PDA

View Full Version : Saw-Stop gloat with pics

Michael Schwartz
08-13-2009, 8:40 PM
So I finaly pulled the plug and made what some would consider a down grade, but I would disagree. I replaced my 3HP jet cabinet saw with a fully loaded Saw Stop Contractors Saw. I was not afraid to downsize to a hybrid saw since I know many furniture makers who make a living off similar powered saws.

However this saw is everything you would expect from an entry level cabinet saw, minus about 1-1/4 HP. I feel it was an upgrade over my jet, and I am very pleased. I run a one man shop so having the Saw Stop is just more peace of mind when working alone.

I have worked in shops before with Saw Stop cabinet saws, and I am finally glad to get one of my own.

Dave Bureau
08-13-2009, 9:21 PM
I think you made a smart choice.

Joe Mioux
08-13-2009, 9:33 PM
Congratulations on the new saw. If the table is flat and the blade is parallel to the fence, the wood you cut won't know the difference between your new saw and the old one. And, I would bet the saw came out of the shipping box already dialed in for accurate cuts. I know mine did.

joe

Mac Cambra
08-13-2009, 9:40 PM
Congrats on the new saw, the Sawstop saws are very nice.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Welcome to the Sawstop club. You know from now on you'll have to defend the saw from Sawstop bashers.......
That is an interesting step though. Going from a cabinet to a contractors. If it's made like it's big brother, you won't be disappointed. They make a good saw.

Don Bullock
08-14-2009, 9:36 AM
Michael, congratulations on your new SawStop. I fully understand wanting "peace of mind" when using using the table saw when you are alone. As long as you're satisfied with your new saw it doesn't matter what others might think. Welcome to the ever expanding group of SawStop owners. Enjoy!:D

Jerome Hanby
08-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Very pretty saw. How well does dust collection work?

jason lambert
08-14-2009, 1:30 PM
congrats and nice saw.

Michael Schwartz
08-14-2009, 1:49 PM
Very pretty saw. How well does dust collection work?

the saw has a dust shroud encasing the blade and a 4" port. I hooked it up to the dust collector shortly after taking this picture. The dust collection is what you would expect for that setup, it works as it should and I am pleased with it.

Paul Ryan
08-14-2009, 6:53 PM
Nice choice and congrats. Looks the same as my saw on top, the only difference is whats underneath. I think you will find SS makes a real nice table saw. With second to none saftey.

Michael Schwartz
08-14-2009, 11:37 PM
another update to the dust collection question.

I was ripping some 4'x8' 3/4" MDF today and not only did the saw handle it with ease, there was only a bit of dust left on the table, with the guard installed.

Without the guard there would be quite a bit more dust as expected with any setup but with the guard I was very impressed as there was very little.

Looking forward to the improved guard which will be available in a month that has a dust port for a hose and is supposed to offer 99% dust collection.

Frank Shannon
08-14-2009, 11:45 PM
That's a beauty. You'll never need another saw.

But I have to ask. Why not the PCS?

Michael Schwartz
08-15-2009, 3:39 AM
That's a beauty. You'll never need another saw.

But I have to ask. Why not the PCS?

would have had to wait until the end of september and I have too many projects to work on before then.

I considered waiting for the PCS but the contractor saw is so overbuilt and heavy its not too far off.

My current shop space is leased and I will likely build a shop in a few years so I also don't want to have to go to a great expense moving machinery. If I build a shop 5 years down the road I will add a second table saw, and go for the PCS or the full blown sawstop.

It was a bit of a tough choice not to wait but the contractor saw is so overbuilt, and as I said in my original post I know plenty of furniture makers who make a living off hybrid sized saws. Had to make a decision so I chose to take the path of getting something in my shop to work with the next day.

I can also put the money saved into replacing my delta shop master planer with a real machine.

Harlan Coverdale
08-15-2009, 6:24 AM
Congrats. I think you're the first person I've heard of to go from a cabinet saw to a contractor saw, but I think you did it for excellent reasons. I hope to have one of the SawStop models in my shop one day, too.

