PDA

View Full Version : Eagles pick up Vick...

Tom Henry
08-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Here are my thoughts. I am not a fan of MV nor do I support what he did in anyway...but this is a multi-billion dollar game and its all about putting a W next to your name at the end of the day. MV will add more W's next to the Eagles name this season. He has did his time and many big names are standing behind him and supporting him. For this I won't burn all my Eagles gear and I will still support them with picking up MV. Go Birds!

Eric Larsen
08-14-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm ok with this as well -- with one caviat.

The Eagles have to play "Who Let the Dogs Out" at every home game. :D

PS -- GO PATRIOTS!

Keith Outten
08-14-2009, 6:33 AM
1- I'm glad to see him leave my home state of Virginia but I wish he was still in jail.

2- If the Eagles have to sink this low to win I feel sorry for them, it shows that sportsmanship is dead in their organization. If I could put a hex on the Eagles I would wish them nothing but ill will and misfortune.

3- This sends the wrong message to the young ones who look up to these sports figures who set a poor example on and off the field. There was a time when our society put children first, now its money and I blame the fans for allowing this to happen.

4- I will be watching to see if any companies shower him with money for promotions so I can be sure to put them on my list of companies not to do business with.

5- Pete Rose's offense was miniscule compared to what Michael Vick did and look at the price he had to pay....and he is still banned from baseball to this day and probably will never receive his place in the hall of fame.

:(

Mike Null
08-14-2009, 7:43 AM
Keith

I have mixed feelings on this but he was judged, convicted and served his sentence. While I'm glad the Steelers didn't take him I do think he deserves another chance.

There are a fair number of criminals playing in the NFL and NBA who get off with wrist slaps.

I was a long time Reds and Pete Rose fan. He belongs in the HOF.

Randy Cohen
08-14-2009, 8:37 AM
I think he's going to get his butt kicked on the field. I'm sure that there's a lot of animal lovers playing D.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2009, 8:45 AM
He did his time. Let's see if he's really changed.

What about the drunk football player that hit and killed the guy in Florida. Now there's a real judicial farce!

Mike Null
08-14-2009, 8:57 AM
Ken

And the drunk St. Louis Ram (Leonard Little) who also killed a guy. Served no time. Was arrested again last year for DWI, again served no time.

Larry Browning
08-14-2009, 9:04 AM
What about the drunk football player that hit and killed the guy in Florida. Now there's a real judicial farce!

I agree with you on this one! Let's see, one guy gets 2 years for being cruel to dogs, while another guy gets 30 days for killing a human.
Why is it that we let drunk drivers get away with taking the lives of innocent people? In my mind, anyone that is drunk behind the wheel is doing so with the intent of doing harm to someone or themselves. It wouldn't bother me a bit to see killing someone while driving drunk be a capitol offense.

Doug Shepard
08-14-2009, 9:49 AM
Mr Vick should be made to wear a fire hydrant costume and forced to do community service in a dog park. Seems only fair that the dogs get to exact some payback.

Scott Donley
08-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Keith

I have mixed feelings on this but he was judged, convicted and served his sentence. While I'm glad the Steelers didn't take him I do think he deserves another chance.

It is odd how we can pick and choose who this applies to. If it was a child molester going to work at a day care would you still say "He did his time" ? Even big business has a choice in their employees and I think most would pick someone with better character. He did not Just fight dogs.
I am with Keith on this one.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2009, 11:02 AM
So nobody deserves a 2nd chance regardless of the crime. All people who commit any crime are should be treated the same?

I'm sorry. IMHO there is a significant difference between dog fighting and child molestation.

As much as some folks would like to make everything "black and white" it's not that way.

So if someone gets caught cheating on their taxes we should make that a capital crime?

And the guy who is driving too fast...instead of a few hundred $$ ticket....life in prison...hey...folks have been killed as a result of a speeding reckless driver.

It's not black and white.........nothing is......

