PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Fort Worth with a wide planer or belt sander?

Dan Gill
08-13-2009, 9:17 PM
I have a cutting board I need to make that is 16 inches wide - about three inches too wide for my planer. Does someone in the area have a wide planer or belt sander I can use to finish this board? I realize I can do it in two pieces and glue those together, but I'd feel better about gluing it all up at once. I am in Haltom City, and work in Grapevine, so a location close to one of those places would be best.

Bill Huber
08-13-2009, 11:52 PM
I have a hand belt sander, a Ridgid 2720 that will do it if you watch it close.

Steve Jenkins
08-14-2009, 6:34 PM
If you feel like driving to McKinney I have a 20" planer and a 37" 2 head drum sander. Other than time and gas it wouldn't cost you anything.

Bill Huber
08-14-2009, 9:49 PM
If you feel like driving to McKinney I have a 20" planer and a 37" 2 head drum sander. Other than time and gas it wouldn't cost you anything.

Now you tell me Steve......:D

I just finished flatting and sanding 2, 24x36 table tops.....

I will keep you in mind next time.

Dan Gill
08-15-2009, 7:40 AM
Steve, thanks for the offer. Look for a PM.

Steve Jenkins
08-15-2009, 9:19 AM
No problem at all guys. One thing to keep in mind is the drum sander doesn't apply a lot of downward pressure so if the panel has a bow to it it will sand off the bow rather than pressing it flat. That is both good and bad. Good in that it makes for a pretty flat panel but bad as it can make the panel thinner than you might want. With table tops sometimes you can pull out a slight bow when you attach it to the support structure.

Brian Kincaid
08-17-2009, 8:32 AM
Wow Steve that is very generous of you. Does your planer have a standard head on it or a helical / byrd / spiral / whatever else these things are called?

I'm looking to upgrade and I would like a noise comparison between my lunchbox (deafening) and a real planer with a spiral head on it.

Brian

Steve Jenkins
08-17-2009, 8:55 AM
I enjoy having people come by and giving them a hand when I can. that is the thing I miss most since my move from Dallas to "the country". Other woodworkers stopping by.
My planer doesn't have a spiral head it uses the "dispozablade" set-up. Straight knife reversable and indexed so it is really easy to change knives. I have the same thing on my 16' jointer.

Robert Reece
08-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Wow Steve that is very generous of you. Does your planer have a standard head on it or a helical / byrd / spiral / whatever else these things are called?

I'm looking to upgrade and I would like a noise comparison between my lunchbox (deafening) and a real planer with a spiral head on it.

Brian

I upgraded from Dewalt lunchbox to an old Delta DC380 with a shelix head. It's is worlds different. I can talk with somebody while planing on the DC380, whereas with the old Dewalt, even the cockroaches left the shop.

Brian Kincaid
08-17-2009, 11:58 AM
I enjoy having people come by ...I have the same thing on my 16' jointer.

Who wouldn't want to see a 16 foot wide jointer? :eek:
-Brian:D

Steve Jenkins
08-17-2009, 3:37 PM
Who wouldn't want to see a 16 foot wide jointer?
-Brian

OOPS. sorry about that. got a call from Dan and he is coming by tomorrow.

Dan Gill
08-18-2009, 5:06 PM
Many thanks, Steve, for helping me out. We got that blank flat and smooth a lot faster than I could have with my handheld belt and orbital sander.

If you haven't been out to see Steve, it's worthwhile. He has a lovely piece of property way in the back of beyond. He has built beautiful cherry cabinets for the kitchen and that maple slab shelf is gorgeous. And the dogs are friendly, too.

dave pant
08-19-2009, 4:41 AM
[QUOTE=Steve Jenkins;1196132]Who wouldn't want to see a 16 foot wide jointer?
-Brian

I almost spit my pop all over my screen LOL!

Dan Gill
08-19-2009, 4:40 PM
That jointer may not be 16 feet wide, but it looks wide enough to land a small plane on! Airplane, that is.

Steve Jenkins
08-19-2009, 4:54 PM
It was nice to see you Dan. Glad I could help out. Dan discovered one thing on his way out here. Don't use google maps. They take you quite a bit out of the way. I'll gladly give directions to anyone who wants to visit.