PDA

View Full Version : newbie sandpaper follies

Matt Stiegler
08-14-2009, 12:51 PM
What an idiot I am.

Months ago, I bought 2 100-disk boxes of sandpaper from Amazon for my PC 333 ROS (which has a hook and loop pad). I used one or two and they sure didn't seem to stick very well, so I just kind of ignored the problem for a while. Today I finally get around to looking at it, and I realize I bought the wrong disks. I bought PSA instead of hook and loop. (I thought I was being mighty clever making sure I bought discs with the right number of holes in them, had no clue there were different backing options.) Now I've got 200 disks and its too late to return them.

So I guess I'm now the proud owner of $50 worth of sticky circular hand sandpaper.

Scott Hildenbrand
08-14-2009, 1:00 PM
See, my problem is the other way around... I've got the right backing.. Just the wrong # of holes.. :D

Must say, mine is an easier fix though.

As for your issue, can't you take an old hook and loop disk, lather on some glue, slap down a piece of lexan and let that dry, then drill out the holes? Poof... PSA to H&L converter.

Just 2 cents of an idea.

dan sherman
08-14-2009, 1:00 PM
post them here, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Maybe someone will take them off your hands.

Matt Stiegler
08-14-2009, 1:34 PM
Great idea, Scott, I'm going to try that. Thanks.

Dan, I thought about trying to sell them, but my guess is that 5-hole PSA discs wouldn't be a hot seller.

Scott Hildenbrand
08-14-2009, 1:53 PM
Let us know how it works out and post pictures.. ;)

Figure a good contact adhesive would work. Might need to knock alot of the sand off, or not....

Hey.. I just come up with the hair brained ideas.. It's up to others to do something with them. :D

Jim Rimmer
08-14-2009, 2:20 PM
I've bought replacement hook & loop pads at HD. I think they have the sticky kind , too. Don't know about 5 hole. Maybe worth a look.

Lee Schierer
08-14-2009, 2:25 PM
Dan, I thought about trying to sell them, but my guess is that 5-hole PSA discs wouldn't be a hot seller.

I have a 5 hole PSA PC sander, but I have plenty of sandpaper at the moment.

Matt Stiegler
08-19-2009, 9:55 AM
Let us know how it works out and post pictures.. ;)

Figure a good contact adhesive would work. Might need to knock alot of the sand off, or not....

It turns out that just sticking it to an old disk works fine. No adhesive beyond the sticky back of the new disk needed. Problem solved. Thanks again, Scott.