Scott Donley
08-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Ken, just pointing out that to say it is ok because he did the time is really just an opinion that the crime was not that bad and you think he deserve a second chance. Not saying everything is black and white.

Keith Starosta
08-14-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm watching his press conference right now. The words coming out of his mouth are those of a remorseful person. However....I'm not sure so convinced that he is truely sorry for what he did. He got CAUGHT. For that, I think he is sorry.

I agree with Mr. Fitzgerald, in that I do believe that a second chance may be in order. One of the things, for ME, that I am impressed with is that Tony Dungy is so outspoken and supportive of MV. I have a ton of respect for Tony, and the fact that he is standing at the side of this convicted criminal, telling everyone who is listening that MV deserves this chance, speaks very loudly to me.

- Keith

John Schreiber
08-14-2009, 11:40 AM
He's done his time and he's "paid his debit to society" whatever that means.

But, I don't choose to associate with people who think like he does. He has apologized for what he did, but unless he's really changed, and I don't see any sign of that, I think the Eagle's are showing that they will sacrifice honor to win.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-14-2009, 12:05 PM
I can't imagine why any one thinks this is even an issue.

It is appalling that we have got to a point where we as a people seem to want to inflict an endless stream of misery and punishment on people who do things that are politically incorrect.

Get accused of a DWI and you find the burden of proof at trial is unlawfully shifted onto you to prove innocence.

Get accused of improper conduct with a minor and the burden of proof unlawfully shifts to you to prove yourself innocent - and even if you succeed - you are forever tainted. It will follow you everywhere forever.

Get accused of harming an animal and the crazies will forever be at your doorstep and hounding you everywhere you go.

Lose that DWI trial and you may find yourself forever banned from obtaining a professional license in a great many states.

If your ex-spouse accuses you of using a bad check or behaving in an ugly or aggressive manner you may find yourself forever banned from obtaining a professional license in many states.

We have become a people who are enormously obsessed with heaping coals on the heads of certain sub-sets of society composed of people whose plight or status is such that they are unable to gain a sympathetic audience. So they become the target for all of society's venom, and pent up rage.

It is such an ugly thing.

Rich Stewart
08-14-2009, 12:11 PM
He shot, drowned, and hung innocent dogs and squealed with delight as he watched those dogs die terrified. Isn't this how serial killers get their start? What happens when he gets tired of watching dogs die? Does he start on humans? Is it a bigger kick? It is still inside him. No matter what comes out of his mouth, now that he wants to get rich again, he is still less than human to me.

Dog lover, Vick hater.

Eric DeSilva
08-14-2009, 12:24 PM
He was convicted by a jury of his peers. I don't think there is any question about what he did. This is not a case where he has been labeled guilty by association or hung by the press and not a court.

And, yes, technically he has paid his debt to society. That is why he is now free. Just because he is free and has paid his debt, however, does not in my mind mean that the NFL should permit him to play, or that the Eagles should hire him. The NFL and the Eagles--as well as the AFL and the rest of professional sports franchises--should take some responsibility for recognizing that the people they hire are role models, not simply point scorers.

I'm with KO on this one. He's toxic to me and if anyone puts him in an endorsement, they are off my shopping list. Just because we allow him to roam free in society doesn't mean he has the right to command respect or a seven digit salary.

Keith Outten
08-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Michael and his brother have a track record concerning the law here in our area.
Goodbye and good riddance Michael Vick :)

Eddie Simmons
08-14-2009, 1:27 PM
I"m glad he is not going to play for panther"s We love the two dogs that we saved from this type of activity.
Eddie

John Shuk
08-14-2009, 1:45 PM
I'm pretty much disgusted by the whole thing. There is more to life than Ws.

Peter Aeschliman
08-14-2009, 2:11 PM
I have two dogs and I love them as much as I love many humans. I definitely consider myself a dog lover.

