PDA

View Full Version : 15 1/2" Wall Hanging/Eastern White Cedar

alex carey
08-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Here is my first official wall hanging, its made of eastern white cedar. 15 1/2 in diameter.

Very fun piece to turn but it needed a lot of sanding, this wood tears out a lot, especially when there are gaps.

I originally wanted to get two wall hangings out of this wood but it just didn't TURN out that way, too bad though, the wood is really nice, tons going on.

Comment, Critiques and opinions welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
08-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Alex - looks great! Very pretty wood! Really like the 'ripples in a pool of water' effect of the ring design! Nice effect - very imaginative! Keep up the good work!

Scott Hackler
08-14-2009, 12:35 AM
I like the front a lot. Very cool and I can see myself making something similar. I dont think I would have turned a foot on a wall hanging.. though. Not that it really matters since you dont see it while on the wall.

Jeff Nicol
08-14-2009, 8:02 AM
Alex, You have now become the true wood turning artist! Just get a beret and a poofy sleeved jacket and you will be in!!! HA HA!! I had to say that as all my buddies say you have to be a little flambouyant or eccentric to be a true artist! Nice pics of you at the lathe and great finished product! Keep up the good work!

Jeff

Tony De Masi
08-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Very nicely done. The waves are very hypnotic too. Now for the critique. I would really like for you to consider wearing some type of air shield while you are doing your sanding. Maybe you took it off just for the picture? You appear young enough to have many many more years of turning ahead of you so I would highly suggest that you consider this.

Tony

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Nicely done Alex. The waves are cool and finish looks great.

David Walser
08-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Alex,

I like it a lot. However, it screams, "Make me into a clock!" Can't you hear it?

alex carey
08-14-2009, 1:01 PM
Don't worry Tony, although its nothing fancy, I wear a bandanna quadrupled over my nose while sanding, just took it off for the picture.

Thanks for the kind words.

Scott Hackler
08-14-2009, 3:20 PM
Heres a stupid question. What is the deal with what looks like an extra drive and live center off to the side of your lathe, in the first picture? (just curious)

Tony De Masi
08-14-2009, 3:35 PM
Scott, those are standard equipment for the 3520B. They are used to hold a spindle behind and above the ways if you are trying to copy that turning. You are able to reference the turning easily and make any measurements quite easily.

Tony

Tony Greenway
08-14-2009, 5:15 PM
Alex, that is a great looking wall hanging. I admire your courage to push that start button with a large chunk of tree like that.:eek:
..........Tony..........

alex carey
08-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Tony Greenway you might think its ballsy, but it really isn't that bad, I have a 6 inch faceplate on the back with 24 2 inch screws in it. As you can see it was also between centers so it was pretty safe.

I roughed it around 300.

Chris Rae
08-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Great looking wall hanging! That is really beautiful, you did a wonderful job on a great piece of wood!

Jake Helmboldt
08-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Heres a stupid question. What is the deal with what looks like an extra drive and live center off to the side of your lathe, in the first picture? (just curious)

Scott, what a stupid question! I'm glad you asked, that way I didn't have to look dumb asking. :p

I would have never figured out the answer that was revealed.

alex carey
08-15-2009, 12:28 AM
yeah im not sure why I kept it there because I have never used, just seemed wrong to get rid of them.