PDA

View Full Version : Food safety and buffing compound

Mike Minto
08-14-2009, 5:08 PM
hey, all - do you use any buffing compound on anything you will be eating from or placing food on? even with, say, 'salad bowl finish' as a final coat? thanks, mike

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2009, 9:39 PM
Mike I don't buff anything used for food. Of course I use Mike Mahoney's walnut oil and also Minwax Antique Oil but still won't buff. Thats just the way I do it.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Carnuba wax is edible (supposedly), so it should be safe to buff with that.

Jeff Nicol
08-15-2009, 7:04 AM
Mike, The MSDS sheets for White Diamond and Tripoli are virtually identical. It states that prolonged exposure to skin may cause irritation. Also the contain silica which is not good to breath while buffing as the tiny particles are flying in the air. If you ate a bunch of it you might get a belly ache, but the little bit that may be left on the bowl after you buff it would be minimal at best. Most of the time the woods that should be used for food are very tight grained and would have no areas for the polish to get embedded in, and as already said carnuba is a natural product and is perfectly safe to apply. Like most things we come in contact with if you use to much or expose yourself to it for to long in may not be good for you in some way or another. That is my input, good luck and have fun!

Jeff