What he did is so disgusting that it truly makes me sick to think about. It revealed an evil that has to be deeply a part of who he is... otherwise he wouldn't get any pleasure out of watching those innocent dogs be tortured and killed.

BUT I also think he deserves a second chance on this one. He may only be truly remorseful because he was caught and his his evil side was revealed to the world. But I think all of us need to take a look in the mirror. How often in our lives have we done something wrong, that we knew was wrong, and continued doing it until we got caught? And at that moment, when the light is cast on you, you realize how terrible what you've done is? You begin to look in your soul and you sincerely become remorseful.

Regardless of how bad the behavior is, I think most any human can relate to this. No, I'm not a child molester or dog fighter or drug dealer, etc. I think at our core, we all have evil tendencies of some kind, and we have a tendency to hide it and let it fester until it's discovered... then we really do feel sincerely terrible about it.

The guy messed up big time. And the guy paid for it bigtime. He lost all of his worldly possessions and and did a fair amount of jail time. He's shown signs of genuine remorse and is getting involved in the community- particularly youth who are more likely to be introduced to dog fighting. The NFL made it crystal clear that he's hanging by a thread.

Give the guy a shot to prove himself.

Les Heinen
08-14-2009, 3:05 PM
Thought this might be appropriate. Middle Linebacker??

Greg Peterson
08-14-2009, 3:47 PM
One either has empathy or they do not. The heinous nature of Vick's actions reveals a person devoid of one of the most fundamental, distinguishing attributes of a human being.

There is no rehabilitation for someone that lacks empathy. I'm sure he is remorseful, but not for the reasons we would hope for.

He has served his time, paid his debt to society and so on. He is free to pursue life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That the NFL would welcome him back into their operations is a clear sign that their values are not in line with mine.

I doubt this will prevent me from watching games, but ever more I grow accustomed to watching professional sports with a jaundiced eye and a continuously growing feeling of guilt as my viewing is a tacit approval of their policy.

It's simply disgusting.

Belinda Barfield
08-14-2009, 3:55 PM
Here are my thoughts. I am not a fan of MV nor do I support what he did in anyway...but this is a multi-billion dollar game and its all about putting a W next to your name at the end of the day. MV will add more W's next to the Eagles name this season. He has did his time and many big names are standing behind him and supporting him. For this I won't burn all my Eagles gear and I will still support them with picking up MV. Go Birds!

From a Falcon to an Eagle, y'all can have him! Just don't start counting those Ws too soon. I don't think his game is going to be the same.

Eric Larsen
08-14-2009, 7:24 PM
I have similar concerns about my neighbors.

I live in the sonora desert. It is currently 105f outside as I type this. Two weeks ago, it was 117f.

I have neighbors who come from [Someplace-that-isn't-Las-Vegas]. They have dogs. They keep their dogs outside in this hellish climate. No doghouse, insufficient water, never allowed inside the house. They think that's ok. I don't.

I called animal control one time. The person who picked up the phone said, "I sympathize, but they come from [Someplace-that-isn't-Las-Vegas], it's a cultural thing. If we took their dogs, we'd have to take half the dogs in Las Vegas."

My reply.... "So?????"

I've quit trying, and instead hope for a quick and merciful death for these animals, who suffer every day without shelter in this heat.

Vick is just an extreme example of a societal problem -- a society that has no qualms about rodeo, sportfishing, bullfighting, running with the bulls in Pamplona, cockfights, dogfights, etc.

(Keep in mind, I hunt. I fish. But I only kill what I'll eat. If it's not worth eating, why kill the animal? For sport?)

PS -- How do I prevent killing fish I have no intention of eating? Riffe speargun, naturally...

Rich Stewart
08-15-2009, 6:54 AM
Watched Vick in the interview. Put some horns on him and it is Lucifer!

Chuck Wintle
08-15-2009, 7:18 AM
it seems when you mix talent and the NFL then no crime can be bad enough for them short of murder perhaps. Who thought the NFL would not take him back? This man is acting and talking just like his lawyers told him to. He is not real and it should be obvious.