Frank Shannon
08-19-2009, 5:29 PM
would have had to wait until the end of september and I have too many projects to work on before then.

I considered waiting for the PCS but the contractor saw is so overbuilt and heavy its not too far off.

My current shop space is leased and I will likely build a shop in a few years so I also don't want to have to go to a great expense moving machinery. If I build a shop 5 years down the road I will add a second table saw, and go for the PCS or the full blown sawstop.

It was a bit of a tough choice not to wait but the contractor saw is so overbuilt, and as I said in my original post I know plenty of furniture makers who make a living off hybrid sized saws. Had to make a decision so I chose to take the path of getting something in my shop to work with the next day.

I can also put the money saved into replacing my delta shop master planer with a real machine.

A good use for the $1000 you saved. And the first time that PCS burned a board you'd be asking yourself. Now why did I spend the extra $1000 on this saw? Same safety. Same fence. Same burned piece of 8/4 maple. And I don't have a cool new planer to fix it. Hummmm. I see your point.

Paul Janders
08-19-2009, 9:55 PM
Nice looking piece of equipment Michael. Congratulations!

Charles Wilson
08-26-2009, 4:47 PM
I would be interested in a review on the saw's performance or at least your (or anyone else who uses the SS contractor) or at least your initial impressions.

Congrats,

Chuck

Michael Schwartz
08-26-2009, 5:42 PM
I would be interested in a review on the saw's performance or at least your (or anyone else who uses the SS contractor) or at least your initial impressions.

Congrats,

Chuck

The saw is very heavy solid. It passed the nickel test, and the nickel still remained standing after jerking the saws stand a few times.

It seems to have quite a bit of power, you can tell its not a 3 or 5 hp motor but I ripped some 1-1/2" laminated mdf and it cut it just fine with no loss of power.

It will cut anything within its capacity just fine. If I get to a point where I am ripping substantial amounts of 8/4 or 10/4 stock on a regular bases I will probably add the full sized sawstop cabinet saw to my shop.

The fence system is the same as the saws top cabinet saws, and the cast iron wings are the same as the sawstop PCS.

The trunnion and arbor are heavier and much larger than any contractor saw I have seen.

The saw cuts precisely and smoothly. The dust collection is very good with the guard, and I am looking forward to upgrading to the new improved guard when it comes out.

Overall the fit and finish of the saw are of the highest quality. Its in the category of a contractor saw but its far beyond what you would expect from one.

Other than the slight loss of power compared to a cabinet saw it cuts just as well as any cabinet saw in its price range.

Tim Null
08-26-2009, 8:28 PM
Just bought one myself. I pick it up on Saturday in Ventura at the WoodCraft there. Can't wait. I too work alone most of the time. I am also on heavy duty blood thinners, so when I get cut it takes forever to stop the bleeding.

When I first started woodworking about a little over a year ago, I seriously cut my minor index finger with my miter saw. I was doing a stupid cut that I knew I shouldn't, but I thought I could get away with it. Took a second to do, over a month to heal and a year for the nail to grow back on my thumb, which took a whack from the piece of wood that shot out from the saw.

It took hours and hours for the bleeding to stop. So when I saw the SawStop, it was soon on my wish list. A client in my business finally paid an old invoice that we had about written off, $2000.00, so the LOML said to go ahead and happy anniversary, our 20th. Think I'll keep her.....

Charles Wilson
08-26-2009, 9:17 PM
The contractor is a lot of scratch (especially for a hobbyist - me). I basically operate using a Festool workshop now (with a band saw and some other power hand tool).

I just asked my wife if I could buy a SS contractor. She said, "I don't care". Then again, I think that she thinks I can go out back and pick money off a tree. I really hate being the financially responsible one. :)

As a less expensive alternative, I was considering the Parallel guides by Festool. I don't want to hi-jack but does anyone have any experiences with them?

Chuck