PDA

View Full Version : A pet peave of mine

Rick Huelsbeck
08-14-2009, 12:45 PM
People who ask you for advice that is freely given, and then when they get a great deal on something they try to sell it to you for 3 times what they paid for it. I'm not against making a profit, however; I think that is just trying to take advantage of people.

I'm a computer programmer who used to be a computer tech so I'm pretty knowledgable about the suckers. So when I do a side job for a company I expect to get a pretty good check out of it, but if I'm asked by an acquaintance for advice, within reason I give it freely. That is just like this board, some of you guys on here make your living by knowledge us amatures wish we had, and when we ask a question, thank goodness, you guys are willing to give that advice.

If I had given someone advice, then they offer to sell me something they got a great deal on for 3 times more than they paid for it, I'm sorry, I'm going to be insulted and well I think anyone should be.:mad:

Rich Stewart
08-14-2009, 12:58 PM
None of my friends have ever tried to make a profit off me. You might want to be sure of what you are calling a friend.

Jason Beam
08-14-2009, 1:12 PM
I caught that, too, Rick. I agree with you.

It's too late, now, I guess. I suppose I'm glad I know who to avoid, though.

Prashun Patel
08-14-2009, 1:19 PM
Yup. Kinda tacky.

Rob Russell
08-14-2009, 4:02 PM
I caught that, too, Rick. I agree. If you're going to try to profit from a deal you got thanks to this place, do it somewhere else so we don't know you're a snake. Too late, now, I guess. I suppose I'm glad I know who to avoid, though.

Jason,

Without knowing who y'all are talking about - your comment could be miscontrued as being directed at Rick. I'd suggest you reword your post a bit so that's clearer. FYI, you have 24 hours to edit your post from when you post it.

Rob

Gene Howe
08-16-2009, 8:18 AM
My advice is free......and most often, that's all it's worth.

glenn bradley
08-16-2009, 10:14 AM
My advice is free......and most often, that's all it's worth.

My advice is worth half what it costs.

I'm sorry for whatever it is that happened to prompt this thread. Having been on the receiving end of a very unpleasant experience with a now-vanished member of this forum, I know the bad feelings. There is a sense of trust and fair play here at SMC for the most part. When a bad apple sneaks in and we get bit, it hurts extra bad.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-16-2009, 10:36 PM
One of my pet peeves is that unspeakably poor grammatical habit that people have who are incapable of distinguishing between an adverb and an adjective and then bring failing that to a casual greeting.

"It's not good~!" I want to say.
But alas, you can lead a horse to water.

Al Willits
08-17-2009, 8:48 AM
One of my pet peeves is that unspeakably poor grammatical habit that people have who are incapable of distinguishing between an adverb and an adjective and then bring failing that to a casual greeting.

Are you saying those with out the benefit of perfect English should not post?

Al

Jim Rimmer
08-17-2009, 1:04 PM

What? :confused:

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-17-2009, 3:48 PM
Are you saying those with out the benefit of perfect English should not post?

I re re-read my post just because I was unsure how you got to that construction. Nope, I said nothing at all about people posting.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-17-2009, 4:07 PM
What? :confused:

Easy answer:
Google good vs well

Prashun Patel
08-17-2009, 4:20 PM

I'm not trying to be confrontational. But, would you please elaborate? I'm finding these posts cryptic yet intriguing!

Jason Beam
08-17-2009, 6:00 PM
Shawn et al,

I believe what Cliff was talking about was when people answer the question "How are you doing?" with "I'm doing good," rather than "I'm doing well."

Cliff,

I haven't evolved enough linguistically to get tweaked by that type of foible. I'm still stuck on people using then/than a/an where/were/ware/we're correctly. :D

Rick Gooden
08-17-2009, 10:09 PM
I get tweaked by improper use of to and too. Another is the use of at, like "where are you at", that one drives me crazy.

Al Willits
08-18-2009, 8:14 AM
I guess I'd be more concerned with what people say than if they say it well/good/better/correctly/?
To each their own I guess.

al

Prashun Patel
08-18-2009, 8:28 AM
Mine's when people confuse rabbet, rebate, and rabbit.

Anthony Anderson
08-18-2009, 9:26 AM
I guess I'd be more concerned with what people say than if they say it well/good/better/correctly/?
To each their own I guess.

al

I feel exactly the same way Al. I know when to use "good" vs. "well", but I do use both. So Cliff, I suppose we will never meet, for my fear of using "good" incorrectly. No offense. All in good humor:).

