PDA

View Full Version : General Table Saw

Paul Dell'Anno
09-07-2004, 9:56 PM
After months of research/debate, I finally took the plunge and purchased the General Left Tilt Contractor's saw with 52" rip capacity. I have started to assemble the saw and have a question. The top is coated with an oily substance and I am wondering what is the best way to clean it off. Any help is appreciated.

thomas prevost
09-07-2004, 10:02 PM
kersosene is what Grizzley and Delta have recommended for their tools. Somehwere I read in a Delta manual not to use paint thinner. Can't remember why they said not to.

Shelley Bolster
09-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Hi Paul, I agree with Thomas about using kerosene. After I cleaning my saw with the kerosene I sprayed on a couple of coats of Top Cote and polished - smooth as silk. Hey, congrats on the new saw! :D
Shelley

Joe Mioux
09-07-2004, 10:27 PM
Hi Paul:

You will like this saw, I have the same one. I used Mess Master spray and a razor blade scraper to clean the top. Mess Master (by Design Master) spray can be purchased at any flower shop. It works great on all sorts of things. i.e tar on rugs etc.

You will probably have someother questions with the assembly of the saw. The instructions are hard to read. Also, pay close attention to assembling the motor mount. In my instructions, the assembly procedure was backwards. Hopefully, General has corrected the error. Also the assembly of the belt guard is hard to read. Let me know if you need help with that.

Good Luck
Joe

Cecil Arnold
09-07-2004, 11:20 PM
I've found that varsol works well and hasn't damaged any paint. You should wear gloves and take the standard precautions you would with any combustable liquid.

Joe Meazle
09-07-2004, 11:37 PM
Don't forget lots of paper towels. Thalt saw looks to be a great value.

congrats,
Joe

larry merlau
09-08-2004, 11:17 AM
the reason they dont want you to use paint thinner is to proteck the painted surfaces and the instruction manuals are made for the right tilt models so some things are backwards for the left tilt. then after cleaning use some top coat,also you should get some dry lube for the trunion and all gearing for better use and cleaning in the future.

Steve Clardy
09-08-2004, 2:03 PM
Congrats on the new saw Paul.:)
I second the kerosene motion, or third, or fourth.:)

Oh ya. Be aware of the picture patrol though. No pics, and they are ON YA!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Steve

Chris Padilla
09-08-2004, 3:26 PM
I use a citrus-based product to remove that gunk. Smells better and isn't as dangerous nor expensive as kersosene (okay, I don't know this for a fact!).

Once cleaned and polished up a bit (or whatever you want to do), I would use the T-9 stuff to protect it from rust and then top that with your favorite product: paste wax, top coat....I use Slip-It.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2004, 12:01 AM
Paul....congrats on the new saw! I'm jealous!

Chris.......you're falling down on the job.....You didn't demand pics from Paul!

Kelly C. Hanna
09-09-2004, 8:30 AM
Congrats on the saw! I am waiting for a Grizzly 1023S and will have lots of cosmoline to clean up, too. I used WD 40 last time...worked great.