mind and in my prayers every day since I read your initial post.
The photos are great. Please forward Love from our house to all of your family.
Norris

ROY DICK
08-22-2009, 2:37 PM
Steve,
Remeber Logan is a Precious Child of GOD, and prayers are with you and your family.

Roy and family

Orion Henderson
08-24-2009, 1:35 PM
Went through surgery on my 16 month old in January. In the grand scheme of things hers was very minor. I still shed a lot of tears. My heart breaks for you and yours. Wishing you all the best.

Steve Schlumpf
08-24-2009, 6:35 PM
Orion - I hope that all is well with you and your child! Having things medically wrong is a challenge for anyone but having that happen to a child that has no understanding about what is taking place is just heartbreaking.

I hope your daughter is doing well!