John Shuk
08-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Some things people do they just can't take back. They say the true mark of a person is how they treat people who have no recourse. I think we found out what kind of piece of garbage this guy is. And what kind of pieces of garbage anyone who would pay him millions of dollars and peddle him as some sort of idol.
I hope the Eagles play to an empty stadium until this guy is gone.
The sad thing is that it ain't gonna happen.

Greg Peterson
08-15-2009, 11:37 AM
My initial impression is that he is going through the PR talking points, saying the right things.

It is obvious that he lacks empathy. Perhaps someone with credentials can weigh in on this, but I don't believe that empathy can be taught. You either have it or you don't. Therefore, Vick is not truely remorseful. Vick IS a monster and apparently the NFL is just the place for him.

Gotta go, my dog wants to play, she's brought four tug toys to me in the past five minutes. And now she's just sitting here staring at me.

Dave Johnson29
08-15-2009, 3:55 PM
From a Falcon to an Eagle

Hey welcome back stranger,

You been working, shirking or lurking? :D

Jim King
08-15-2009, 5:18 PM
I am old enough to remember when professional sports was looked up to. It was full of a bunch of adult kids that played hard both on and off the feild. They were never involved in scandels such as this and were a bright spot for the kids to look up to and not like this individual.

What is more sad than the individual is that a profesional team will lower themselves to this level to work with this class of people. Is this what America represents and wants the world to see ?????????.

Do the crime , pay a little time and then be a hero. SICK SICK SICK

Eric Larsen
08-15-2009, 5:56 PM
I am old enough to remember when professional sports was looked up to. It was full of a bunch of adult kids that played hard both on and off the feild. They were never involved in scandels such as this and were a bright spot for the kids to look up to and not like this individual.

I'm calling shenanigans on this one. Here are some links to scandals during the "glory days" of sports:

Ty Cobb beats the tar out of a fan in the stands who has no hands. (http://baseball.suite101.com/article.cfm/ty_cobbs_ugliest_scandal)

The Black Sox Scandal, naturally... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sox_Scandal)

Dock Ellis throws no-hitter while tripping on LSD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dock_Ellis)

The College Hoops Point Shaving Scandal (http://espn.go.com/classic/s/basketball_scandals_explosion.html)

Mike Tyson's ear-biting fight against Holyfeld (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/espn25/story?page=moments/30)

Running a dog fighting ring probably surpasses Tonya Harding hiring a thug to whack Nancy Kerrigan. Seems to me, there's been a big scandal every 10 years, and minor scandals every year.

Bob Rufener
08-16-2009, 10:54 PM
The image that professional sports has is diminishing rapidly. The only way they are going to get credibility back is to set up strict guidelines for behaviors on and off the field and endorse them without question. The problem is: "It's all about the money!"

Belinda Barfield
08-17-2009, 8:50 AM
Hey welcome back stranger,

You been working, shirking or lurking? :D

Thanks. Working. Although, since SMC is my homepage, it would appear that I am here all the time lurking when in actuality I'm not.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-17-2009, 9:00 AM
I don't care if the convicted felon (who ever the person is or whatever the crime) has found a new social conscience, I don't care if they are remorseful, I don't care is they still claim innocence, I don't care if they are defiant and arrogant. I just don't care at all about any of that stupid politically correct bimbo crap.

The only thing I expect people to take from a stint in prison is the sure knowledge that their conduct resulted in a long uncomfortable "time out" and next time (if there is a next time) it'll be harsher.

Expecting prison to reform anyone is unrealistic and uninformed.
Prisons are penal. The lesson is "You don't want to be this guy again."

Brent Smith
08-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Anyone who treats animals as this guy did is a piece of ****. Giving him another chance to make millions is only serving to send the wrong message out to kids that look up to sports heros. Not only did he break laws, he showed himself to be morally corrupt. Is that the message that the Eagles front office wants to send out...it's Ok to harm and/or cause harm to living beings that depend on you for their care, we'll forgive you because you can help us line our pockets. The 60 minutes interview was a self serving bowl of crocodile tears. This guy couldn't care less about what he did except to the extent that it affected his wallet and landed him in a cell for a few months.

