PDA

View Full Version : Wood River #4 smoother review

Brett Clark
08-14-2009, 11:59 PM
After being outbid time and again on ebay and not having the funds for a LV or LN, I took a chance and purchased a Wood River #4. Since I haven't seen a lot of reviews for the Wood River planes yet I thought I would share.

First Impressions: It seems pretty well made to me. For comparison, I have two other planes: a Buck Brothers block and a LV BU Jointer. Overall workmanship is certainly not in Lee Valley's class, but it's miles ahead of the Buck Brothers.

Before using. there was plenty of oily stuff to clean off and the blade did have to be sharpened.

To test it out, I put it to work smoothing a scrap piece of walnut. Once I got it adjusted, I was very happy with the result. This was the first time I've used a smoother plane and it only took a few strokes to decide that I probably won't be buying a lot sandpaper in the future.

At this point, I have only two complaints about the tool: First is the lateral adjuster, which is just a stamped piece with the end twisted. As others have noted, it looks like the rivet that holds it on will loosen up with time. It's really the only part of the plane that feels cheap. Second is that the handle is a little small for my hand.

On the whole, I give it a thumbs up, but I think they should dump the wooden box it comes in and use the savings to improve the lateral adjuster.

Michael Faurot
08-15-2009, 12:53 AM
At this point, I have only two complaints about the tool: First is the lateral adjuster, which is just a stamped piece with the end twisted. As others have noted, it looks like the rivet that holds it on will loosen up with time.

I had a chance to mess with a #3 WoodRiver for awhile. On the whole I liked it, and found the same shortcoming with the lateral adjuster. Most of the plane is well made, except for the adjuster which is just stamped metal.

I like your idea of dumping the wooden box in favor a better quality lateral.

Jim Koepke
08-15-2009, 2:19 AM
After being outbid time and again on ebay and not having the funds for a LV or LN, I took a chance and purchased a Wood River #4. Since I haven't seen a lot of reviews for the Wood River planes yet I thought I would share.

[...]

On the whole, I give it a thumbs up, but I think they should dump the wooden box it comes in and use the savings to improve the lateral adjuster.

Were you bidding on a Bedrock planes or Baileys?

I like your idea of dumping the wooden box in favor a better quality lateral.

The wooden box may be an idea from the marketing department.

jim

jerry nazard
08-15-2009, 7:49 AM
Brett,

Thank you for the review. The WR planes have certainly taken a bashing on some of the forums.

I bought a #4 just to satisfy my curiosity, and have been quite impressed with it. A newcomer to planes, with just a few basic sharpening skills, can get a very nice plane for a very few bucks.

I would recommend the WR to anyone on a budget starting out in hand tools.

-Jerry

george wilson
08-15-2009, 1:15 PM
You could make the handle a little larger if you take it off,and rasp away some of that grossly too large a lump of wood at the top. Rasp it so it looks nicer,more delicate.The increased hand space might help you.

Jim Koepke
08-15-2009, 1:23 PM
The tote comment went right past me.
As George says, it is your plane now, modify the tote and it will be a lot more enjoyable to use. Many of my planes have had wood taken away at the top and bottom curves. On some of my larger planes, this makes a lot of difference.

jim

Charles Murray Ohio
08-15-2009, 1:46 PM
I was down at Popular Woodworking last friday to reshoot some photos. After we were done Chris told me to take a #4 Wood river and a block plane of theirs. If you get a chance to hold a LN in one hand and a WR in the other, no comparison. The WR is heavy and unbalanced, has a lot of backlash in the depth adjuster. Personaly I would rather owne 1 good plane than 2-3 crappy ones. Now as far as price point our local Woodcraft is running LN 20% off next weekend, and they ship. I have had some people tell me they can't do that, so call them yourself 614-273-0488

Tristan Raymond
08-15-2009, 2:07 PM
I had a chance to hold a WR plane a few weeks ago and I think that the comment about the tote size refers to it being to small around. Funny, the new Stanley tote looked big and poorly shaped but felt comfortable; the WR is nice and round, but very small in diameter.

Richard Magbanua
08-15-2009, 6:54 PM
I was down at Popular Woodworking last friday to reshoot some photos. After we were done Chris told me to take a #4 Wood river and a block plane of theirs. If you get a chance to hold a LN in one hand and a WR in the other, no comparison. The WR is heavy and unbalanced, has a lot of backlash in the depth adjuster. Personaly I would rather owne 1 good plane than 2-3 crappy ones. Now as far as price point our local Woodcraft is running LN 20% off next weekend, and they ship. I have had some people tell me they can't do that, so call them yourself 614-273-0488

20% off and they ship? The sale in Indy next weekend is only 15%. I may have to give them a call!

