PDA

View Full Version : Wood this make a good wood working Drill Press?

David Schmaus
08-14-2009, 9:07 PM
This is a couple miles from my house. Would this make a good wood working drill press?

Wilton 20" Geared Head Drill Press, 120 to 3625 RPM

w/ Adjustable T-Slotted Table and Coolant Trough

The motor is two speed, 1.0/1.2 HP, 230V/3PH/60CYC. The T-Slotted table is 25" L-R X 20 F-B including coolant trough. Quill travel is 5". Eight (8) Spindle Speeds are 120 RPM to 3,625 RPM. It is equipped with a Jacobs 1/2" Ball Bearing Key Chuck.

This is a ebay auction but I dont think I am allowed to post the link. If I am let me know and I will post it.

Thanks

Scott Hildenbrand
08-14-2009, 9:42 PM
Looks like a fine drill press. You'll be wanting to put a wood working style table on it, but other than that it looks like it will fit the bill great.

At 6 days left, expect the price to jump WAY higher than what it's at.. I swear, these people who bid on stuff at >1 day left are nuts. It just drives the price up. Me personally, I stick with sniping.. Though always have a chance of loosing, but oh well.. 75% success works for me.

Now.. I could NOT find any information online about #20600, even at their site. So no clue about the full specs.

At any rate, it's a metal working drill press, which will go at several RPM's you will most likely never see in your life and has a HUGE metal table.. But it's looks like a fine press indeed.

Oh.. Don't forget that it's a 230v three phase machine.. So you'll need a dedicated line just for it.

Bruce Wrenn
08-14-2009, 9:45 PM
Got 3 phase in the shop? If not, add the cost of a VFD, or replacement single phase motor.

Bob Aquino
08-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Looks like a fine drill press. You'll be wanting to put a wood working style table on it, but other than that it looks like it will fit the bill great.

At 6 days left, expect the price to jump WAY higher than what it's at.. I swear, these people who bid on stuff at >1 day left are nuts. It just drives the price up. Me personally, I stick with sniping.. Though always have a chance of loosing, but oh well.. 75% success works for me.

Now.. I could NOT find any information online about #20600, even at their site. So no clue about the full specs.

At any rate, it's a metal working drill press, which will go at several RPM's you will most likely never see in your life and has a HUGE metal table.. But it's looks like a fine press indeed.

Oh.. Don't forget that it's a 230v three phase machine.. So you'll need a dedicated line just for it.

What Scott said. You can run that with a VFD, probably for around 150 more that will give you your 3 phase from 220v house current. It is overkill for woodworking but that isn't a reason not to get it. It will be very heavy too. The newer Wiltons are Taiwanese I don't know if that one is American or not.

Scott T Smith
08-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Wilton manufacturers excellent metal working tools. That drill press is probably 2 - 3K new.

It would be an excellent drill press for wood; albeit a little large.

Bill Huber
08-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Looking up the drill press it sells for $5000 and if you could get it for under a $1000 that would be one heck of a drill press.

You can get a new Steel City for under $700 so I guess its all in what you can get it for.

As was stated it is a real over kill for woodworking.

Larry Edgerton
08-16-2009, 8:35 AM
I have a huge Walker Turner with a fixed table/elevating head and an auto feed for threading. It weighs a ton, literally. I see no reason not to use a heavyweight, and many many reasons to use a heavy weight metal drill press.

#1 reason to use one. THEY DO NOT MOVE!

I use a VFD to control mine as it is 3ph and I don't want to have to run my converter just to drill a hole. I run mine on 110V as it is a 1 hp reversible motor.

Right now if you forget fleabay and watch the auction houses there are deals on old heavyweights all over as our manufacturing capabilitys are being sold out by big industry and our own government. I paid $250 for this one, less than the price of scrap.

Myk Rian
08-16-2009, 9:33 AM
Me personally, I stick with sniping.. Though always have a chance of loosing, but oh well.. 75% success works for me.
That's what I do also. Last 5 seconds of the auction.