PDA

View Full Version : Jointech IPM-1 Help

Leonard MacKey
08-14-2009, 4:38 PM
I recently bought, literally, a trunk full of woodworking tools at an estate sale. While sorting them out, I came across a JoinTech IPM-1, Model 1, SN 005011. In looking at the JoinTech site, I find it listed in their history, but nothing else.

I, obviously, don't know a thing about it other than it appears to be some type of precision fence system. It appears to be complete, but without a manual it's impossible for me to tell. I have contacted Jointech via email (no answer on either phone number), but have not received a reply.

Can anyone out there help me out? Any ideas, materials, contacts, etc. will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Leonard

Charles Lent
08-20-2009, 10:40 PM
I have an IPM-1.

There never really was a manual of any sort for them that I know of (bought mine new sn# 501). The IPM-1 makes a very precise fence system for a router table or a table saw (for small parts).

Along with the IPM-1 the original package contained an extruded aluminum fence that bolted to the end of the IPM-1, an assembled push block with a dovetail edge to ride in the top groove of the fence, a couple of router bits, and a long clear plastic tube containing an assortment of plastic strips with red and black lines on them. Did you get all of this?

Somewhere I have a .pdf file for printing the inserts for it. I'll be happy to send it to you if I can find it. The original inserts were white plastic strips with accurate positioning marks in red and black on them. They were used to aid in setting each fence position for making dovetail and box joint cuts. The printed paper versions will work OK if you print them out on stiff paper.

I use my IPM-1 on a router table, mostly just as a precision fence, but with the included parts (including the inserts above) it can be a very useful tool for doing precision joinery.

Send me a PM with your e-mail, mailing address, phone # etc. (don't post it here) with the best time to reach you and I'll give you a call to discuss the IPM-1 and how to make it work for you.

I've heard that Jointech's owner died some time back and the Jointech family has been having a difficult time trying to pick up the pieces of the business and move forward. It's a real shame, because they made some very unique products.

Charley

Carl Foreman
04-23-2014, 11:24 AM
I have a manual for this JoinTech router fence that I can upload!!!!287903

Charles Lent
04-23-2014, 2:54 PM
I can also help with information about the IPM-1. If you fail to get what you are looking for from the previous posters, send me a PM.

Charley

Brian McCutcheon
05-04-2014, 7:02 PM
Hello Charles
I too have the Jointech IPM-1 and think there is something wrong with the clincher. It doesn't seem have a solid closing action when clinched and allows the fence to wobble a bit. I'm wondering if something is wrong inside the unit. Do you have any exploded parts diagrams have knowledge of this problem?I would appreciate any help.
Thanks

I can also help with information about the IPM-1. If you fail to get what you are looking for from the previous posters, send me a PM.

Charley

Charles Lent
05-04-2014, 10:07 PM
There is no clincher on the IPM-1. There is a button that you push that releases the incremental positioner and a lock knob. You loosen the lock knob and then push and hold the button with one hand while you slide the fence to the position that you want with the other hand. When you release the button the fence should detent into position. You then tighten the lock knob to lock it in position. If you need to position the fence a partial increment you can turn the lock knob and then turn the knob on the end of the threaded lead screw to move the fence a few thousandths and then lock the fence back in position with the locking knob. The lead screw has a 32 thread per inch thread, so a full revolution or 1 increment = 1/32 inch. The lock knob needs to be tight, but not cranked tight. Too much force will damage it.

There is a clincher on the next generation of Join Tech fence, but an IPM-1 or an IPM-2 does not have one.

I don't have any parts lists or exploded views of the IPM-1, but a basic understanding of mechanical machinery make this fence positioner easy to understand and repair. It is just a 32 pitch lead screw with a 32 pitch nut segment connected via a spring to the button. When the button is pressed the segment lifts off of the lead screw allowing the fence to be moved if the lock knob has been loosened. The nut segment will drop into the lead screw threads in 1/32" increments whenever the button is released.

Charley

Brian McCutcheon
05-05-2014, 1:16 AM
My mistake, I have what they called a "Clincher Fence Machine" and "Smartfence". Thanks for clarifying that. Any chance you know of someone that has first hand knowledge on my model? It has seen very little use and seems almost brand new which leads me to think a part might be missing.

Charles Lent
05-05-2014, 6:26 PM
Sorry I can't help with the Clincher Fence or the Smart Fence. I never bought either of them.

Charley