Brett Clark
08-15-2009, 8:23 PM
Were you bidding on a Bedrock planes or Baileys?
I think all the ones I bid on were Baileys.

I think that the comment about the tote size refers to it being to small around.
My problem is that it's not quite tall enough to accommodate my wide hand comfortably. I think George has a good idea about altering it's shape. If it still bothers me when I've finished with my current project I think may do that.

Personaly I would rather owne 1 good plane than 2-3 crappy ones. Now as far as price point our local Woodcraft is running LN 20% off next weekend,
I would prefer to own a good plane as opposed to several crappy ones as well. But I much prefer to have decent, usable plane instead of no plane at all. At 20% off the LN is twice the cost and if I had those kinds of funds, I would've gone for a Lee Valley.

Tristan Raymond
08-15-2009, 9:16 PM
All politics aside, they looked very nicely made to me. As did the new Stanley planes.

David Keller NC
08-16-2009, 9:35 AM
I suspect that some of the negative/positive variation in reviews of the WR planes may be influenced by quality control, or lack thereof. I examined one of these closely a few weeks ago at a local Woodcraft, and found it completely unacceptable - the fit/finish of the machining was rough and inconsistent, and there was a great deal of slop in the mechanism.

That said, though, many others have posted that the ones they looked at were quite good in this department, so I do wonder if there's a lot of variation in the examples on the shelf.

george wilson
08-16-2009, 9:42 AM
Maybe a lot of variations in opinions about what was good?

David Keller NC
08-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Maybe a lot of variations in opinions about what was good?

Also highly possible. Some folks are primarily focused on the price, and will overlook some issues, others will accept no defects, regardless of a low price. I belong in the latter camp.

george wilson
08-16-2009, 6:14 PM
David,if you want LOW price and NO defects,maybe you have BEER money and CHAMPAGNE judgement!!:)

Charles Murray Ohio
08-16-2009, 6:41 PM
20% off and they ship? The sale in Indy next weekend is only 15%. I may have to give them a call!
I belive they will charge for shipping

Stephen Reid
08-16-2009, 6:58 PM
George I think you should read Daves post a little more carefully. Steve

george wilson
08-16-2009, 8:51 PM
It was a joke,Stephen.

Mark Maleski
08-16-2009, 9:07 PM
David,if you want LOW price and NO defects,maybe you have BEER money and CHAMPAGNE judgement!!:)

George, I'm even worse off - my favored beers all seem to be pretty expensive!

David Keller NC
08-17-2009, 8:14 PM
George I think you should read Daves post a little more carefully. Steve

I got the joke, but more to the point I would never consider saving $100 on a tool that I will use for a lifetime if saving that $100 means accepting even questionable quality attributes. It's not unusual to see comments on this board and others to the effect that "I can't afford (LN, LV)". My suspicion is that is true only in 1% or less of those posts. For some rather odd reason, most folks don't perceive a hand tool as having the same value equation that they would extend to a stationary power tool or the wood they'd need to build a bookcase worthy of the living room (instead of the basement shop). In my case, the hand tools are worth more than the stationary power tools because they can do quite a few things that the power tools can't.

bridger berdel
08-18-2009, 12:49 AM
I got the joke, but more to the point I would never consider saving $100 on a tool that I will use for a lifetime if saving that $100 means accepting even questionable quality attributes. It's not unusual to see comments on this board and others to the effect that "I can't afford (LN, LV)". My suspicion is that is true only in 1% or less of those posts. For some rather odd reason, most folks don't perceive a hand tool as having the same value equation that they would extend to a stationary power tool or the wood they'd need to build a bookcase worthy of the living room (instead of the basement shop). In my case, the hand tools are worth more than the stationary power tools because they can do quite a few things that the power tools can't.

yabbut you still have to have cash flow. now if you are a hobby woodworker whether you can afford a thing has to do with what cash flow from your day job can be used for tools and how badly you lust after a particular thing. but if like me you have to buy tools to do the work which makes the cash to buy the tools there is a short term necessity to buy tools that can be purchased right now, with the money in hand right now. other than that, I hunt for finds in the second hand market, which gets me plenty of baileys and no LN. I cannot afford to buy a LN or LV plane that I can readily a bailey equivalent of if the bailey is within easy fettling range. I did buy a LV shoulder plane, the most money I've spent on a plane yet, because I couldn't find an old one in good enough shape quickly enough. I'm happy with that purchase.