I don't care how people speak, or what words they choose to use. No offense intended to anyone, but imagine, for a moment, how many people, and their knowledge, we would not benefit from, had we chosen not listen to those who didn't have correct grammar. That would be sad.

I pay attention to the message, rather than the grammar of the messenger.

With that said, if someone refuses to use the simplest puncuation and capitalization, then I will add that person to my ignore list. Simple punctuation and capitalization is just a common courtesy, and doesn't really take any effort. It is essential, especially if the author wants people to read their post, and be able to understand it without re-reading it three or four times.

Okay, I'm done now:D.

Jim Rimmer
08-18-2009, 4:12 PM
I agree with Cliff especially when it applies to people who make their living from language, such as news anchors. One that bothers me now is the differentiation between Senators and Congressmen. :confused: Congress is made of senators and representatives. Both are congressmen; one is senator and the other a representative. Newsmen seem to try to elevate the senator above congressman.

And along those lines is "a joint meeting of Congress". Congress refers to both houses so isn't a joint meeting of Congress redundant? :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-19-2009, 9:43 AM
I'm not trying to be confrontational. But, would you please elaborate? I'm finding these posts cryptic yet intriguing!

Jason Beam said it well enough.

As a general proposition the word "good" is not appropriate to modify the verb "doing" as an answer to the colloquial inquiry into how one is doing.

"I am doing very well thank you." would be the answer that indicates that one was paying attention in sixth grade grammar presentation.
Whereas the response: "I am good" yields the over all impression that the person speaking has an identity confusion with Jesus Christ.

Of course it is possible that her last name might be "Good" in which case the grammar would be correct but the answer supplied would be inapposite to the question.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-19-2009, 9:58 AM
I feel exactly the same way Al. I know when to use "good" vs. "well", but I do use both. So Cliff, I suppose we will never meet, for my fear of using "good" incorrectly. No offense. All in good humor:).

Wise selection as I am a garrulous old curmudgeon.

I don't care how people speak, or what words they choose to use. No offense intended to anyone, but imagine, for a moment, how many people, and their knowledge, we would not benefit from, had we chosen not listen to those who didn't have correct grammar. That would be sad.

I think you may have confused my sentiments about grammar with some entirely different issue of passing judgment on people.

I pay attention to the message, rather than the grammar of the messenger. I am big on the Gestalt. While I might be peeved about horrendous grammar I can tell when a person knows what he or she is talking about.

Or stated another way: Just because a person is ignorant about how to say a thing, does not mean that the person doesn't know well the thing about which he or she is speaking.

With that said, if someone refuses to use the simplest puncuation and capitalization, then I will add that person to my ignore list. Then you probably would not enjoy reading Brunner Barth or Bultmann all famous scholars and theologians whose writing can go pages with nary a comma.

Simple punctuation and capitalization is just a common courtesyIt is that and way more.
I have seen enormous amounts of money change hands over something as small as a comma.

Here parse this sentence:
This (following) sentence was in a 14 page agreement for what Rogers Communications Inc., thought was a five-year deal with Aliant Inc. to string Rogers' cable lines across thousands of utility poles in the Maritimes for an annual fee of $9.60 per pole. The reading of one a lousy comma changed everything to the tune of more than $3-million-dollars.

"[The agreement] shall continue in force for a period of five years from the date it is made, and thereafter for successive five year terms, unless and until terminated by one year prior notice in writing by either party.”

What is the logical conclusion one draws from reading that one sentence regarding the following questions:
How long is the term of the agreement?
Is it self renewing?
What about termination?

Pay attention to the comma placement. It meant the world to Rogers.

The court did exactly as one would expect: It enforced the contract according to the terms of the written agreement.

Punctuation and Grammar fit very nicely into the scope of the old expression that begins: "For want of a nail the shoe was lost [...]"

Brian Kent
08-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Mine's when people confuse rabbet, rebate, and rabbit.

It's easy to remember:

When I got my new GTI I celebrated the Rebate on my Rabbit by eating some Rarebit.

Brian Kent
08-19-2009, 10:35 AM
And along those lines is "a joint meeting of Congress". Congress refers to both houses so isn't a joint meeting of Congress redundant? :D

Depends on what they are smoking.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Sentences that end in prepositions.
That's yet another peeve.

Jason Beam
08-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Ideal

I just don't understand how fully grown adults can go through their entire lives hearing almost everyone else use the word "idea" where they use "ideal". You hear it correctly all the time! Some of these people even write it properly but speak it incorrectly. That baffles me.

