PDA

View Full Version : Lie Nielsen 3M adhesive backed sandpaper

Jeff Johnson
08-14-2009, 9:46 PM
So, I'd like a couple of yards each. Think I could get 5 guys to go for a fifth of an order, each grit?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=3m

Jim Koepke
08-14-2009, 10:45 PM
I just bought 3 rolls from Supergrit.com for a little less money that would be needed to order one roll from Lie-Nielsen.
They are available in a few sizes including 2-1/2, 3 & 4-1/2 inch width by 25 feet. Lie-Nielsen's rolls are longer.

The rolls I have received from Supergrit are F weight paper. It looks like the Lie-Nielsen rolls might be a lighter weight paper. Both companies have phone numbers, you could give them a call and ask to make sure.

One other thing to ask, is if there is a backing sheet on the sand paper. Some PSA papers are wound on rolls without a backing sheet. For some customers, this is preferred. This may not make a difference to you, but if you are thinking of dividing the rolls, it could make a big mess if it does not have backing paper.

My use of PSA rolled sandpaper was for doing plane soles, but found using a long section can take metal off of a blade fast enough to warm the fingers. That is cool or hot, but it can sure speed up cleaning an old blade to have a 4 foot strip of abrasive. It goes faster than my powered set up and do not have to stop for over heating.

For blades, I use 80 & 150 then go to the 1000 and up water stones.

They have 2-1/2 inch by 5 yard rolls at $6 and less. That would not be wide enough for a #8 blade and would require some care with a #7 (2-3/8 inch) blade.

Please note, I do not have any affiliation with this company. I have ordered their products about 3 times now and am happy with their products and service.

jim

Jeff Johnson
08-15-2009, 8:14 AM
Thanks for the info, Jim!