Floyd Mah
08-18-2009, 3:39 PM
There's been a big controversy over whether WR was copying LN who was copying Stanley. Regardless of that, many people think that they are well constructed and work well for the price. Anyway, if you live in the SF Bay Area, Japan Woodworker is selling many of the similar bench planes (#4, #5, #6, #95) for 30-50% off. They told me that LN had pressured them to make modifications in the planes which would make them cosmetically different from the LN planes. I would guess the WR would have to make similar changes in the future if they want to carry the LN line. They would probably be forced to liquidate their inventory also. A great value gets even better.

Sean Hughto
08-18-2009, 3:57 PM
I think you might be talking about the Borg line. If so, those looked like Japan Woodworker had sent some LN planes to China and asked if they could make copies. They looked VERY similar to LN (though I doubt they were actually anywhere near in quality/fit/finish/materials). The point is that the Wood River (Woodcraft) planes are not nearly such direct copies, and therefore, are unlikely to incur the wrath of LN. But I'm just speculating.

Joel Goodman
08-18-2009, 8:33 PM
I think you might be talking about the Borg line. If so, those looked like Japan Woodworker had sent some LN planes to China and asked if they could make copies. They looked VERY similar to LN (though I doubt they were actually anywhere near in quality/fit/finish/materials). The point is that the Wood River (Woodcraft) planes are not nearly such direct copies, and therefore, are unlikely to incur the wrath of LN. But I'm just speculating.

Interesting as the "Borg" planes are not on the Japan Woodworker website anymore. They looked like a LN copy with the bronze lever cap and iron body. I for one am glad they're off the site!

Floyd Mah
08-18-2009, 9:39 PM
These are the same planes that WR is selling unless Japan Woodworker had them made to their own specifications from the same factory. They have the same Stanley Bedrock design that LN copied. The chip breaker design is indistinguishable from the LN. They even have the cheap lateral adjuster than others have been commenting about. I own a couple of LN planes, so I am aware of their fit and finish. I think that LN did a fine job of establishing an enviable reputation for quality, but I don't feel that importers of these planes are necessarily competing with LN as with other planes occupying the middle to lower end market. In that market, the quality of workmanship is very spotty and these planes are only a short step away from being very much better provided one spent a small amount of time tuning them. Also, I don't think that I've seen any other source of Bedrock design planes. Having said all that, I think it would be a disservice to those with a more limited budget were these planes to disappear from the market. Also, consider the possiblity that it may compel the lower end manufacturers to improve their product.

Joel Goodman
08-18-2009, 9:50 PM
The Japan Woodworker planes had the two tone look of the LNs -- I believe the WR do not.

Mike Henderson
08-18-2009, 10:12 PM
There's been a big controversy over whether WR was copying LN who was copying Stanley. Regardless of that, many people think that they are well constructed and work well for the price. Anyway, if you live in the SF Bay Area, Japan Woodworker is selling many of the similar bench planes (#4, #5, #6, #95) for 30-50% off. They told me that LN had pressured them to make modifications in the planes which would make them cosmetically different from the LN planes. I would guess the WR would have to make similar changes in the future if they want to carry the LN line. They would probably be forced to liquidate their inventory also. A great value gets even better.
WoodRiver is carried by Woodcraft who also carries the LN planes. Last time I was in woodcraft they had both lines of planes, as well as the new Stanleys and some cheap line.

LN needs retail outlets to sell their planes. If they withheld their line from Woodcraft, it's difficult to see who would be hurt more.

Mike

Floyd Mah
08-18-2009, 11:47 PM
LN would likely be hurt more by a store carrying the LV line of planes at the same time than the WR line. Those inclined to buy a higher-end plane would not be fooled by a LN-look-a-like although they should scrutinize the differences and decide if they should pay up to several hundred dollars more. I guess what I find remarkable is that LN doesn't trust in its' target clientele's ability to discern the qualitative differences. Besides just fit and finish, I've been impressed by others on this site reporting after-sales customer service which distinguishes LN from indifferent manufacturers. Instead of the usual spartan display that often is present in the stores, LN could sell more planes despite the initial cost if they have some PR emphasizing how they take interest in customer satisfaction. I suspect that is an important consideration for many who buy LN products besides the quality.