He should never have been given a second chance in pro sports, and should be ostracized by any human being with a moral conscience.

Jeffrey Makiel
08-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Giving him another chance to make millions is only serving to send the wrong message out to kids that look up to sports heros.

Forget his distasteful behavior for a moment, what parent would let their child think a good football player is a "hero"?

-Jeff :)

Brent Smith
08-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Hi Jeff,

I may be a bit older than you. When I was a kid, a good percentage our heroes were athletes. It continued on for years. Remember that Pepsi (Coke?) commercial with the kid and Mean Joe Green?

Chuck Wintle
08-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Anyone who treats animals as this guy did is a piece of ****. Giving him another chance to make millions is only serving to send the wrong message out to kids that look up to sports heros. Not only did he break laws, he showed himself to be morally corrupt. Is that the message that the Eagles front office wants to send out...it's Ok to harm and/or cause harm to living beings that depend on you for their care, we'll forgive you because you can help us line our pockets. The 60 minutes interview was a self serving bowl of crocodile tears. This guy couldn't care less about what he did except to the extent that it affected his wallet and landed him in a cell for a few months.

He should never have been given a second chance in pro sports, and should be ostracized by any human being with a moral conscience.
Brent,

I feel exactly the same way you do. Vick is a piece of crap. But the NFL, in all of it's greediness only see the talent and not the character. Forgive and forget i suppose, lofty words, but money trumps all and has no morality.

Jeffrey Makiel
08-17-2009, 2:41 PM
Hi Brent,
Today, I see parents paying enormous prices to go to sports events, wear expensive clothing with sport team logos, enlist their children in every organized sport while having illegal immigrants cut their lawn, and scream at the TV while watching their favorite team play as if their life was in the hanging.

I'm almost 50 years old and grew up with canvas sneakers. I never remember my folks, my friend's folks, my neighbors, my uncles, etc., ever behaving this way.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-17-2009, 4:15 PM
Forget his distasteful behavior for a moment, what parent would let their child think a good football player is a "hero"?

That makes a lot of sense to me.
Just because some bozo has muscles and coordination and can move ball from point A to point B with some skill is hardly a qualification for hero status. I should think that there would need to be some measure of socially commendable conduct that serves the greater good of society or presents an example of such shining conduct and thinking that others can look to it as a guiding light.

It might be reasonable to say that Pat Tillman exhibited heroic attributes but were they any greater than those of any other volunteer?
I don't know for sure. I should think not. I should think that all who volunteer have demonstrated some measure of heroism.

What's a hero anyway? I guess that might be the best place to start.
Is a hero just some particularly well muscled person with high levels of coordination and speed?
Not in my book. That is merely a person who might be able to make millions of dollars selling beer and pretzels to fans of some spectator based athletic activity.

John Schreiber
08-17-2009, 7:23 PM
. . . Just because some bozo has muscles and coordination and can move ball from point A to point B with some skill is hardly a qualification for hero status. . . .

I think we hold on to the idea that anyone who excels in any arena must be a good and admirable person. We think that successful athletes must be team players with the respect of their peers. We think they must be dedicated to training and hard work. That may or may not be true and even if it is, it doesn't make them heroes.

Heroes are those who do the things which have to be done but which we are unwilling or afraid to do ourselves. The cops, firefighters and service members who go into danger on our behalf are heroes. So are the teachers, public defenders and social workers. They do the things necessary to the survival of our society, but which we look down on.

If I'm looking for someone to pattern my life after, it could be an athlete, but it is more likely to be an international aid worker or a home-care nurse.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-17-2009, 8:14 PM
[...]team players with the respect of their peers. [..] dedicated to training and hard work. That may or may not be true and even if it is, it doesn't make them heroes.