"Hey! I have a great ideal!"

Really? I have several. One of them is to try to speak properly!

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-19-2009, 7:18 PM
Ideal

everyone else use the word "idea" where they use "ideal". You hear it correctly all the time! Some of these people even write it properly but speak it incorrectly. That baffles me.

Is it a California thing?
They call writing instruments Pins.

I've heard "idear" a lot.

Jim Rimmer
08-19-2009, 8:45 PM
Sentences that end in prepositions.
That's yet another peeve.
To quote Churchill, after his secretary had corrected his letter in which he had ended a sentence with a preposition, "That is something up with which I will not put." :D

Matt Meiser
08-19-2009, 9:02 PM
Here its the s's. Wal-Mart's, K-Mart's, Ford's (Henry hasn't owned the place in quite some time.)

Jon Lanier
08-19-2009, 9:04 PM

Sorry I try, but I'm dyslexic. And no, I'm not going to put a note through the grammatical computer index every time, and I mean it. :)

Steve Clardy
08-19-2009, 9:08 PM
Crazy thread...Lol

:D

Jason Beam
08-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Is it a California thing?
They call writing instruments Pins.

I wish ... I've heard it in Iowa, Florida, Arizona, California and Massachusetts. It seems to be an all-over thing, sadly.

Bruce Page
08-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Crazy thread...Lol

:D

OMG! Is Lol proper English? :eek::eek::rolleyes:

Steve Clardy
08-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Nope. <------- :D

Brian Ashton
08-20-2009, 1:30 AM
With that said, if someone refuses to use the simplest puncuation and capitalization, then I will add that person to my ignore list. Simple punctuation and capitalization is just a common courtesy, and doesn't really take any effort. It is essential, especially if the author wants people to read their post, and be able to understand it without re-reading it three or four times.

Okay, I'm done now:D.

Just checking to see if I'm on your list or not... ;)

I don't recommend you sign up for any australian forums cause they'd all be on your ignore list :D. They trash the english language something fierce, both verbal and written like no one else.

Keel McDonald
08-20-2009, 9:22 AM
A pet peeve of mine is when I'm watching a game (baseball in particular), and at the end of the inning the commentator says there's no score. Of course there's a score, 0-0. If one team never scores a run in the game, does that mean the game never happened?

David G Baker
08-20-2009, 9:37 AM
Looks like George Carlin is still alive in this thread. :D

Jim Rimmer
08-20-2009, 12:15 PM
I heard a comedian say once that consonants never just disappear; they reappear in other areas and words. For instance, when someone in Boston refers to their "cah" instead of car, the R reappears in the South at the end of "idear".

Danny Thompson
08-20-2009, 1:20 PM
Sentences that end in prepositions. That's yet another peeve.

If you get irritated by grammar, you should tune into this podcast. It contains lots of tips, myths, and advice about how not to be socially outcast by being obnoxious about "proper" grammar.

For example, one segment (http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/ending-prepositions.aspx) includes the following statement:

"I'm going to start calling this 'grammar myth number one' because nearly all grammarians agree that it's fine to end sentences with prepositions, at least in some cases."

It, then, explains when and why.

Finally, it ends with the following sage advice:

". . . the bottom line is that many people think it's wrong, so I wouldn't advise ending sentences with prepositions in critical situations, for example, you shouldn't do it in a cover letter for a job you really want. I always say, 'It's better to be employed than right.' But once you're hired, end away, and do your part to dispel grammar myth number one."

Check it out!

(If the link above doesn't work, try http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com and search "ending preposition.")

Jim Rimmer
08-20-2009, 1:28 PM
(http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/ending-prepositions.aspx) includes the following statement:

Check it out!
Good website, Danny. It also brings up another grammar peeve - redundancy, as in "I'm going to return this back to you." If you are going to return it to me then it's obvious it is coming back to me so why say it twice?

I'm not really that picky; I just had some really good English teachers years ago and their lessons have stuck with me.

Ben Hatcher
08-20-2009, 2:01 PM
I’m a little more forgiving of people who don’t know the difference among there, their and they’re. There are two sides to a bell curve. For every honors student there’s a kid who eats paste. ;)

What gets my goat is when people who are perfectly capable of good writing don’t take the time to proof read, or provide the information needed to make sense of what they wrote. For example, I often get asked about “the report” without providing any clues for me as to which of the hundreds of possible reports “the report” is.

My favorite communications blunder occurs when I get an email that I’m sure is intended to ask me to do something but contains no verbs.