David Keller NC
08-19-2009, 6:18 PM
yabbut you still have to have cash flow. now if you are a hobby woodworker whether you can afford a thing has to do with what cash flow from your day job can be used for tools and how badly you lust after a particular thing. but if like me you have to buy tools to do the work which makes the cash to buy the tools there is a short term necessity to buy tools that can be purchased right now, with the money in hand right now. other than that, I hunt for finds in the second hand market, which gets me plenty of baileys and no LN. I cannot afford to buy a LN or LV plane that I can readily a bailey equivalent of if the bailey is within easy fettling range. I did buy a LV shoulder plane, the most money I've spent on a plane yet, because I couldn't find an old one in good enough shape quickly enough. I'm happy with that purchase.

Yes, however, that is still a choice for whether you wish to afford a LN or a LV, not a case where you can't afford a LV or LN. Perhaps, though, that is not the case and your cash would be erased by a $200 purchase (or a $300), but you'd be a very rare individual making furniture indeed. Most keep a relatively large bank account to accomodate buying lumber in bulk - in the thousands. I am, of course, assuming that you're in business making furniture, wooden ware, musical instruments or some other type of "fine" woodworking. Most finish carpenters that I'm aware of do not use hand tools much beyond an occasional block plane.

Caspar Hauser
08-19-2009, 6:55 PM
Most finish carpenters that I'm aware of do not use hand tools much beyond an occasional block plane.

Record No's 7, 6 and 5, Record 'compass' plane, Stanley No's 60 1/2, 4 1/2 No ? Scraper, beading tool and rebate plane, LN medium shoulder plane, Butt mortice plane, small router plane, Rebate block plane and card scrapers, Woodie beading plane, Rasps, 2 or 3 spokeshaves, 15+ chisels, 5+ hammers (various patterns 4oz warrington and up) Tenon saw, crosscut and rip saws, 3 or 4 Japanese saws, Brace and bits, Stanley egg beater, striking knives, 3 or 4 squares, Siegley combi plane. That's just off the top of my head, and that's what I generally keep in the truck, plus chopsaw, tablesaw, compressor/guns, router table, bits, 4 routers etc etc. I wonder how I fit.

Now I understand why people look at me funny.:)

"if like me you have to buy tools to do the work which makes the cash to buy the tools there is a short term necessity to buy tools that can be purchased right now, with the money in hand right now."

Know that sensation..

CH

David Keller NC
08-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Caspar - You're a rare bird indeed in this case. I'm heavily connected to this trade in the Raleigh/Durham area through several independent decades-long friendships. Most (in fact, all) of these guys primarily use powered miter saws, shapers (when making custom moldings), nail guns, etc... One of them does use a small LN block plane to back off the back side of a miter when called for, and a coping saw to cope crown molding. But that's it.

I'm not trying to be cute here, but you really should consider writing a book about your methods/experiences specifically towards applying hand tools to finish carpentry. To my knowledge, there are no madern texts on this subject, and hand tool books do very, very well of late.

Caspar Hauser
08-23-2009, 5:41 PM
it'd be short! :)

jerry nazard
08-23-2009, 5:52 PM
Caspar,

Do you do much work around Lenox? I spent a good deal of my growing up years there. You have some homes in that area with REAL TRIM! <gr>

-Jerry

Caspar Hauser
08-23-2009, 6:48 PM
I work mainly in North West Connecticut.

I'd love to see inside some of the houses in Lenox and the area in general, there is some phenomenal work out there.

I'd also like to get the chance to see inside the Dewey Castle in Great Barrington, I saw some images on the internet, it seems worth a peruse!

Ron Petley
08-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Yes, however, that is still a choice for whether you wish to afford a LN or a LV, not a case where you can't afford a LV or LN. Perhaps, though, that is not the case and your cash would be erased by a $200 purchase (or a $300), but you'd be a very rare individual making furniture indeed. Most keep a relatively large bank account to accomodate buying lumber in bulk - in the thousands. I am, of course, assuming that you're in business making furniture, wooden ware, musical instruments or some other type of "fine" woodworking. Most finish carpenters that I'm aware of do not use hand tools much beyond an occasional block plane.

I did wood working for a living in the past and this sums it up.
I had a Record block plane and a Record #4, used the block plane mostly.
Not until I quit it for a living have I had time/money to buy and use hand planes. And also true for me buying lifts of hardwood was also where the money went. I had a lot of nice boards and little time, now I have a lot of time and few boards, go figure.
Not to hijack the thread but I found the above comments right on.
Cheers Ron.