No it does not.

For several million dollars I can work hard and play well with an amazingly unlikely group of people.

Steve Kubien
08-17-2009, 10:34 PM
He has served his time, paid his debt to society and so on. He is free to pursue life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That the NFL would welcome him back into their operations is a clear sign that their values are not in line with mine.

So, basically you are saying that you do not believe in second chances. The NFL obviously does and since their values are not in line with yours.... Besides, in MV's case, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness includes playing in the NFL so.....

Before we re-convict MV or lynch him, let us all not forget all of the fine, upstanding citizens who continue to play in the NFL, NBA, MLB etc etc who have been tried and convicted of assaults against women, possesion of narcotics with the intent to traffic, drunk driving (which I believe ought to be attempted murder or if someone does die, first-degree murder) etc etc. How about cheating on their spouses? There is a nice family-value to pass on. My goodness, how many players do you honestly believe are playing their sport in a clean, drug-free way or are we all really naive enough to believe that the only ones using are the ones who get caught? Do we ban all of these folks from playing and take them out of the halls-of-fame?

Face it, professional sports is full of low-life scumbags everywhere you look. Sure, there are lots of good guys out there but you don't have to look far to find the other. Support any team you like and at some point, you are supporting a sleaze-ball.

Rant off

Greg Peterson
08-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Face it, professional sports is full of low-life scumbags everywhere you look.

You may or may not be familiar with our local pro basketball team. They were once known as the Jail Blazers. And for good reason. The loyal fans watched as the GM brought in practically every dysfunctional malcontent he could find. Pretty soon the teams off court activities were better known than their on court activities.

I've suffered through a franchise that valued atheletism over character. Us Blazer fans know first hand what happens when character is an after thought.

In other words, been there, done that. Your preaching to the choir.

Vick is free to pursue whatever interests he wants. If he wants to play football, so be it. I'm not stopping him. But I certainly am under no obligation to support his decision.

I think the NFL in particular, and pro sports in general, have a long way to go towards cleaning up their ranks. But lets face it, pro sports leagues are a rich mans endeavor, and so long as their product is generating revenue, they have very little concern. Look at baseball's absolute refusal to do anything about steriods.

Neal Clayton
08-18-2009, 2:27 AM
It is odd how we can pick and choose who this applies to. If it was a child molester going to work at a day care would you still say "He did his time" ? Even big business has a choice in their employees and I think most would pick someone with better character. He did not Just fight dogs.
I am with Keith on this one.

that's not really the same type of situation. most sexual predators have mental problems that go beyond the capabilities of our prison system.

we don't take the ability to earn a living away from other criminals who serve their time.

if we do, we'll wind up with a lot more repeat criminals than we already have.

this is his job, he did his time, so let him go back to work if someone wants to hire him.

Jerome Hanby
08-18-2009, 7:53 AM
Just a guess, but the folks you mentioned from your past probably had a life and weren't just a waste of space and resources.

Some old pseudo biblical saw comes to mind, idle hands are the devils workshop. In my case my less than idle hands give me a devil of a time in the workshop...

Hi Brent,
Today, I see parents paying enormous prices to go to sports events, wear expensive clothing with sport team logos, enlist their children in every organized sport while having illegal immigrants cut their lawn, and scream at the TV while watching their favorite team play as if their life was in the hanging.

I'm almost 50 years old and grew up with canvas sneakers. I never remember my folks, my friend's folks, my neighbors, my uncles, etc., ever behaving this way.

Jim King
08-18-2009, 9:22 AM
The only thing that bothers me is that if the dogs had attacked someone on the street and acted lick Vick they would have been destroyed. Justice is not equal.

Randy Cohen
08-18-2009, 3:05 PM
My son was at the gym yesterday and overheard a couple of guys saying they want to get eagles t-shirts...this is in the town next to Blacksburg, VA....VA Tech country.