PDA

View Full Version : peppermill finish question

Dale Coons
08-13-2009, 9:27 PM
Working on a madrone burl peppermill--its looking nice but I have a finishing question--I've used friction polish on some others I've made with good results (walnut, maple, osage), but the burl wood doesn't seem as hard or sturdy. I've buffed it out with tripoli and white diamond, but I'm wondering if I ought to try a CA or polyurthane finish to toughen up the wood a little. Or maybe I'm just a worry wart. Any thoughts/suggestions? :confused:

Bernie Weishapl
08-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Dale I have always used Minwax Antique Oil on mine. Buff after drying a week or more.

Bob Hallowell
08-13-2009, 10:43 PM
I use CA now on all my mills it makes a wonderful finish. I by it in 16oz containers as you can use a 1/2oz on a mill.

Bob

Steve Mawson
08-15-2009, 8:56 AM
I am with Bernie and Bob. Something tougher than friction polish will stand up to use a lot better. They do get a lot of use at least mine does.

Brian George
08-15-2009, 4:26 PM
I switched from a gel poly to the min wax wipe on poly and am very pleased with it to date. I've made about 75-100 so far and had no complaints. Once I get caught up from craft shows I am going to try Bob Hallowell's CA finish.

Nathan Hawkes
08-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Dale I have always used Minwax Antique Oil on mine. Buff after drying a week or more.

Bernie, how many coats do you use?? I've used AO on almost all my turnings, and love it, but usually put several coats on bowls for durability. I don't buff, but do use the white scotchbrite pads on a foam drill mount before recoating. It gives a smooth finish. I'm just getting into spindle work....stoppers take a bunch of coats, CA isn't an option; $30 for 16oz of starbond is way too expensive to be using 1/2oz. on one project, unless its a natural edge bowl that might sell for a lot. I've used friction polishes on a few stoppers, but I worry that that it won't hold up its shine with all the handling that a peppermill will receive. Repeated exposure to skin oils all the time must take its toll on a surface. I haven't made a peppermill though, so??????

Bernie Weishapl
08-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Nathan I put on three coats. I have a lot of peppermills out there and have no complaints. On my stoppers I use rattle can Deft lacquer. I've had excellent luck with it. I threw my friction polish out 2 or 3 yrs ago. IMHO it is just not durable for anything except maybe pens unless it goes on something that isn't going to be handled.