PDA

View Full Version : Cradle's done! - W/pic

Joe Tonich
03-23-2003, 1:40 PM
Thanks to all who helped on answering my Q's (AND helped get me a new tool:D )

It's made out of Curly Cherry W/Curly Maple wedges in the tennons. Finished with 1 coat Velvit Oil, then Lacquer (Spray can, Rustoleum, all I could find:( ) then 3 coats of wax.

Next tool is going to be a good spray gun! (Any advice??)

Joe Tonich
03-23-2003, 1:42 PM
I was refering to when I asked about mortising the tennon.

markus shaffer
03-23-2003, 2:14 PM
That's very nice work on that cradle. I've got some family who would like me to make some of those. I think the kids are a little old at this point though.

As for the spray gun, I have a Wagner 2600 HVLP. There was a review on HVLP guns in Fine Woodworking about a year and a half ago. The Wagner received pretty good praise from them which is what influenced me. I have been happy with it. Used it just last night actually. Sprayed tung oil on some door pulls for cabinets I just finished and then latex paint on some Pine chairs my girlfriend drug in off the street. I've not had any problems with it and if I remember correctly, it wasn't all that expensive(maybe $400 from tool crib) compared to some of the other HVLP systems out there.

-Markus

Tom Sweeney
03-23-2003, 2:30 PM
Joe,
That cradle looks great! I love that maple. Is it really that redish color or is it a camera trick?

The finish looks great also - Rustoleum & all.

I think I recall this being a gift for someone - if so I'm sure they are thrilled with it.

Dick Parr
03-23-2003, 3:50 PM
Very Nice Joe!

Jim Baker
03-23-2003, 3:59 PM
Absolutely wonderful work. Sorry, I can't help with the sprayer. All I have is a cheap Campbel Hausfeld air compressor sprayer.

Ted Shrader
03-23-2003, 5:14 PM
Joe -

That is beautiful. The grain really pops. It is very pretty in the picture, I'll bet it is even better in real life.

Well done,
Ted

Lee Schierer
03-23-2003, 6:04 PM
That turned out really nice. Good job.

Lee

Von Bickley
03-23-2003, 6:18 PM
Very nice work. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Jim Young
03-23-2003, 8:03 PM
That looks great.

Oh, and Man am I glad I don't have one of those things in my house any more.:D

John Miliunas
03-23-2003, 8:48 PM
Joe, super job! Love the wood and a very nice touch with the tenons! Thanks for sharing. :cool:

Stan Smith
03-23-2003, 10:15 PM
Here's a pic of the cradle that I made for my grand daughter and now being used by her cousin, our new grandson. Got the plan from Wood mag, but had to modify it to make it safe.

Stan